InCD - Windows 2000 pro - Abrupt power down of computer

Hi Guys, I’ve tried google and I’m sick of those damned German T&A pop up with no result (no a good look too since I was at work).
A client’s got a problem where if he takes his CD out, the entire computer would just lose power all together. It’s not going through the shutdown process which would indicate that it’s a software switch. He’s using InCD ver 3.5.20.0.
The problem didn’t occur PRIOR to the installation of InCD. After it’s been installed, this happened.
I haven’t been able to find anything on AHEAD’s website.
If you guys have encountered this problem, please respond, I’d appreciate it.

All the best,

Ka Kwok.

I was able to figure out the problems with InCD and my friend’s CD burner under W2K Pro w/SP3. This InCD FAQ for W2K written up by KCK has been very beneficial. I had to go through it a few times to get to the solution.

If a crash is the problem, then you must set Win2K to blue screen instead of rebooting. InCD( and UDF writers in general) is infamous for crashing Win2K. If you like to spend hours troubleshooting ans tracking problems, you may get it to stop this, but you may not. There aren’t very many things that you can accomplish with InCD that can’t be done faster and safer with Nero. Here, InCD has crashed Win2K on 3 completely different systems.

KaKwok:

Your client should be ejecting InCD discs via the InCD icon or Windows Explorer; hardware ejection via the burner’s button is not supported yet (although it does work for some burners and Windows versions).

Hi, This is Ka. Thanks for the response. I’ve spoke to the client further and have established that he’s ejecting the CD from Windows explorer. It seems fine if he ejects from the eject button.
Go figure.
Originally he was using Nero and that worked quite well but “someone” suggested that he should use InCD instead.
I haven’t even seen InCD till I got the call!
Anyway, since he knows not to eject via explorer, then it gives me a lead. I think I’ll want to work it out but I can take my time now.
Thanks again.

All the best,

Ka.

KaKwok:

As mentioned by rdgrimes, the easiest solution would be to steer your client away from InCD.:cool:

Otherwise, the client should try several brands of CD-RW media to find out which media are suited to his burner. You didn’t tell us what burner and media types he had been using, but for faster burners it may be difficult to find reasonable Ultra Speed (16x-24x) media; e.g., Memorex should be avoided, but Verbatim is usually OK (except for some batches).

Further, your client might be too impatient, trying to eject a disc immediately after some operations. It may be wiser to wait until cached writes are finished.

Hi, thanks for your response. I’ll take that adviseon board. I didn’t named the CD ROM since I can’t even recall seeing the machine in the office (long boring story).
Anyway, the client’s pretty cluey and at least now he knows of a safe way of ejecting the CD. The only reason behind using InCD is that is that we’re using DirectCD with our system and that seems relatively safe. He originally had Nero running but “someone” decided to keep the client roughly standard to eveyone else and suggested using InCD.
To cut a long, boring story short: I got lumped with the proverbial baby.

Such is life.

Thanks for the response.

All the best,

Ka.