Influence of humidity/temperature on burn quality

vbimport

This “discovery” is not really new, but I would like to discuss it with you, since my recent results are quite impressive (look at the scans):

The ambient conditions like humidity and/or temperature seem to have a noticeable influence on burn quality.

I burnt the same (!!) CD-RW (Intenso, 4-10x, “Ritek type 0”) several times. It had been used before, and the bad result was reproducible, I did several full erases and burns to be sure that it really stayed that bad.

1. scan: burnt yesterday evening. The room temperature wasn’t very different from this morning, but the humidity was probably much higher (can’t measure it though, unfortunately).
  2. scan: burnt the same CD-RW this morning (full erase and burn).

How are your experiences?

I have once burned a MCC-004-00 on an LG 4163B right after coastering 10 ricoh 8x +r, just to warm up the drive… result: PIE > 1400. Usually, it stayed at like 20…

Nevertheless… C1 max > 6000 is amazing :slight_smile: :clap:

:eek:

Nevertheless… C1 max > 6000 is amazing :slight_smile: :clap:
Hm, the scan is somewhat strange: you notice that shortly after 600 MB the C1/C2 levels drop abruptly. I think the drive slowed down there, because the disc became really unreadable. PlexTools showed CUs as well. Therefore, I’m not sure if the C1max is realistic, because it could perhaps result from the drive slowing down.

Alex, do you think you will be able to integrate CU errors into PxScan someday? That’s really something I’m missing.

They are integrated, just look at your pictures at the stats :smiley: They are just not graphically visualized.

As your drive supports 10x as the only speed on those discs, I don’t think it slowed down. Maybe it just recalibrated.

Personally I think temperature has more influence than humidity. However without having proper control of the environment the drive is working in it’s anyones guess as to how the effects are.

Also IMHO RWs are notorious for giving wildly different results in every burn. Therefore if you wish to investigate this further i’d recommend you use -R media, where the basic results are more stable and any differencies are not influenced on how your RW-Disk feels today :slight_smile:

Oooooops! :o :bigsmile:

As your drive supports 10x as the only speed on those discs, I don’t think it slowed down. Maybe it just recalibrated.
No, not during burning, but during scanning. I actually heard that it slowed down.

Ah yes, of course, look at the scanning time. What you can see is that it took more than 6 minutes instead of <4m30s, meaning that the write quality was too crappy to read the disc at 24x speed.

I consider heat & humidity to be such a known issue that I avoid doing burns or scans when either is high. There have been 35 days this summer where the temperature has been higher than 30C and I only burned on one of them. Crap results, of course…

Heat and humidity are both factors in the performance of the drive. Why else would Plextor (and every other maunfacturer of electrical equipment) have a range of acceptable operating conditions for both temp and humidity in their manual. It ain’t there to spend money on ink!

I completed part of my testing on my new 716A and Benq DW1640 and will be posting the audio cd results shortly. As to this discussion, here are a couple of PxScans of Taiyo Yuden 48X CD-R’s burned at 16X on the Plextor. The first series was done in the morning when room temp was approximately 78 F and humidity relatively low. The second was done with room temp 90 F and significantly higher humidity the next day. The computer had been left on all night and day since the first burn. Temps at the CPU heatsink/fan by external probe ranged from 28.5 C to 34.5 C. My GeForce 6800 Ultra temp per nVidia display states current ambient temp 41 C and 57 C GPU core temp. A temp probe on the exterior of the video card’s heatsink reads 37 C currently, but there is a 120 mm fan on the side panel (four 120mm fans altogether in the case) blowing air over the card, so take these readings with a grain of salt.

Bottom line: Best burns in cooler, lower humidity conditions for the Plextor. Interestingly, the BenQ may perform better in more extreme conditions compared to the Plextor from my very small sample so far.

Picture 1: Fuji TY 48X CD-R Audio CD Burned 16X Plextor PxScan - Low Heat/Humidty (Reference point for Nero Quality Scans)
Picture 2: Fuji TY 48X CD-R Audio CD Burned 16X Plextor Nero Disc Quality - Low Heat/Humidty
Picture 3: Fuji TY 48X CD-R Burned 16X 716A Nero Disc Quality - High Heat/Humidity
Picture 4: Fuji TY 48X Audio CD Burned At 40X In BenQ Nero Disc Quality - High Heat/Humidity