Increase Laptop Speed

Hi all,

I have just recently upgraded my laptop’s RAM and hard drive. The hard drive was 80gig and ram of 512. Now it is 160 gig and 2 gig of RAM.
I have a lot of dvd’s that i own and would like to burn them to a blank dvd as i just purchased a new lg dvd recorder and you cannot burn the
original copy to the hard drive of the lg. You need to burn them to blank dvd before it can be dubbed. Hope that made sense.
Anyway in my original settings i stated before i was using 100 percent of CPU usage and now since i upgraded my ram i though it would not use
as much and it would be quicker. But it is not. Th specs of my laptop are as follows.

Intel® Pentium®M processor 1.73GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM. I am running Microsoft Windows XP Home edition Version 2002 service pack 2.

Even running a virus scan is using a lot of CPU. Is there anything i can do to increase the speed of the laptop. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also on a side note. I just got avast for free of their website. As i am not too good with computers and all i need your help with this as well.
I downloaded Avast virus scanner. All is working fine. But i would like to look into getting another one for extra protection. WHat do you guys
use and also is a trojan virus the same as maleware/spyware? If not do i need to get another type of virus scanner?

When running a virus scan, the scanner is supposed to use all available CPU - this is not a bug but a feature. If a full virus scan isn’t using 100% of your CPU, then it’s either because you have a multi-core or hyperthreaded CPU and the virus scanner is only single threaded, or it’s because your hard drive isn’t fast enough to keep up.

Malware is any program that is intentionally harmful to your computer or data in some way. Trojans, viruses, worms, spyware, etc. are examples of malware with certain characteristics.

If your laptop is using 100% CPU when reading or burning a CD/DVD, then it’s most likely because your IDE controller is running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode as it should. You can read about why and how to fix it here:

Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

and here:

DMA reverts to PIO

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

^^^ Wow thanks mate and thanks for the welcome. I stumbled upon the site the other day and thought i should bookmark it and join up. hmmm IDE controller and PIO and DMA mode. gezzz remember i am a noob and will look up your links now.

“multi-core or hyperthreaded CPU and the virus scanner is only single threaded, or it’s because your hard drive isn’t fast enough to keep up.”

^^ When you said this how do i find out what is really the problem? How do i find out if i have a multi or hyper and also if the scanner is using single thread. Or how would i find out if my hard drive is too slow?

Also mate was wondering if u can help with this. I wanna change my CPU for my laptotp. I took it apart just before and know where it goes. But what do i need to do? Can i move to a hmm lets say 3GHZ from 1.73 as i have now or would i have to change the motherboad and stuff as well??

Sorry to do your head in mate and thanks heaps :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=johns1000;2272190]“multi-core or hyperthreaded CPU and the virus scanner is only single threaded, or it’s because your hard drive isn’t fast enough to keep up.”

^^ When you said this how do i find out what is really the problem? How do i find out if i have a multi or hyper and also if the scanner is using single thread. Or how would i find out if my hard drive is too slow?[/QUOTE] My point is, that if your CPU is running at 100% while scanning for viruses, that’s how it’s supposed to be. The virus scanner is supposed to use all available CPU power in order to finish as quickly as possible!

So the only “problem” is if your CPU is NOT running at 100% while performing a virus scan, and the reason would be one of those I mentioned.

^^ Oh ok i know what you meant but took it in a bad way. Cheers for the info. I read up about the dma stuff and my dvd drive is running on DMA not IPO. Also i am strongly thinking of upgrading my CPU, can you help me with that? I was looking to instal a Intel core 2 duo processor. running at bout 2.4 GHz. Currently i have a Intel® Pentium®M processor 1.73GHz. WOuld there be any problems to upgrade it? What would i need to check before i go buy a new processor? Would i need to change the whole motherboard as well?? Thanks mate, oh and my laptop is bout 2 years old now so i just added stuff rather than buying a brand new one. Works out cheaper for me. Cheers

Laptops aren’t really upgrade friendly in terms of replacing CPUs and motherboards. In any case it’s not my field of expertise, so I can’t help you there - maybe someone else can.

thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Ok guys so here is more details of my lappy. Now i am typing it straight out the back of the manual so i dont know what anything means but here goes.

Processor Type:

Intel Pentium M Processor (478-pin) 0.09 Micron Process technology 2mb on-die l2 cache & 533 MHZ front side bus, Micro-FCPGA package 730/740/750/760/770/780

Intel Pentium M Processor (478-pin) 0.09 Micron Process technology 2mb on-die l2 cache & 533 MHZ front side bus, Micro-FCPGA package 715/725/735/745/755/765

Core Logic:

Intel 915PM + ICH6-M

BIOS:

one 512k flash Rom plug and play (1.0a) Phoenix Bios.

More screen shots to follow. As i said i do not know what all this means. Thanks heaps

Hint: [Alt]+[PrtSc] only captures the current window instead of the entire desktop. :wink:

^^^^hahaha ok another short cut i did not know cheers. now can someone please help me with my question :slight_smile:

Not much you can do short of buying a New Laptop with a dual core CPU and selling your old one when it sill has some value. Rebulding a laptop is near impossible no way to replace the mainboard, cpu, chipset or graphics card. Faster RAM and/or HDD will not help much. You might look into overclocking the CPU but that is short term and risky. Replacing the CPU on a laptop requires special tools (as it is hard wired to the mainboard) even if you could do it the mainboard my not support the change. If you want a Computer that can be upgraded get a desktop.

Hi,[QUOTE=johns1000;2272156] I am running Microsoft Windows XP Home edition Version 2002 service pack 2.[/quote]Why not SP3?

WHat do you guys use
User account with restricted permissions. No P2P. Regular application of security patches for operating system and applications that are used online.

and also is a trojan virus the same as maleware/spyware?
No. You might have a look at wikipedia - they have rather good articles there.
If not do i need to get another type of virus scanner?
Just don’t allow malware to be installed. :wink:

Michael

I also wouldn’t try to upgrade the CPU.
Motherboard upgrade…no way.
If you want to have a look, here are the results of a very quick and dirty search on your mobile Intel [B]chipset[/B] :
No guarantees.

It is the [B]chipset[/B] (Nortbridge/Southbridge) that determines the capability of the motherboard.
You have support for a [B]particular family of processors[/B] only…you can’t “jump” to a dual core of your choosing.
Looks like the ceiling is 2.26Ghz…and you may not notice much of a difference.

I also wouldn’t try to upgrade the CPU.

Since i am also looking into upgrading the CPU (read here :slight_smile: ) i was wondering about your opinion jflan. I mean, i understand not doing it for getting an extra couple of hundred Mhz but going from a “pseudo” dual core to a core duo and gaining maybe 800-900MHz should make a difference :slight_smile:

I still haven’t figured out which one to get :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2273421]Since i am also looking into upgrading the CPU (read here :slight_smile: ) i was wondering about your opinion jflan. I mean, i understand not doing it for getting an extra couple of hundred Mhz but going from a “pseudo” dual core to a core duo and gaining maybe 800-900MHz should make a difference :slight_smile:

I still haven’t figured out which one to get :p[/QUOTE]
Well, if you can go to Core2Duo…(I forgot the lappy code name, in desktop it was Conroe) that would be an order of magnitude better.
Might be a worthwhile upgrade if your board/BIOS combo supports it and the price is right.
When the Conroes were released they were averaging [I]at least[/I] 30% better than their predecessors.

Edit:
Merom core, I think.