Info on video formats commonly used

I am a real newbie when it comes to video. I get video in different forms and have been experimenting with the winavi program. All i have done is convert a few movies
to dvd format.

Here’s my problem. I dont know what the difference is between dvd, avi, and all the many other video formats. Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains all this? If so, i would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance.

I would like to know this information too… so if someone could respond … please let us know! Thanks

All the Info you want is at your finger tips and it explains it in detail and the best thing about it is you don’t even have to wait for some body to reply to your post. Do you want to know where ??? All you have to do is open [B] Google [/B] and type AVI Wiki or what ever else you want to know and you have all the info strait away right in front of you explained in detail. Just give it a try and you will be asking your self why didn’t I do it 4 hours ago and would have saved my self all this time waiting for somebody to reply. :slight_smile:

Google is great. But when you are real green in an area you tend to ignore some info as you dont even know its revelant, and so on. So, i find, getting a bit of info from the pros is the best way to start. Then use google after that. Asking those in the know is better, so i am asking.
If you dont wish to help out, just dont reply.
thank you

Try here and look at the What Is in the top left corner.

Personally I will try more to help those who’ve tried to help themselves first.

We could start by separating all the names out into categories:

Physical disc formats:
eg CD, DVD… (+R, -R, +RW, -RW, RAM)

Video formats (common):

MPEG1 - as found in VideoCD (VCD) ie MPEG1 on a CD
MPEG2 - as found in Super VCD (SVCD), and DVD-Video
MPEG4 - as found in XviD, DivX, H.264, NeroMP4, AVC…

File formats:
avi (audio/video interleave)
vob (video object)
mpg (MPEGx - usually MPEG2)
Note that an avi file can contain any of the above video formats, but because is usually found with XviD or DivX inside, the names are often synonymous.

Thanks a lot guys… and thanks for the list … it really helps me that you broke it all down… now when I search google and get the meaning for them I know how to compare each one and what category it is in… thanks.