Incomplete movie

Hiya, can someone point me to a thread that deals with this, I have tried recently to make a back up with my laptop, which has only one drive.
The movie is 130 mins long, but I always thought that it was within the abillity to copy the full disc onto a single-sided DVD-R. The curious thing here is that the copy only plays up to 124 mins, and then stops as if the disc has run out.
With the original disc in, I’ve chosen the DVDFab folder in My Documents, and then to FULLDISC using DVD5 quality. When that’s done, I’ve replaced the disc with the blank, then chosen as the source the movie’s folder, within the Fulldisc area (the destination from the last bit) and selected the optical disc drive as the destination.

What might I be doing wrong?

m

[QUOTE=mikejc;2286812]Hiya, can someone point me to a thread that deals with this, I have tried recently to make a back up with my laptop, which has only one drive.
The movie is 130 mins long, but I always thought that it was within the abillity to copy the full disc onto a single-sided DVD-R. The curious thing here is that the copy only plays up to 124 mins, and then stops as if the disc has run out.
With the original disc in, I’ve chosen the DVDFab folder in My Documents, and then to FULLDISC using DVD5 quality. When that’s done, I’ve replaced the disc with the blank, then chosen as the source the movie’s folder, within the Fulldisc area (the destination from the last bit) and selected the optical disc drive as the destination.

m[/QUOTE]

What media are you using to do the backup, and what compression factor did Fab indicate was involved with this movie?

OC

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mikejc;2286812]Hiya, can someone point me to a thread that deals with this, I have tried recently to make a back up with my laptop, which has only one drive.

m[/QUOTE]It sounds like you are processing the movie twice through DVDFab, but it still should have worked. If you choose the same optical drive as the Source and Target, DVDFab will prompt you to insert the blank media when it has finished reading and decrypting the disc. To burn files that are already in a folder (which is what you described I think) use [B]Write Data [/B]mode instead of using Full Disc again.

FWIW: I keep away from the outer edge of disc for writing. I select the custom size of 4360 for file size output. Most disc errors appear at the outer edge.

Also note that you may want to start using movie only with just your language and 5.1 sound, as all the menus, previews, and other junk just add to more compression. Chapters can be accessed from remote as well.

I looked at the response above given by signals, but it seems that I am in a “two steps back” situation as last night I tried both the Write Data and Full Disc option but as soon as I set the burn in motion with the blank disc in, the software shuts down. This was not happening the last time I tried this a few weeks ago. That was on version 5, so I tried replacing it with version 6 and it still the problem occurs. I have 47GB or hard disc space left so there should be plenty of buffer room for the scratch files (that’s if this software does that kind of thing, I know burning discs from editing programs like Adobe Premier does - but it may not be necessary at all). I did a full McAfee scan and there does not appear to be any bugs, next stage is to defragment. I’ll try that soon (i have a wife and kids, so computer time is rare - a few sessions a week).

Anyway while I investigate that, I am curious. What I can do is copy a disc into a folder. Above you say that I should get a prompt to insert a blank disc. I haven’t see it do that. I’ll try and check the tutorials for this to see what I’m doing wrong but if you want to type me an idiots guide then feel free.

m

I am still a little unclear on the exact problem I think. DVDFab will compress content to fit on a DVD-5 disc. To help illuminate the problem, please take the following steps:[ul]
[li]Post a burn log. See if you can find the one from the disc that stops before it gets to the end. For instructions, see [U]this post [/U] Just copy and paste into a post from Notepad.
[/li][li]Get a software player that will DVD discs or files on your computer. Examples are WinDVD, PowerDVD etc. If you already have one, tell me which one it is. If you don’t have one installed, VLC media player is free, just google it.[/ul]
[/li]
Tip: When using a laptop to process DVDs, [B]always[/B] have the AC power adapter connected. Many laptops go in to a power conserving mode when on battery power or if the battery gets low that slow down the CPU and cripple other resources that DVDFab needs. This can have unpredictable results.

Okay. Now I asked the laptop (vista home premium) to search for solutions to the added problem of a pcouffin alert coming up whenever I turned the machine on. It searched for a fix and then downloaded a driver. Then I did all my backups fine without the movie ending too soon. Good. Only thing is, along with the driver there seems to be another application called DVDX Converter that has now installed in a trial version.

Huh?

m