Information on Plasmon DVD-R / CD-R?

vbimport

Hi all :slight_smile:

Not been on the forum for a while, how is everyone doing? :slight_smile:

Just had a browse through the forum for some information, but I can’t seem to directly find what I’m looking for.

Has anyone had any really negative experience using Plasmon CD-Rs? I can’t seem to find any information on them, beyond ‘They are low quality manufacturers’ :expressionless:

Long time no see :slight_smile:

I’ve only burned half a spindle of Plasmon CDRs, but needless to say quite a few failed to burn (at 16x-24x-32x, before you ask!). I tossed the ones that were left out of fear they’d not last long (wasn’t burning them for my own use). :eek:

The burns were done on a Sammy SH-S183A.

Hopefully others have had better luck.

What brand were they, Arachne?

And good evening to you ma’am :smiley:

They were Intenso Branded IIRC.

Good evening to you too Sir :slight_smile:

OH GAWD! I was going to buy some of them today!

So glad I abstained.

…Think I’ll go and commit suicide on some Arita CD-Rs on Thursday.

LOL, how lucky was that then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind you, saying that they could’ve been anything. You might’ve got lucky! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2635908]LOL, how lucky was that then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind you, saying that they could’ve been anything. You might’ve got lucky! :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, currently Arita is the cheapest in a store called Icon UK in Barnsley - so I can pick them up when I need them :slight_smile:

Aren’t RITEK CD-Rs supposed to be mid way decent, though? Better than CMC MAG CD-R at any rate :confused:

£7 for a pack of 50 :slight_smile:

I like Ritek’s CD media, but I’ve not used it under the Arita brand, just Maxell/Maxell Music. Oh and Traxdata.

They should be OK, hopefully. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2635910] [B][I]hopefully[/I][/B]. :)[/QUOTE]

Arachne, we’ve been through this :doh: :bigsmile:

Welcome back [B]Chad[/B].

I always avoid discs with a Plasmon ATIP code. They aren’t made by Plasmon, but by a small manufacturer which doesn’t have its own ATIP code (usually in Hong Kong or China, e.g. Umedisc). Plasmon’s only contribution was making the stamper.

Unless you have [B]Pepst’s[/B] encyclopedic knowledge, you won’t know who made the discs or whose dye they were using. And your drive won’t know either, so it will have to use a generic write strategy. In any case, a manufacturer which has to use a generic ATIP code is unlikely to have particularly high production standards. ;):iagree:

(The same goes for Multi-Media Masters & Machinery, another common generic ATIP code.)

[OT] In the distant past, did Plasmon ever manufacture their own CD-R/RW or DVD±R/RW discs? [/OT]

In the past 3-4 years I have had quite a few audiobooks from the library which were on Plasmon ATIP CD-R (rather than the usual Taiyo Yuden). I found that even when they were new, there was an unacceptably high number of discs which were partially unreadable. And things only got worse with age.

Arita is one of Ritek’s own brands, but the consensus was they they use it for selling their B-grade discs (or worse!). I would recommend sticking with Traxdata (Ritek’s A-grade brand) or Maxell. These days I find Maxell (especially the printable ones) to be more consistent than Traxdata.

CMC Magnetics CD-R are not bad at all. Like Ritek, the quality varies a lot depending on the brand - some brands are known for always selling the lower grade discs. But I’ve never had any problems with their CD-R discs degrading. I encountered a couple of discs which were partially unreadable in a very old laptop CD-ROM drive, but these were (freshly written) substandard discs sold under a disreputable brand. The same comments apply to Ritek CD-R.

Here is a recent discussion on the subject of CMC Magnetics CD-R:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2635938]Welcome back [B]Chad[/B].

I always avoid discs with a Plasmon ATIP code. They aren’t made by Plasmon, but by a small manufacturer which doesn’t have its own ATIP code (usually in Hong Kong or China, e.g. Umedisc). Plasmon’s only contribution was making the stamper.

Unless you have [B]Pepst’s[/B] encyclopedic knowledge, you won’t know who made the discs or whose dye they were using. And your drive won’t know either, so it will have to use a generic write strategy. In any case, a manufacturer which has to use a generic ATIP code is unlikely to have particularly high production standards. ;):iagree:

(The same goes for Multi-Media Masters & Machinery, another common generic ATIP code.)

[OT] In the distant past, did Plasmon ever manufacture their own CD-R/RW or DVD±R/RW discs? [/OT]

In the past 3-4 years I have had quite a few audiobooks from the library which were on Plasmon ATIP CD-R (rather than the usual Taiyo Yuden). I found that even when they were new, there was an unacceptably high number of discs which were partially unreadable. And things only got worse with age.

Arita is one of Ritek’s own brands, but the consensus was they they use it for selling their B-grade discs (or worse!). I would recommend sticking with Traxdata (Ritek’s A-grade brand) or Maxell. These days I find Maxell (especially the printable ones) to be more consistent than Traxdata.

CMC Magnetics CD-R are not bad at all. Like Ritek, the quality varies a lot depending on the brand - some brands are known for always selling the lower grade discs. But I’ve never had any problems with their CD-R discs degrading. I encountered a couple of discs which were partially unreadable in a very old laptop CD-ROM drive, but these were (freshly written) substandard discs sold under a disreputable brand. The same comments apply to Ritek CD-R.

Here is a recent discussion on the subject of CMC Magnetics CD-R:

Hi, thanks for welcoming me back :slight_smile: I was thinking about asking for information about UmeDisc discs too, since I was vaguely aware that Plasmon only supplied the stamper - but I can’t seem to find much information about UmeDisc at all? :confused:

Nice to know you’ve had positive experiences with Ritek and CMC; I can’t seem to say the same for me; my experience is a very much a mixed bag with rather lousy burning gear - which probably didn’t help either…

In either case, since my new laptop now has a less flaky burner, I’m going to try Ritek and CMC out again. All I know is, Pioneer and CMC is a very bad combo in both the CD and DVD departments; and Sony make lousy CD-RW drives :Z

My BenQ’s didn’t seem to like CMC much either. All my other drives do OK with it though, in particular my Optiarc and Sammies.

Thanks Ibex for all that info, you learn something new everyday on here :cool:

Re: the Sony CD-RW - you sure that’s not another drive in Sony clothing? My Sony CD-RW was actually a LiteOn - and a good, if noisy, one at that :wink:

To Arachne;

Y U NO ANSWER MY PERSONAL MAIL!?

:bigsmile:

Whinge whinge whinge :bigsmile: - you have PM!

We’d better get back on topic, or I’ll be slapping myself with my own kippers, let alone you :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2635987]Whinge whinge whinge :bigsmile: - you have PM!

We’d better get back on topic, or I’ll be slapping myself with my own kippers, let alone you :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hey! [B]I[/B] conceived, wrote, produced this thread, so I’ve paid for it! It goes [B]my[/B] way! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2635990]Hey! [B]I[/B] conceived, wrote, produced this thread, so I’ve paid for it! It goes [B]my[/B] way! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

LOOOOOL that told me :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2635992]LOOOOOL that told me :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

You can thank me later :wink:

By the way, why do we ALWAYS get off-thread when [I]you[/I] comment? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2635981]Re: the Sony CD-RW - you sure that’s not another drive in Sony clothing? My Sony CD-RW was actually a LiteOn - and a good, if noisy, one at that ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I missed this quote :eek:

I think the Sony was indeed a rebaded LiteOn :eek:

Never again.

Once I did encounter some Ritek CD-R which were degrading very badly (a Chris Stewart audiobook from the library), but on closer inspection they turned out to be fake discs.

Fortunately fake CDs are much rarer than fake DVDs. Using someone else’s MID code is simple, they just change a setting on the machinery. But the ATIP code on CDs is created by the stamper, so you would need to either steal a stamper (maybe a worn out one earmarked for disposal) or find someone prepared to manufacture one with someone else’s ATIP code (which no respectable manufacturer would do).

Much commoner are discs in fake packaging. Someone recently bought a pack of Verbatim Extra Protection CD-R marked as made in India, but the discs inside had a Plasmon ATIP code instead of the expected Moser Baer. A disreputable manufacturer (probably in China) had meticulously reproduced Verbatim’s packaging & printing on the disc.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2635981]Thanks [B]Ibex[/B] for all that info, you learn something new everyday on here :cool:
[/QUOTE]
So you can teach an old cat new tricks. :cool: (Sorry, but 32,666 posts definitely counts as old :p)

Its quite remarkable really how much negative experience people have on Plasmon discs - In all but Poundland shops and supermarket discs, Plasmon ATIPs are pretty much nowhere to be found!

Do these cheap Hong Kong manufacturers mainly target European countries? I know in Germany they have some very bizarre media combinations…