Inexpensive imaging software?

vbimport

I have 4 home PC’s all running Windows XP with mix of PATA and SATA drives and am looking for an inexpensive backup/imaging solution I can use on all four. I don’t really want to install it on them, just run the program, from a CD maybe, and have it burn to a DVD or a second HDD every month or so and capable of making a bootable CD/DVD.

What I’m finding is I will need to purchase 4 copies of the same program and that makes even inexpensive solutions expensive:(

Does anyone know of a program that would fit these needs? I’m a retired service technition and have used Ghost in just about all of it’s versions. I own Ghost 2003 but it does not see my SATA drives.

Thanks
Joe

If you plan on buying an external drive for your back-ups, get a WD drive. Then you can get Acronis for free (from the WD site), as long as at least one Western Digital drive is involved. That’s what I did.

Thanks for the tip. I have at least one WD drive, I’ll have to check on what I do have:iagree:

Get one of the 1TB or larger external HDD that hooks up to ethernet(sp) cable and it has back up software included on it. This would work well if the 4 computers are networked.

G-Ivan

That’s the best Idea I’ve heard:iagree: I’ll start looking around for one. The PC’s are all networked on a 10-100 network;) I can think of lots of other uses for it too:bigsmile:

Good Luck with your project!

The tool DSynchronise can be installed as a Windows Service and “real time backup” (every 10 seconds) any desired folders to other folders (I.E. a network share) while your computer is running.

Advantage: Free
Disadvantage: Takes up lots of memory and cpu resources.

If you plan to use an old(er) computer as a NAS i suggest using FreeNas.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2452894]The tool Advantage: Free
Disadvantage: Takes up lots of memory and cpu resources.

If you plan to use an old(er) computer as a NAS i suggest using FreeNas.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I don’t really want to set up and maintain another computer:rolleyes:

As G-Ivan suggested I’m going to look at this later this morning.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=587

It’s $289 here.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0307370

I worked on medium sized computers before retirement and and familiar with both NAS and SAN devices and the NAS sounds right for me IF it has the software mentioned:iagree:

Thought I would give you all an update;) Monday I bought the 2 TB Western Digital NAS and found out that WD Drive Image will not work for me because it requires one of the drives in each PC to be WD:(
So I went loooking around and found a program called PE builder that has a plugin that makes drive images. PEbuilder makes a bootable CD/DVD that runs Windows XT under a Linux shell. It boots the pc under Linux I think then has a stripped version of Windows XP. Then you run the imaging plugin to image to another partition, hard drive or over your network:cool: It requires you to have a Valid copy of Windows to make the bootable CD/DVD
www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

It works on one of my 4 PC’s perfectly but on three it does not:sad: The reason is because there are no network drivers installed for my on board NICs. So then I found a program called nLite that allows you to modify your Windows CD to add drivers, remove unwanted features, make it autoinstalling and more. See it here.
http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

Both of these programs are free to non commercial, private users:iagree:

I’ve been trying for two days to get the drivers installed for my Asys P5KPl-CM system board:Z

The procudure I’m following is to use nLite to add the drivers then burn a modified XP disk. Then run PEbuilder to make a bootable CD that runs windows. When working it loads network drivers and allows you to run the imaging program:clap:

That’s where I am. Anyone used nLite to add drivers:confused:

[B]UPDATE[/B] It turns out I only needed to put the nic drivers in the driver sub directory of the PEbuilder program directory. I didn’t need nLite at all. And it exceeds my criteria of inexpensive by being free to private users.

Life is good!
Joe