Inkjets

i have been using inkjet printable cds
with a epson r200 printer and not using original epson ink

i use the cds in hot conditions (nightclubs)
if the cds get wet they smudge if i dont use a fixing spay

could this be avoided if i maybe use different ink ??? or different cds
or a different type of cd maybe

i have also had some reading issues
i am going to be moving on to branded cdr any sugestions

the thing is i hate marking them up witha marker pen it looks rubish and untidy

No there is no ink to fix that issue, however many spray the the tops with a laquar type spray which works very well provided you keep it of the other side. I do not yet do this on my product or personel disks but will soon, I think maybe another member that has doen this for some time will share there method of how best to do so? :slight_smile:
Jenni

Hi marmaduke, A couple of recent threads in this forum have been discussing Taiyo Yuden Watershield CD / DVD media. I haven’t used them, but other members are reporting good results for water / humidity resistance which may solve your issue.
Changing ink probably won’t help with that problem.

Patricia Nimock’s from Wal-Mart’s fabric/craft dept. ~$5/can in Matte or Gloss.

I tried that on a TY printable and it turned out “splotchy” (dotted where spray didn’t take).
So, when I sprayed another coat, it ran under the disc and still left circles of non spray. Good thing it was a coaster to begin with.

I tried that on a TY printable and it turned out “splotchy” (dotted where spray didn’t take).
So, when I sprayed another coat, it ran under the disc and still left circles of non spray. Good thing it was a coaster to begin with.

you are spraying to much I have used the Wall Mart method on about 50-60 DVDs came out very good you can not even tell they have been sprayed and all are water proof.

Only do light coats. If you want more stuff on the disc then wait 1 min and do it again.

I do:
Put disc on sheet of card
Quick zig zag motion across disc from 20cm, pass lasting about 1-2 seconds
Rotate sheet of card 90 degrees (Or move yourself depending on how lazy you are)
Respray using same motion
Leave until dry (Depends on the warmth of the room)

Its the same as spray painting, use many coats rather than one thick coat. One thin coat should waterprrof the disc. If you want a glossy finish then you need to use 3 or 4 coats, depending on the disc.

Thank you, I shall give it another try when I get a disc I don’t care about.
When I first started to spray, It looked matted and I turned it and sprayed that way but I guess I sprayed too much to cause the blotches which never took.

Give some Taiyo Yuden WaterShield and Imation/Memorex AquaGuard discs a try.

Give some Taiyo Yuden WaterShield… discs a try
Agreed. Forget spraying them. I used to spray mine but no more since I started using the TY WaterShields.

You can purchase them from Rima.com

[quote="ROPC Give some Taiyo Yuden WaterShield discs a try.

MSmart99"]
Agreed. Forget spraying them. I used to spray mine but no more since I started using the TY WaterShields.You can purchase them from Rima.com
[/quote]

Thank you both!
I shall check out Rima on them.