Inkjet G04s and the 411S

vbimport

This is my first post here so bear with me. :smiley:

I have a modded Xbox, and I’ve been trying to burn some homebrew games and emulation stuff to DVD-Rs. From the fine folks over at www.xbox-scene.com, Ritek G04s appear to be the best solution (besides TY).

I ordered some inkjet printable G04s from blankmedia.ca, but NONE of them play anywhere! I even backed-up a DVD and tested it on 5 different DVD players with no luck.

I just tried K-Probe for the first time, and I read the posting results FAQ so here goes:

Lite-On 411S with FS0J firmware

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG04]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 76 0e 14 88 9a 80 00 .@…R…v…
0010 : 03 52 49 54 45 4b 47 00 04 30 34 00 00 00 00 00 .RITEKG…04…
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 08 12 11 86 67 80 00 …g…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 05 1b 0e 10 08 09 00 …

It seems to be a bad burn, but since I’m such a n00b at kprobe I have no idea.

Did I just get a bad batch of discs or is it something worse? I haven’t had any problems burning other types of discs BTW. I can even play some +Rs in my Xbox with bitsetting on -ROM.

hey Leathal

ur kprobe scans arent particularly great, but they’re not that bad either. It seems like the box just doesn’t like printable media. My old rom drives don’t support it either. Seems as if u’ll just need to try some of the non-printable types.

Sometimes the DVD discs can be read, but only the first few chapters. After I get past say Ch. 8, the video freezes up and I can hear the disc whirring around in there.

Same with burned Xbox games. The game can get through the intro movie and maybe even load the first few levels. After that, the game freezes and eventually gives me a Dirty Disc Error.

I ordered some more -Rs (Taiyo-Yuden 4x, G04 Shiny, G04 -RW). They should be coming in today, so we’ll see how those work out.

Quick question:
I use Nero 6 to burn my DVDs. I’ve seen some posts around here using RecordNow. Is this software better for burning DVDs?

With some players you will have read problems when PI is above 300, that’s why you get freezes in your players after chapter 8th.

HI
Hmm , did’t know there was a difference between printable and non printable media as far as reading goes

How so ?

I would have thought that a dye type is readable or not readable on a given machine , how does the surface of the disc have a bearing on whether it reads or not?

does this mean that inkjet printed media is even more touchy then non printed media ?

yikes !

Regards

Mark

Printable or not doesn’t make a difference, the reason your Xbox chokes is those high 700’ish PI numbers.

Simple solution, go back to firmware FS0F for use with -R discs.
With g04 dye discs i never go more than 30/8, with 700/200 the only thing that DVD is good for is as the rubbish bin.

Anything above 280/30 in my experiance is not a good burn and will give you problems, FS0F all the way!

P.s. PM me if you need the file.

I am so confused now.

I got a few samples of shiny G04s (non-printable), and they all burned fine! (with the same firmware no less)

I’m gonna downgrade to FS0F and try the printable ones again.

I never thought burning DVDs would be such a pain in the ass. I’m so used to just tossing in a CD-R to burn and having my music work in every CD player except for some really crappy ones.

as I told u earlier on in the thread, some players have issues with printable media possibly due to differences in reflectivity or so. just stick with non printable G04s - for now at least. Great thing is, is that now u’ve found a solution that works for u:iagree: . hopefully, things will get better in time that any disc burned in any drive and work in any player. unfortunately that time hasn’t come yet. but for now, u knows whats u’s gots to dos.

Leathal, did you have any success with the printable G04s & FS0F? If printable media is so touchy, why the hell are manufacturers allowed to sell it without any warnings to its compatibility with certain players???

Thanks,
jawgee

Originally posted by jawgee
[B]Leathal, did you have any success with the printable G04s & FS0F? If printable media is so touchy, why the hell are manufacturers allowed to sell it without any warnings to its compatibility with certain players???

Thanks,
jawgee [/B]

:bow:
Yes! FS0F is giving me sooo much better burns on -R now (but I can’t bitset anymore right?)

I gotta pick someone up at the airport right now, but I’ll post the KProbe scans when I get back.

:bow: <— you guys stole this from Offtopic.com, heh

Bitsetting does not work with -R media anyway, so no loss.

If you are planning on burning +R media, you can upgrade to HS0J and use the bitsetting tool.

Originally posted by genericuser
[B]Bitsetting does not work with -R media anyway, so no loss.

If you are planning on burning +R media, you can upgrade to HS0J and use the bitsetting tool. [/B]

Isn’t HS0J an 811S firmware?

I don’t want to do that sketchy 411@811 mod until they work more of the bugs out.

im glad ur burns work better on FS0F, its the only way i can get good burns with my 411s on -R discs. I have tried ALL the firwares for the 411s and i have used the v4 zebra mod to make it to a 811s. I tried all the fimwares for that too and so far the only one that gives decent burns (outstanding actualy) is the FS0F firmware (although the HS0E wasnt too bad).

As for +R discs i have no idea because as of yet i have’nt burnt one.

My apologies… I meant FS0J for the 411s. That one will be your best bet on +r media.

interested to hear about the printable ritek’s, I have a 411s and am having same problem am using fsof firmware and have tried using nero 6 and clone dvd only managed one good burn that was from clonedvd, with nero on verify data was getting inaccessible chapters being reported, guess i’ll have to shelve them till new firmware come out.