Inexplicable close

vbimport

Hi,

When I try to open a folder containing video files or open an .iso file, DVDFab5 crashes without any error message, it just vanishes. :confused:

The content of dvdfab_burn_vso_crash.log is:

6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info Current Drive selected : 0:1:0 - SONY CDRWDVD CRX310S VDK2 [D] (Ide)
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info DLL Version 2.1.7.338
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\vso_hwe.dll
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info Version 5, 0, 3, 0
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info ExeName : “C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe”
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
6/8/2008 5:43:27 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

I had no problems with this with 4012, but I just upgraded to 5 today, so I don’t think it is a firmware, OS, or other hardware problem.

Thanks,

Edward

My mistake, actually I have had this problem, but no need to do anything about it, as I wasn’t using this feature since version 3.1.70. I just recently captured some laserdisc titles to my hard drive and wanted to burn the VIDEO_TS folders and couldn’t. While gritting my teeth, I tried to open some .iso files with the same mysterious crash as on attempting to open a folder.

I am now back to 3.1.70 for however long it takes to do the burning or someone has a solution.

Myself I would do a clean uninstall using the instructions from Stormjumpers sig and then redownload from the DVDFAB.com site and see if that will work, seems like you might have a corrupt file

Since it happens with both 4 and 5, I didn’t think this would be effective, but thanks for submitting something. I would think a corrupt installation file wouldn’t install in the first place, or give lots of other kinds of errors. I’m still mystified, but it’s still Sunday, so maybe the experts will come back on line tomorrow…

Thanks again

[QUOTE=edward5brode;2073817]Since it happens with both 4 and 5, I didn’t think this would be effective, but thanks for submitting something. I would think a corrupt installation file wouldn’t install in the first place, or give lots of other kinds of errors. I’m still mystified, but it’s still Sunday, so maybe the experts will come back on line tomorrow…

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Jimbo’s advice is what most of us"experts" would recommend. Also a lot more details as to exactly how you are trying to use the program. Where are the files coming from or did you make them, if the latter what program did you use to create them?

I forgot to mention that yes, I did do a reinstall and yes it is still happening.

These files/folders were created by a little program by Presto called “Digital Converter” that came with a video capture card (analog to USB). It doesn’t allow anything other than basic record/pause/stop functionality.

Once the folders are created. My idea was to convert the folders to .iso files, and then use the merge capability of DVDFab to merge them in various ways to create different collections of the content.

This works fine with DVDFab 3.1.7.0, and I am as happy with the results as could be expected with VHS captures, but am puzzled why DVDFab 4 and 5 crash without notice when I try to do it using them.

This doesn’t happen with folders or files created with DVDFab 4 or 5, only when I try to open in 4 or 5 those .iso files created by DVDFab 3.1.7.0 from the captures or when I try to open the original folders of the captures.

I’m not sure what else to tell you, but fire away if you think of something. I don’t do these kinds of projects very often, but sometimes people ask me about capturing old VHS tapes or laserdiscs, and it would be nice not to have to keep changing versions of DVDFab to do it.

Thanks again,

Edward

Edward
PathPlayer was added in version 3.2.0.0, which may explain why the later versions are crashing. I suspect that the folders created by the Presto software may not be fully DVD compliant or have otherwise unusual structures. Try disabling PathPlayer in Common Settings with v 5.0.3.0. You might also disable the read ahead cache. Also, there is no need to make ISOs before merging the content; Merge mode works well from VIDEO_TS folders.
The only “experts” are Fengtao and Ting; all the rest of us are fellow users.

I didn’t mean to sound so condescending about the “experts.” My apologies. I’ll try the suggestion when I get home tonight.

The split, merge, customize, etc features are what truly amaze me about DVDFab. It gives the kind of functionality that had only been available on tape for a long time, and even then was unbelievably tedious! :bow:

[B]I hope you are using DVD+R discs.[/B] [B]This most likely is not your problem, I just thought I would mention it.[/B]VENDOR : SONY
[B]MODEL : CDRWDVD CRX310S [/B]
[B]REVISION : VDK2[/B]
VENDOR SPECIFIC : Jul17 ,2006
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : 200607240000
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 255
BUFFER SIZE : 1536KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : YES
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : YES
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : NO
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
[B]CAN WRITE DVD-R : NO[/B]
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : NO
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 126
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 48

Disabling PathPlayer did indeed do the trick. Thanks!

As it happens, I have had no problems with DVD-R discs. It is only the DVD+Rs that people have told me they can’t read after I make them a copy of something. I think I am going to biite the bullet and buy new discs instead of trying to use up the old ones from Memorex that someone gave me as a gift for copying.

I was trying to copy the re-print of Samurai Champloo, which has a large Disc 1, and couldn’t get DVDFab to write to a DVD+R DL disc from Memorex. (It was all I could find in a hurry) Staples actually took the discs back, and I ended up doing a split which worked perfectly.

[quote=edward5brode;2074600]Disabling PathPlayer did indeed do the trick. Thanks! [/quote] PathPlayer takes a much closer look at a DVD’s structure than the earlier versions. Glad this worked for you. (Be sure to turn PathPlayer back on when you have finished with this job. It fixes far more problems than it creates.)