Incompatible with dvd player

Hi, I had some home movie footage and my friend did some editing for me and burnt it to dvd, he burnt it on a red datawrite dvd. The problem i have is that it is incompatible with 2 out of 3 dvd players in my house and when i tried to play it at my aunts house it didnt work on any of her two either. I tried copying it thinking it might be the disc but it isnt. I have tried ripping it and then burning it and that does not work. I have also used dvd decrypter to read and write with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

If your burner supports bit-setting then you could burn the disc to a DVD+R and it should be read in all players. Also what discs are you using +/-R?, as -R is generally more compatible with stand alone players.

Hello,
I’ve been trying to copy and create DVDs and cannot get them to work in my DVD player. I’m finding it difficult to isolate the problem. I think its either my DVD player being too old or the discs being too cheap. I’ve been using CloneDVD, and it seems to be working fine. The discs work in 2 of the standalone players I have at home, but they don’t work in mine, which is a Panasonic DVD-RV21. It’s a couple years old. The other ones are KLH and Sony.
The discs I’ve been using are 4x Matrix DVD-R’s, but I’ve also tried Imation DVD-R’s and +R’s (don’t say what speed they are but I think they’re 4x).
My computer info just in case:
AMD Athlon XP 1800
1.53 GHZ
512 MB DDR RAM
60 GB UDMA-100 5400 RPM H
ATI Radeon 7200 64MB
Windows XP Home
DVD Drive: I/O Magic 1008IM DVD ±RW/±R

Here is a rundown on what your dvd-player should and should not play. Some people have had no problems playing burnt DVD’s or CD’s so try changing brand or altering your burn speed to it’s lowest setting and see if that improves on the situation.

When quoting what discs you are using its better for us if we know the media code, go here for a small program that finds out the exact media code for the discs you are using.

Cool, I’ll give that a shot. Thanks for the links!

Here is the info on my discs: Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [LONGTEN 001]
Manufacturer Name : [Longten Technology Co. Ltd.]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

I burned a DVD on a different burner (a Pioneer) with the same discs and they worked in my standalone player. Is it just my burner that’s the problem then?

Pioneer drives are usually better at burning to cheap media than other drives so this could be the cause. Also have a look here and you’ll see that some people are having trouble writing to these discs and getting more errors with these discs. I/O Magic drives are a bit hit and miss on the quality of its internal organs which could be the problem but try changing to a better quality media and see if that cures your problem.Tanyo Yuden
Verbatim
Ricoh

DVD Identifier gives me the following info on my KHypermedia DVD+R disks:

Manufacturer ID : [?,] <- probably some unprintable (foreign) character
Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer ID not found in database]
Media Type ID : [ Not Present On Disc ]
Product Revision : [ 064 ]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , ??x-??x, EI3x, ??x-??x ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported by Method 2]

[08:37:44] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 2 Available Drives)
[08:37:44] Manufacturer Database [03-JUL-04@101$62] Loaded From File : (@101$62) Entries Found
[08:38:45] Unable To Retrieve Version Info From Server. Please Check Internet Connection
[08:43:50] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification…
[08:43:50] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
[08:43:50] ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
[08:43:50] ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; A Firmware Upgrade Is Recommended
[08:43:50] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
[08:43:50] ADIP Read Method 2 Completed Without Errors
[08:43:50] Unknown EI-Block Has Been Detected (EIx)
[08:43:50] An Upgrade Of ‘DVD Identifier’ Is Recommended
[08:43:50] Error : Unknown Version Info Found In Extended Information Block 2
[08:43:50] Error : Unknown Version Info Found In Extended Information Block 3
[08:43:50] Disc Identification Completed Successfully

It does not appear to be very helpful. (I don;t know why it says An Upgrade Of ‘DVD Identifier’ Is Recommended. I just downloaded it. V3.4 Build#4 [JUL-03-2004]. And there is no problem with my Internet connection.)

I am curious whether DVD Identifier can identify commercial movie DVDs. I just put in a Region 3 DVD-9 and a Region-All DVD-5, both made in Hong Kong. DVD Identifier responded Unsupported Medium Detected both times.