Inquiry - making ISOs from protected CDs

vbimport

I have many hundreds of game CDs, and have started archiving them onto ISO images. I hope to archive my entire collection, much like I have done with my audio CDs and am doing with my casette tapes. I would like to box up my CDs and put them into storage, and use only the ISOs to intall and play my games.

In other words, I do not want to use backup CDs. I want to use the ISO images only.

However, I encountered several CDs that apparently have some kind of copy protection on them. I am using ISO Recorder to extract the ISOs, and it frequently gets an error code 0000017 on these CDs.

So, what I have here is a general question:

Is it possible to create standard ISO images of copy protected CDs?

I want to make this as simple as possible, and would prefer to avoid requirements for special settings to mount the ISO images. They should work like any other ISOs.

Assuming it can be done, which of the many different software packages should I be using to do it? I understand that I may need to identify the copy protection on each CD individually and go through a few hoops to create the ISOs…I just don’t want to spin my wheels trying the wrong thing.

If there’s no protection you can simply create an iso as you did. When protection is used it depends on the protection which way creating a copy will be ‘successful’. How to scan your games can be found here.

just be careful, if it is protected, the majority of the protection schemes will not work should you ever try to record back from the ISO file, such as proprietary image files will need to eb made based on specific software… ie: CloneCD does not create an ISO, but a *.ccd file instead

Ok, I have scanned my copy protected CDs. Most of them are SafeDisc or SecuRom:

American McGee’s Alice Safedisc 2.05.030
Dungeon Siege Safedisc Lite
Half-Life - Opposing Force Safedisc 1.35.000
Neverwinter Nights SecuRom - 4.76.00.0051 (play only?)
Pool of Radiance Safedisc 2.40.010
Star Trek Klingon Academy SafeDisc 1.45.011 (\dplayerx.dll)
Wizardry 8 (CD 3 only) Safedisc 2.40.010 (2.51?)

So…what program / technique would allow me to turn these into standard ISO images?

As xtacydima mentioned forget about the ISO images. In my opinion CloneCD would be the best choice dealing with this old protection versions of SecuROM and SafeDisc (Lite) use the [I]Protected PC Game[/I] profile for reading.

You can make standard .iso images of all of them [B]but[/B] none of them will work (except perhaps for Dungeon Siege where the guard module only checks occasionally at launch).

For safedisc protected games you need a raw image format (e.g. bin/cue, mds/mdf, etc). For securom protected games with v. 4.77.0050 or higher you need images made with either alcohol or blindwrite in the native format of the program and the image nust be made together with a measurement of the physical characteristics of cd (called dpm in alcohol and topology in blindwrite).

So far so good. I have been able to make working copies of my CDs in mds/mdf format. It’s too bad they don’t match all the ISOs but I guess copy protection isn’t designed to be convenient to the consumer. They take a lot longer to create, but at least they seem to mount just as easily into Daemon Tools.

The only thing I really don’t like about this solution is that each CD now becomes 2 files instead of one. Is there a single-file option that will work with these?

^ For the safedisc protected cds you can use discjuggler. Discjuggler can also be used for securom protected cds up to v. 4.77.0029 but not for any later version of securom.