Increasing MP3 player usage leads to ear damage concerns

vbimport

I just posted the article Increasing MP3 player usage leads to ear damage concerns.

As the popularity  of MP3 players keeps going up, there are now concerns about consumers (especially  young people) permanently damaging their ears due to prolonged listening  at very high...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10263-Increasing-MP3-player-usage-leads-to-ear-damage-concerns.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10263-Increasing-MP3-player-usage-leads-to-ear-damage-concerns.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Oh they have been complaining for years! We listen to music too loud, watch too much TV (and too close to the set), Spend too much time at the PC and on consoles, drink too much, eat too much (of the wrong stuff), smoke too much… If we lived by “Medical Experts” rules we would allready be dead… of boredom :wink:
[edited by petera on 09.05.2005 01:10]

A 105db CD source is not percepted as the same to a 105db psychoacoustic encoded music. Take care :wink: :wink:

but arent the redundant highs and lows removed out of mp3’s in the first place (to save on space since they arent audible over the similar sounds of a lower db) and OSHA requires that 105db not more than 1h; 80db for 8hrs but most ear bud headphones dont even get to 100db (though i couldnt find the specific specs on the ipod ones) i doubt that anyone listens to their ipod on FULL volume unless they are in a loud environment so as long as people listen to their ipod @ less than 3/4 they should be well below OSHA 80db, 8hr limit we can all get a babelfish when we go deaf anyway… hehe
[edited by freonchill on 09.05.2005 02:31]

What? Did somebody say something?

i have hearing problems cause of listening music with headphonest hough it seems that it’s much more difficult to hear someone talk than the background noises :d

"If we lived by “Medical Experts” rules we would allready be dead… of boredom "… As a sufferer of Tinnitus, let me tell ya, you don’t want it. As an example get someone to softly whistle in your ear for a minute…thats what its like…24/7…:X

All the people joking about this and saying ‘big brother leave us alone’ are being silly - in many broadcast environments headphones, by law, have ‘limiters’ fitted - often with tighter limits than on portable devices - 90dB is more realistic. Most young people these days are listening to more music on a daily/weekly basic via headphones than many people forced to use then at work. They may think it’s cool now, but will pay in years to come when their hearing suffers (made worse by loud parties, clubbing, etc - and now self-torture every day).

Since the 1990s, there is a trend to over-record sound in an audio file ie. record it above 89.0 dB. This trend still continues today. For example, I believe the music studios do this intentionally so as to make crap music sounds “better”! Just use an audio, logarithmic modifier like MP3Gain for example to reduce the sound level to 89.0 dB. If you want softer sound, then reduce it again.
[edited by icepax on 09.05.2005 11:45]

this is why you need good headphones like these: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp they block out all external noise so you don’t have to crank up your music to hear it over the subway/traffic/annoying other people.

If you hook up a mp3-player to a stereo, doesnt the volume cap give a very low volume on it? I remeber that when i plugged in my old portable cd-player into my amp i had to set the volume about 20dB higer. This is very loud when i switched to radio without lowering it first :(. Now i have an mp3-player that isnt capped ant it can play perfect on any amp. I shure hope they wont put a cap on all players.

You do need to be careful about the volume. I have had a permanent ringing in my ears since standing in front of Jimi Hendrix’s amp at a concert in 1969.

Good grief! This is ridiculous. The “100db” limit is completely dependant on which headphones/speakers you are using with the device. With some of my older, larger, more power hungry headphones the new players are almost inaudible! To me, this ranks right up there with all the other personal safety laws like requiring bicyclists/motorcyclists to wear helmets, requiring seatbelts, etc. It is their choice and their right. If they ruin their ears, that’s their problem (and if they ruin their ears through their own fault, then they should not receive ANY public compensation or aid for the deaf). Similarly, if someone has a car accident and is not wearing a seatbelt, then I don’t feel their insurance company should be liable to pay for their medical care. If someone WANTS to do something stupid to themselves, blast their ears, or endanger their own lives, then LET THEM!!! Just force them to take responsibility for their own actions. Worst case, a few morons will do stupid stuff and remove themselves from the gene pool. Then again, maybe thats the BEST case! Death to the “Nanny State”!

You miss the point. Governments have a duty of care to advise the public, and to repeat advice where health issues are concerned. Noise from headphones does affect others on public transport - everyone has to put up with the constand shrill high-pitched tones coming from some oikes phones. Unfortunately people who damage their ears due to their own stupidity, then receive aid from the state (uk) - so, once again everyone pays for this. Not quite so simple - and where health issues and advice are cocerned, institutions and governments are their to help and advise us. Many who scream ‘nanny state’ would be first in the queue complaining if they did’nt - then want compensation and help when they hurt themselves.

Besides from those technical stuffs, the music nowadays youngsters listening to, are just big noisy sounds. That probably a reason, too.:wink:

Yep, the article is true, I started getting damage to my ears, but not the internal one, only the outer ear from the headphone, skin becomes dry and start getting off as a fish… since a week i stopped using it and now i am getting better :wink:

I agree that governments might have some small duty to advise the public and warn them if a product can or will hurt them. What I disagree with is them mandating that a product that might hurt you if used stupidly be modified or removed from the market. Personally, the less government intervention with individual choice, the better. I am a strong proponent of personal responsibility and personal liability. The ONLY requirement I feel a company should have is perhaps a warning message stating that if you do (a) then (b) might result. If you go ahead and do (a) then tough luck! You were warned… I agree that, currently, people who damage their ears may end up getting public compensation and we all end up paying. However, like I said before, they should NOT be eligible for such assistance. Personally, I believe the ONLY purpose of government is to protect it citizenry from physical harm (either internal or external) - i.e. the police and the military. Some product liabilitly laws and corporate and evironmental regulation could also be classed under this mandate. However, protecting us from OURSELVES is NOT part of their mandate. And, yes, some people who scream against the nanny state will be the first in line when they hurt themselves. To which I say, TOUGH! I tend to view government and citizenship as a contract that works both ways – personally, I feel I should be able to opt out of things like Social Security and/or Medicare and invest the funds myself and purchase private long term medical insurance funded by an annuity. If someone chooses to opt out and then DOESN’T invest the money or use it wisely, then that’s their problem later on. If someone makes bad decisions, they should suffer the consequences of their actions and the government should not intervene in any way. If this means that someone opts out and has no access to medical care, food or housing, then thats fine by me. Neither the government nor the health industry should have to help them in any way. If this means that they cannot survive, so be it!

mdburkey was right - it’s all dependent on the phones used. Some are MUCH more efficient than others - by 10dB or more. The advice to change MP3 Gain to 89dB is misguided. That number has no correlation to what’s coming out of the earphones, and though the studios DO over compress signals these days, that has nothing to do with overall level. In fact, highly compressed tracks are EASIER to hear over background noise, if the phones don’t isolate well. I agree that isolating earplugs are a great option (I use Shure’s E3C), but not always convenient - sometimes you need to hear the environment.