Incompatibility between Roxio, Nero and Windows XP

Hi there,

I recently created a data DVD on someone else’s Windows XP PC using Roxio. I then tried to access the files on my PC simply using Windows XP. At first it showed me the files but wouldn’t let me access them. Then it just totally froze and I could do absolutely nothing with the disk; it also got stuck in the drive, and neither the physical nor onscreen Eject buttons would work. Since I have Nero InCD installed, I’m wondering whether this caused the seizure, even though it wasn’t running at the time??

I am about to get several DVDs from another person - but I don’t know which program they used to burn. Should I uninstall Nero InCD and rely on Windows XP to view? Does this remove a potential layer of incompatability - or not make the blindest bit of difference? If the latter, is there anything I can do to make sure I will be able to access the files?

Cheers,

Sarah B.

Hi Sarah

I refuse to use InCD but I do use Roxio’s equivalent (DragtoDisk) which is far safer. So I’d suggest removing it.

I think that the only issue likely to occur is if the incoming DVDs are either multisession or haven’t been finalised.

Hi Tim, thanks for replying.

So I will uninstall InCD, and just rely on Windows to view the files. I presume leaving the other Nero programs in the suite on the PC (esp Burning ROM) won’t be a problem?

I have no idea how the DVDs I’m about to get have been recorded. If, as you say, they are multisession or have been left unfinalised, what is likely to happen? Will I not be able to access them? And is there anything I can do about it at my end?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah.

As far as the running programs incd doesn’t need to be installed, I never used it,to me it’s a memory hog at boot-up. To my knowlege as for if the DVD’s were not finalized then you’ll have the same problem as before unless nero or dvd shrink will finalize the newly recorded burn.