Inexpensive quality large capacity hard drive for my 300+ albums ripped in flac & mp3 & itunes library

vbimport

I am looking for an external hard drive either portable or a bare one that I can put into an enclosure. Any recommendations on models or brands that are reliable? I have been linked to newegg before, but they are a bit expensive. Is ebay a safe place to get a hard drive? or should I avoid that altogether?

I personally would avoid buying a hdd off of ebay you never know what you’re
going to get. If the hdd is bought off of ebay and it comes to you DOA then
most of the time you are just out of luck on getting it replaced from the seller.
You can also forget about getting it replaced under warranty from the drive mfg
if they find out or suspect that it was bought off of an auction site. That is unless
the mfg’s have changed their policies on drives bought from auctions. I can most of
the time buy parts from newegg cheaper than I could get them from ebay and know
that they will stand behind the products for at least 30 days so if I was to get a DOA
hdd I’d have no problem getting it replaced within 30 days with a new drive.

The main reason I’m so dead set against buying a hdd from ebay is from a friends personal
experience buying one there and getting a DOA hdd and the seller refused to replace it or
give him a refund. Then he tried to get the mfg to warranty the drive and had to tell them
where he bought it and that voided the remaining warranty so he was just stuck with a very
expensive paper weight. That was several years ago so the mfg’s may have changed the way
they handle the warranty on drives now days. But I for one am not willing to chance it myself
so I will pay the same or maybe a couple of dollars more and buy from a place like newegg or
tigerdirect or some place that is an [U][B]authorized reseller[/B][/U]

[B](As the old saying goes buyer beware when buying off of ebay.)[/B]

I just bought this iomega Prestige Desktop 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive 34275 - Retail. It’s $94.99 with free shipping from Newegg. I shopped around and it’s the biggest, best drive for the money that I could find.

I haven’t taken mine apart but the reports are that it contains a Seagate ST31000528AS 7200.12.

It comes NTFS formatted and not crippled by the stupid VCD junk that WD puts in its 1 TB externals (they’re more expensive but in the same price range). Plug it in and away you go. Right after turning it on I transferred about 500GB at 25MB/s and it was barely above room temp after running for 6 hours straight . Comes with stand, USB cable and power supply.

Edit: I’m thrifty, too, but I just checked ebay. While there are a dozen 1TB external drives under $94 on there, I wouldn’t take the chance. Plus, they’re all auction units so it’s a crap shoot to see whether you can save 20 bucks.

[QUOTE=getit29;2484796]I personally would avoid buying a hdd off of ebay you never know what you’re
going to get. If the hdd is bought off of ebay and it comes to you DOA then
most of the time you are just out of luck on getting it replaced from the seller.
You can also forget about getting it replaced under warranty from the drive mfg
if they find out or suspect that it was bought off of an auction site. That is unless
the mfg’s have changed their policies on drives bought from auctions. I can most of
the time buy parts from newegg cheaper than I could get them from ebay and know
that they will stand behind the products for at least 30 days so if I was to get a DOA
hdd I’d have no problem getting it replaced within 30 days with a new drive.

The main reason I’m so dead set against buying a hdd from ebay is from a friends personal
experience buying one there and getting a DOA hdd and the seller refused to replace it or
give him a refund. Then he tried to get the mfg to warranty the drive and had to tell them
where he bought it and that voided the remaining warranty so he was just stuck with a very
expensive paper weight. That was several years ago so the mfg’s may have changed the way
they handle the warranty on drives now days. But I for one am not willing to chance it myself
so I will pay the same or maybe a couple of dollars more and buy from a place like newegg or
tigerdirect or some place that is an [U][B]authorized reseller[/B][/U]

[B](As the old saying goes buyer beware when buying off of ebay.)[/B][/QUOTE]

What would you suggest if I wanted to put my own hard drive together? I have done it before, I bought a seagate desktop hard drive with a bytec enclosure in fall 2008, could you link me to authorized sellers of a hard drive & enclosure? what is the best make of hard drive? I used a seagate because I had read they were among the best, is this still true? I had also found out that seagate had certain models that had a firmware problem, I would like to get a drive that has not been recalled or problems. I would like a modern hard drive with USB, to work with older computers & newer ones as well as macs & PCs

Do mac computers read FAT 32 formatted drives? If I have it formatted to just NTFS, it can only be used on a PC, I want it to be cross platform. I may be switching to a mac in the future.

[QUOTE=Sossity;2485090]What would you suggest if I wanted to put my own hard drive together? I have done it before, I bought a seagate desktop hard drive with a bytec enclosure in fall 2008, could you link me to authorized sellers of a hard drive & enclosure? what is the best make of hard drive? I used a seagate because I had read they were among the best, is this still true? I had also found out that seagate had certain models that had a firmware problem, I would like to get a drive that has not been recalled or problems. I would like a modern hard drive with USB, to work with older computers & newer ones as well as macs & PCs

Do mac computers read FAT 32 formatted drives? If I have it formatted to just NTFS, it can only be used on a PC, I want it to be cross platform. I may be switching to a mac in the future.[/QUOTE]

I’m using two of the drives listed below in my system and I love them both
especially the Hitachi because it is a lot faster than the WD think I will get
3 more Hitachi 2TB drives to go in there for 8TB total. :bigsmile:

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB 32MB and the
Hitachi Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K Internal Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 32MB

Okay here is a couple of suggestions for less than $100.00 not including shipping and or tax:

Hitachi Deskstar OS00163 IDK/7K Internal Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-3G Price:$79.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5509395&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs

Sabrent 3.5" USB 2.0 to SATA/SATA II External Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Price:$19.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2703735&CatId=2780

Okay here is a couple more but will be a little over the $100.00 mark using the above enclosure before shipping and or taxes

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS Hard Drive - 1TB, 32MB, SATA-300 Price:$89.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4426054&CatId=2459

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB Price:$94.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4034139&CatId=2459

Okay if you really want some storage space for less than $200.00 using the above enclosure then here you go:

Hitachi Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K Internal Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 32MB Price:$169.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5265070&CatId=4357

[QUOTE=Sossity;2485090]What would you suggest if I wanted to put my own hard drive together? I have done it before, I bought a seagate desktop hard drive with a bytec enclosure in fall 2008, could you link me to authorized sellers of a hard drive & enclosure? what is the best make of hard drive? I used a seagate because I had read they were among the best, is this still true? I had also found out that seagate had certain models that had a firmware problem, I would like to get a drive that has not been recalled or problems. I would like a modern hard drive with USB, to work with older computers & newer ones as well as macs & PCs

Do mac computers read FAT 32 formatted drives? If I have it formatted to just NTFS, it can only be used on a PC, I want it to be cross platform. I may be switching to a mac in the future.[/QUOTE]
From my experience, building your own will cost you more for less and with one exception, getit29’s reply proves that (and you still haven’t put your time in or bought USB cables or paid for shipping). The Seagate 7200.12 appears to have put to rest the 1TB problems attributed to the .10 and .11 versions. I have never had a single problem with a Seagate drive or a WD Blue (read the reviews for ST31000528AS on Newegg). You can reformat these drives from PC to MAC but (and I might be wrong) I don’t think that a drive readable by one will be readable by another without a reformat.

The iomega 1 TB I quoted is now gone from Newegg. Amazon still has them for the same $95 free shipping and lists it #1 in popularity for External Hard Drives. Sorry if I seem to keep beating the same horse but I did a lot of research and asked the same questions as you before buying.

If you do build your own, buy an aluminum enclosure that will act as a heat sink and make sure that you get good contact between the metal case on the drive and the enclosure, using thermal grease (messy) or some thermally conductive material (expensive). Heat is the #1 enemy of hard drives with “dropped while reading/writing” a close second. Absolutely do not buy an enclosure cooled by a fan. It will be loud and the fan will fail 10 years before the hard drive.

Newegg has a Cavalry CAXB3701T0 for $102 with shipping. It is a USB/[U][B]eSATA [/B][/U] reportedly with a WD Green Drive inside (your mileage may vary, the USB only version supposedly has a Hitachi). A similar version on Amazon throws in the eSATA cables for $107 with shipping.

If you want to go Big, Newegg also has 2TB drives from Hitachi, Seagate and Cavalry (WD or Hitachi) shipped for less than the $190 to build your own.

Again, from my research, you will not be able to buy or build a [U]reliable [/U]external drive for less than purchasing a ready-to-go from Amazon or Newegg.

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2485355]From my experience, building your own will cost you more for less and with one exception, getit29’s reply proves that (and you still haven’t put your time in or bought USB cables or paid for shipping). The Seagate 7200.12 appears to have put to rest the 1TB problems attributed to the .10 and .11 versions. I have never had a single problem with a Seagate drive or a WD Blue (read the reviews for ST31000528AS on Newegg). You can reformat these drives from PC to MAC but (and I might be wrong) I don’t think that a drive readable by one will be readable by another without a reformat.

The iomega 1 TB I quoted is now gone from Newegg. Amazon still has them for the same $95 free shipping and lists it #1 in popularity for External Hard Drives. Sorry if I seem to keep beating the same horse but I did a lot of research and asked the same questions as you before buying.

If you do build your own, buy an aluminum enclosure that will act as a heat sink and make sure that you get good contact between the metal case on the drive and the enclosure, using thermal grease (messy) or some thermally conductive material (expensive). Heat is the #1 enemy of hard drives with “dropped while reading/writing” a close second. Absolutely do not buy an enclosure cooled by a fan. It will be loud and the fan will fail 10 years before the hard drive.

Newegg has a Cavalry CAXB3701T0 for $102 with shipping. It is a USB/[U][B]eSATA [/B][/U] reportedly with a WD Green Drive inside (your mileage may vary, the USB only version supposedly has a Hitachi). A similar version on Amazon throws in the eSATA cables for $107 with shipping.

If you want to go Big, Newegg also has 2TB drives from Hitachi, Seagate and Cavalry (WD or Hitachi) shipped for less than the $190 to build your own.

Again, from my research, you will not be able to buy or build a [U]reliable [/U]external drive for less than purchasing a ready-to-go from Amazon or Newegg.[/QUOTE]

I did do a little comparison shopping & did notice that it may end up costing more to put my own together, when I was asking about hard drives in late 2008, some one had told me it was more economical to buy & bulid my own, do I did, but it seems prices have come down even more since then, & more economical to just buy one ready made. I thought that the desktophard drives that come bare to be built had bigger caches & RPMs.

I have 2 iomega external hard drives I bought in 2004 & 2005, I think they are 250 GB a piece. one is in an aluminum enclosure, the other is plastic with an awkward way to turn off, it only turns off buy removing it from USB ports, I prefer them with an on/opff switch where I can turn them off. do you think these are still good? I am ripping about 300 or more albums in flac, & will then batch convert them to mp3 to place on my ipod. I will also have my itunes library on it as well. Would I be better off just getting a 1 tb hard drive?

what about portable external hard drives in 500gb or 1tb? can you suggest some good models?

I really never did like the ideal of buying a factory prebuilt external hdd as some or most of the time you never
know for sure what brand of drive you’ll be getting in there. I’m willing to pay a little extra and do it myself that
way I know for sure what brand of hdd I’m getting in there. The other thing I look at is the warranty period most
externals only have a 1 year warranty on them and with a do it yourself external I have either 3 years or 5 years
warranty on the drive.

Now that’s not to say a factory prebuilt external isn’t worth buying and for some people it is the only way to go
but for me it just isn’t my cup of tea just like buying a factory prebuilt system is not for me either. :disagree:

Right now, prices on internal hard drives in the 1 TB range are actually higher than the externals.
One example:
Iomega Prestige 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 34275 $94.99
Contains theSeagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS - $99.99

Here’s some other suggestions:
If you are going for an internal I agree with getit’s suggestions. For comparison with getit’s TigerDirect prices these are Newegg, shipping included:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $84.99
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $99.99HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail - $89.99

Externals:
See the Iomega above from Amazon or:
Cavalry Storage CAXM Series 1 TB USB / [B][U]eSATA [/U][/B]External Hard Drive CAXM3701T0 - Includes eSATA Kit - $107
, otherwise at Newegg:
This one either has a WD Green or Hitachi drive (no eSATA cable)
Cavalry CAXB Series 1TB USB 2.0 / [B][U]eSATA [/U][/B]7200RPM 16MB Cache External Hard Drive - CAXB3701T0 - Retail - $102
Seagate 1TB External Hard Drive ST310005EXA101-RK - Retail - $99.99

Two more suggestions:
Don’t bother with a 500GB drive. Your 300 FLAC albums and other stuff are going to almost fill it. You will only save $20 - $30 and kick yourself later when you are shelling out again for more space before the warranty is even up.
Stay away from the WD branded external drives. You don’t need any of the security crap that they build in and you can’t get rid of.

Since I’m having so much fun going back and forth with getit29, I’ve built my own externals and there is a certain amount of peace of mind knowing exactly what drive is in it. However, with the suggestions above, you’ve got a pretty good idea and the technology has come a long way in the past 5 years. Most likely, you can get a Mfg to honor the warranty on your drive, even if you removed it from an external, if necessary. I’ve gone through between 30 and 40 Seagate and WD drives over the past 20 years and every single one was obsolete before it failed.

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2485742]I’ve gone through between 30 and 40 Seagate and WD drives over the past 20 years and every single one was obsolete before it failed.[/QUOTE]

Just as long as you stay away from the Seagate 7200.11 series you will probably be
alright with a Seagate 7200.12 series. I’ve had 3 of the 1TB 7200.11 Seagate’s fail
on me within 9 months. The first one failed after 7 months and the replacement from
Seagate started to make the click of death within 1 day and died a few hours later
and the 3rd one started clicking and was dead after 4 days.

I didn’t even try to get a fourth drive from Seagate I just threw the 3rd drive in the
trash can and said forget it. So it’s pretty much safe to say that I’m done with ever
buying another Seagate drive… at least for the foreseeable future anyway. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2485742]Right now, prices on internal hard drives in the 1 TB range are actually higher than the externals.
One example:
Iomega Prestige 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 34275 $94.99
Contains theSeagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS - $99.99

Here’s some other suggestions:
If you are going for an internal I agree with getit’s suggestions. For comparison with getit’s TigerDirect prices these are Newegg, shipping included:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $84.99
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $99.99HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail - $89.99

Externals:
See the Iomega above from Amazon or:
Cavalry Storage CAXM Series 1 TB USB / [B][U]eSATA [/U][/B]External Hard Drive CAXM3701T0 - Includes eSATA Kit - $107
, otherwise at Newegg:
This one either has a WD Green or Hitachi drive (no eSATA cable)
Cavalry CAXB Series 1TB USB 2.0 / [B][U]eSATA [/U][/B]7200RPM 16MB Cache External Hard Drive - CAXB3701T0 - Retail - $102
Seagate 1TB External Hard Drive ST310005EXA101-RK - Retail - $99.99

Two more suggestions:
Don’t bother with a 500GB drive. Your 300 FLAC albums and other stuff are going to almost fill it. You will only save $20 - $30 and kick yourself later when you are shelling out again for more space before the warranty is even up.
Stay away from the WD branded external drives. You don’t need any of the security crap that they build in and you can’t get rid of.

Since I’m having so much fun going back and forth with getit29, I’ve built my own externals and there is a certain amount of peace of mind knowing exactly what drive is in it. However, with the suggestions above, you’ve got a pretty good idea and the technology has come a long way in the past 5 years. Most likely, you can get a Mfg to honor the warranty on your drive, even if you removed it from an external, if necessary. I’ve gone through between 30 and 40 Seagate and WD drives over the past 20 years and every single one was obsolete before it failed.[/QUOTE]

I found this on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/TrekStor-DataStation-maxi-SATA-88370/dp/B000XPG2TA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263451141&sr=8-15 do you think this is good? or should I stick with well known brands with more reviews?

If I choose to build my own, & buy one among the links you provided, could you give me some links to good enclosures that would go with the bare drives?

could you recommend any good portable 1tb external hard drives? or am I better off going with a full sized one?

[QUOTE=getit29;2485617]I really never did like the ideal of buying a factory prebuilt external hdd as some or most of the time you never
know for sure what brand of drive you’ll be getting in there. I’m willing to pay a little extra and do it myself that
way I know for sure what brand of hdd I’m getting in there. The other thing I look at is the warranty period most
externals only have a 1 year warranty on them and with a do it yourself external I have either 3 years or 5 years
warranty on the drive.

Now that’s not to say a factory prebuilt external isn’t worth buying and for some people it is the only way to go
but for me it just isn’t my cup of tea just like buying a factory prebuilt system is not for me either. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Actually, only the bottom-of-the-line external hard drives from the major manufacturers come with less than a 3-year warranty. For example, the only external hard drive line that is warrantied for only 1 year from a major brand that I’ve encountered within the past few months is the WD Elements series. The latest Essential editions of the My Passport and My Book external hard drives have a 2-year warranty in North America. Seagate offers pre-built external hard drives with a 2- or a 5-year warranty.

With that said, the biggest impediment to the performance of those pre-built external hard drive kits is that the hardware-based power management on their power supplies cannot be disabled or changed; thus, the external hard drive will always switch to the sleep mode when nothing’s accessing the drive after a set amount of time.

On the other hand, if you choose a hard drive enclosure to go with an internal hard drive, I would choose such an enclosure very carefully: In particular, stay away from those enclosures with only USB connections except for those which draw all of the hard drive power directly from an external power source. Many of these, unfortunately, draw most of their power (and all of their +5V power) through the USB connection itself, which may result in burnt-out USB ports or controllers. And very few manufacturers of USB-only SATA or PATA hard drive enclosures even tell you what their power distribution setup of their enclosures is. And even if you purchase the proper enclosure with its own external power supply, you’ll find that many of the USB-only enclosures’ controllers only support USB 2.0 High-Speed, which limit the maximum read speed to just above 30 MB/s - less than half the overall sequential throughput of today’s hard drives. External enclosures which offer an eSATA connection are OK.

can you recommend or link me to any internal drives & enclosures you think would be good?

thanks for the info/caution about buying enclosures, the last one I bought was a Bytecc with a USB cord & AC power cord, & at the end or back of it it has a little fan inside & an on off switch. Is ok? I have had it with a seagate hard drive I put in it.

[QUOTE=Sossity;2485857]I found this on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/TrekStor-DataStation-maxi-SATA-88370/dp/B000XPG2TA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263451141&sr=8-15 do you think this is good? or should I stick with well known brands with more reviews?[/QUOTE]You should stick with drives that aren’t outrageously priced! That drive is twice the price of anything I linked and it is ONLY USB (i.e. the drive inside is SATA but it does not have eSATA connections to the outside world). The Cavalry CAXB that I linked above has SATA capability for 1/2 the price and a smaller size. The TrekStor is 4.5 x 1.4 x 8.1". The Cavalry is 4.5 x 1.3 x 7.8". All of these externals I linked are about the same size. All of these drives are “portable”. Just because they put portable in the name doesn’t make it better.

It’s been 2 years since I built my last external so I don’t have any recommendations on external cases. In the last year or so, all my research has led me to just go with the prebuilts.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2485883]Actually, only the bottom-of-the-line external hard drives from the major manufacturers come with less than a 3-year warranty. For example, the only external hard drive line that is warrantied for only 1 year from a major brand that I’ve encountered within the past few months is the WD Elements series. The latest Essential editions of the My Passport and My Book external hard drives have a 2-year warranty in North America. Seagate offers pre-built external hard drives with a 2- or a 5-year warranty.

With that said, the biggest impediment to the performance of those pre-built external hard drive kits is that the hardware-based power management on their power supplies cannot be disabled or changed; thus, the external hard drive will always switch to the sleep mode when nothing’s accessing the drive after a set amount of time.

On the other hand, if you choose a hard drive enclosure to go with an internal hard drive, I would choose such an enclosure very carefully: In particular, stay away from those enclosures with only USB connections except for those which draw all of the hard drive power directly from an external power source. Many of these, unfortunately, draw most of their power (and all of their +5V power) through the USB connection itself, which may result in burnt-out USB ports or controllers. And very few manufacturers of USB-only SATA or PATA hard drive enclosures even tell you what their power distribution setup of their enclosures is. And even if you purchase the proper enclosure with its own external power supply, you’ll find that many of the USB-only enclosures’ controllers only support USB 2.0 High-Speed, which limit the maximum read speed to just above 30 MB/s - less than half the overall sequential throughput of today’s hard drives. External enclosures which offer an eSATA connection are OK.[/QUOTE]

Could you link me to some good enclosures? also does it matter wheather if they have a fan in them or not?

I have this one; http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enclosure/ME-835SU/ME-835SU.htm, with a seagate drive in it, but I cannot seem to find it online now, is it a bad design?