Increasing the volume of mp3 without clipping

vbimport

I’ve downloaded some mp3 files which, as indicated by mp3gain, ‘clip’ at relatively low volume. Is there a method where I could, say, “re-record” these files so that the inherent volume is louder and not clipping? (I plan to incorporate these files with some others into a custom CD. I know I could lower the volume of the others but I’d prefer to have the volume as high as possible.) Thanks for any suggestions.

Maybe this list can be useful for your dynamic range compression needs.

[QUOTE=pooksahib;2621161]I’ve downloaded some mp3 files which, [B][I]as indicated by mp3gain, ‘clip’ at relatively low volume[/I][/B]. Is there a method where I could, say, “re-record” these files so that the inherent volume is louder and not clipping? (I plan to incorporate these files with some others into a custom CD. I know I could lower the volume of the others but I’d prefer to have the volume as high as possible.) Thanks for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

So the files are already clipping? If yes then there isnt much that you can do, especially if you have to work with mp3’s, you can always increase the volume but you will loose more dynamics.

Many software (adobe audition is one of them) have an option to hard limit the output to 0.1db this way you want have clipping, but i dont like the sound that comes out, to noisy for my taste. I personally prefer to have a life that clips for a few ms that a file that it’s hard limited to 0.1 and everything is loud.

Also if you re-record the file you want be gaining much dynamics back, from my experience, what ever is lost is lost, and not an easy task to get it back.

Try downloading the low quality .mp3’s again. If they are bad this time I suggest downloading from a better source . You just can’t improve low quality much if any.

My thanks to you all.