Indecision

vbimport

Hello people, im in the market for a dvd burner i have resisted for this long due to all the confusing multi media platforms and everything…makes it all very messy.

I have a plexwriter cd rw drive and it is simply amazing i have never had a coasters and have never had any problems ever…Plextor then were the kings but are they now?
When i decided to buy a dvd writer i thought ill just get a Plextor, but i have read a lot of reviews and it seems that it would nt be the best idea the new Lg drive looks ace…just wondered what you guys thought.

I suppose im looking for a drive to make good quality 1:1 dvd copies and protected game copies too.

You need at least two!

Look at these and have fun=

1620 at newegg for $52
Plex 716/price has went up
Some have had good luck with the Toshiba and LG

PS/Staples has a sale on IO.

The Plextor PX-716A is performing a lot better with the latest firmware versions installed. It’s a good drive in my opinion. Read some of the threads in this Plextor Forum and you will find that most people have great results with their drive.

How do you mean i need two drives?

"You need at least two!

Look at these and have fun=

1620 at newegg for $52
Plex 716/price has went up
Some have had good luck with the Toshiba and LG"

Do i need a reader as well as a writer?

Thanks for the review gamerfreak…i have read them all but it seems the LG one seems to win…which is surprising because you pay more for plextor for higher quality. And it doesnt do DVD RAM…which i thought would be handy…

Two is nice but not necessary. It saves a step! I have two on each machine. They are cheap at this time and you could get a $52 and a $85 one. :cool:

Add the 1608P at Newegg to your list(this is a 109).

sorry how do mean it saves a step? Do you mean i could copy on the fly without having to decode it and make an ISO file which i would then burn?

Yes on the fly for some burns since not all burns require a decode, but mainly you don’t have to wait for the tray to eject and install a blank disk before burning. :cool: Just nice to have. Most of us have two because we can’t stop buying drives. :smiley:

lol i see!

Thats added to my confusion now…i can get 2 of the new LG drives that have got good reviews the LG GSA-4163B for the same price as a single Plextor 716!

Ill check out some more reviews…im tempted by the Plextor but im not sure they are that good anymore…

The Plextor PX-716A is a very fast reader and on-the-fly burning won’t be much faster than ripping and burning with only one drive. When burning DVD discs on-the-fly you will never reach full speeds simply because the reader cannot keep up with the writer when it’s recording at maximum speed (12x and up). So, you’ll be limited to 4x or maybe 8x when burning DVD’s on-the-fly… That’s my experience anyway :wink: