Industry near deal for anti-pirate broadcast flag

vbimport

I just posted the article Industry near deal for anti-pirate broadcast flag.

Kyle SGMS used our newssubmit to tell us that several electronics companies have agreed to built in an anti-pirate broadcast flag.

This flag should prevent home user to record and distribute for…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3756-Industry-near-deal-for-anti-pirate-broadcast-flag.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3756-Industry-near-deal-for-anti-pirate-broadcast-flag.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

By implementing anti-copy flags, etc. into future recorders such as VCRs will defeat the purpose of having them! Imagine having a VCR that cannot record most TV content! It appears that if anti-copy technology like this becomes the standard in Digital recording equipment, it will put people off buying new recording equipment! I.e. why would someone want to replace their trusty analogue VCR that can record just about anything off TV to a new digital VCR that can only record content not marked with a anti-copy flag?

They’ll have a hard time selling this to firms who do most of their business in hardware. Even Sony’s own hardware unit is sick of being marginalized by shit like this. They’ll have a hard time getting Samsung to sign off on this. Anyhow… We have 3 means of fighting this: 1) Don’t buy crippled hardware. The hit to sales will send a clear message and hardware manufacturers will get their lobby in gear to storm Washington. 2) Boycott advertisers of flagged shows, and let them know why. TV is driven by advertising, not signal flags. If the industry has to choose, they’ll hang on to the advertising dollars. 3) Keep cracking. Ensure that no protection scheme holds for long.

Big TV companies don’t mind you recording THEIR programmes, but you aren’t allowed to record other people’s films - so anything but the odd feature presentation shoudld still be recordable.

sean-- The idea is to make analog equipment incompatible with digital transmissions. Therefore, you need ‘watermark’-enabled equipment to decode ‘any’ signal. Effectively, they’d ‘phase out’ any utility of your existing equipment. The ‘broadcast flag’ goes hand-in-hand with eliminating the ‘analog hole.’ the 111-- That’s incorrect. TV companies biggest concern is that people use computers to edit TV shows to exclude commercials and P2P software/networks to share the edits. The combination of American laws and private industry pacts criminalizes interference with the content (cutting commercials) and physically prevents transfer of the broadcasts. As you’ve probably heard before, the goal is take computer equipment and turn it into passive entertainment reception devices. TV and film companies want to elminate more “Phantom Edits” or commercial-free “Friends” epsidoes. (They want to sell you complete seasons on DVD).

Hollings is back to his old tricks again. We need to get this guy out. A law to protect spyware Sen. Fritz Hollings is pushing a bill that supposedly safeguards online privacy – but actually gives intrusive marketers a green light. http://salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/26/hollings_spyware/index.html

Interesting… Hollings is a known entertainment industry puppet. Now he wants spyware blessed with explicit legal legitimacy… Anyone think the entertainment industry is pushing this so they can track us down individually and start mailing us “guilty until proven innocent” fines ala speeding ticket cameras?

George Orwell was either a genius with a lot of forsight or a man with an indulged feeling of paranoia…either way he may be right…no more “your home your castle”…:7

I just saw this story also. But according to marketing materials from Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq:CSCO - news), the No. 1 maker of computer networking equipment, cable companies will be able to work behind the scenes with sophisticated software included in Cisco products to slow down and limit access to selected Web sites. Without fully cutting off access to unaffiliated sites, the technology allows a cable company to make such destinations appear much more slowly on customers’ computers than preferred sites, Cisco claimed in brochures distributed at a recent cable convention in Chicago. “This is the owner’s manual that they’re providing to the cable industry to monopolize the Internet,” said Jeff Chester, executive director of the Center for Media Education. http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/apple/archive/1999/07/msg00076.html

One of the first steps to reclaiming our privacy is to reclaim our computers. Software like ZoneAlarm, SpyBlocker and Ad-Aware help bring back the idea of “Its my computer, I paid for the damn thing, let ME decide what gets installed on it”.

Lemme tell you something about Senitor Hollings, first of all he is a South Carolina senitor. SC is the most ass backwards state in the US. He like the rest of the state uses a 486 computer, kids graduate from high school without knowing how to read or write. I moved from NJ to SC to help out my parents and I can’t wait to get back to NJ. Sen Hollings is a stupid hick moron and his bill will never pass.