Inertia, You are the man

vbimport

Inertia its me again. I need your help again. do you know if there are any blank cdr's that wont work in a playstation. Because i burned a game on this cdr which company is memorex and that type of cd seems like the only one that wont work in my psx. I thought all cdr's worked in a psx if you have the game hunter chip mod chip deal. Thanks and answer please

The playability of a CDR is dependent on the manufactured qualities of the disc and the interaction with hardware and software.

It is possible that a given lot of Memorex branded discs may not have the characteristics that allow it to be used with your PSX hardware and software. This does not mean that Memorex can’t work with PSX.

Companies like Memorex don’t make CDR’s, but buy them from different producers. Another lot of Memorex discs from a different production run might work OK.

Do you know any CDR companies that will work for sure in my psx. Man you know a lot about this stuff. Just lettin you know that. Your help has been helpful. Have you ever heard of TDK. I think they might work. Do you know

The only way to be sure that a given media type will work properly is to try it. If media works OK with one combination of hardware and software, it may not work well with another because there are uncertainties and variables involved. Low quality media will eventually give problems even if it initially seems to work OK.

TDK makes and sells good products and is certainly worth a try.

As Inertia said why23, so many of these brands are not made by the company themselves. There are only 16 manus of CDR’s in the world and they will then make them for the likes of Memorex, TDK, Verbatim or whoever. So how do you find out which is the real manu of the disc so you can buy with confidence?

The best way IMHO is by downloading a free util called “CDR Identifier” from here:- http://www.cdr.cz/files/software/CD-R_Identifier/cdrid163.zip

This will now read the ATIP of your discs and tell you who really makes them. For instance I have had a large batch of unbranded Memorex I’ve been using and they really are cr@p! (They were too cheap to resist though. :smiley: ) And they read as:-
ATIP: 97m 15s 36f
Disc Manufacturer: NAN-YA Plastics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

As you said you had problems with some Memorex for PSX, I’ll bet they are these. I find discs made by Ritek are good for PSX or Princo, Kodak Gold’s (if you can find any), Datasafe (made by either Ritek or Princo). For more on this check out the media forum, there’s quite a bit on the above there thanks to the absent OC-Freaks efforts. (I think he’s still milking cows or something. :wink: )

HTH :slight_smile: