InCD v3.51.61...?

Hi…

Does anyone have any comments on the latest upgrade of InCD…v3.51.61…with Win XP…

Did you do an over the top upgrade…or uninstall the last V.xxx and go clean…???

Thanx,
John

Installed it
=> format disc
=> not recognised as formatted disc
=> after 10 retries, suddenly works
=> tried to erase with Nero =>blue screen
=> reboot, then erasing worked
=> tried to format again, but disc is not recognised as formatted afterwards. Strange: ISO-Buster shows an UDF system named “InCD”, but the explorer doesn’t see it…InCD doesn’t see it either. Have to erase it with CloneCD in order to be able to eject the disc.

:a :a

Alex…
Thank You,
John

On my XP Pro SP1 box with Lite-On LTR-48125 VS08, the latest versions of Nero 5.5.9.17, InCD 3.51.61 and EasyWriteReader 3.3.2.0 work quite well, except for some BSOD’s with CD-MRW discs formatted with earlier versions of InCD; InCD can destroy data on such discs, so beware!

If your burner doesn’t support CD-MRW (Mt. Rainier), you don’t need to install EasyWriteReader, and in fact you may have fewer unpleasant suprises (CD-MRW is not quite mature yet).

If you wish to try InCD 3.51.61, consider the following points.

First, try to remove any traces of previous packet writing programs and UDF readers (including the registry) before reinstalling InCD. Similarly if you ever used WMP 9.0, then uninstall the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin and make sure it’s not reinstalled by web updates.

I always remove previous versions of InCD and EasyWriteReader before installing the latest ones.

As always in such cases, try different media, e.g., 4x-10x or 4x-12x discs. If you wish to reformat a disc, for safety first do
Nero|Recorder|EraseReWritable|Full Erase.

What does Nero InfoTool|Configuration say about Autorun for your burner and CD/DVD-ROM? My burner and DVD-ROM have Autorun on, but some other users believe that Autorun off is essential.

KCK…
Thanx…
I read your earlier postings, but was a bit confused on your final results concerning InCD…

I’m runnin XP Pro on a pretty much state of the art PC…P4, 2.4, 1.0 GB DDR, 4-120’s…main software is PhotoShop and some other pic editing stuff…

Right now…I have Nero 55917…runnin just GREAT…
CDRW drives are both Mitsumi’s…a 24X and a 32X…along with a 54X Rom drive…burning pic files and OS BU’s with Drive Image…is a pleasure…I’m using all Verbatim disks…both CDR & CDRW’s…no problems…

As far as InCD goes…right now have v3.31… runnin nice… had v3.37… it acted up with XP… went back to v3.31… so that’s why I posted this question…what’s really “upgraded” with v3.51.61… ???.. Nero ifo site leaves a BIT to be desired…

Thanx,
John

John:

InCD 3.31 worked fine for me, except that after a while I could no longer read CD-MRW discs on my DVD-ROM drive. (SP1 could be the culprit; I’m not sure, but SP1 does change UDF handling.)

InCD 3.51.61 may have better support for DVD writing (I don’t need this); it does “look and feel” a bit differently with the formatting dialogs, but the changes are minor.

So if you’re happy with v3.31, stay with it (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it).

KCK…
I don’t do DVD’s…and 3.31 is “working”…and as you said…stay with it…YUP…

Thanx,
John

I found that on 3.51.61 if you attempt to copy a folder containing a “thumbs.db” file under xp, the system bluescreens. I have found that version to be unstable and laggy in general. I am now using 3.37.0 again with no problems.

Comp…

Thanx…I don’t keep my databases in the same folders as the pics…

John:bow:

compu44:

I’ve just tried to repeat your experiment, i.e., copy a folder containing thumbs.db to an InCD CD-RW disc (under XP Pro SP1). First, using Windows Explorer, I got the “Confirm Stream Loss” querry for thumbs.db, to which I replied Yes. Then Explorer was “Not Responding”; just for fun I closed Explorer, tried to log off, but InCD was not responding, so I powered off and ejected the disc manually, thinking that it was destroyed. To my suprise, after rebooting the disc was OK, and the directory contained all the files copied before thumbs.db.

I’m not sure what would happen if I replied No the querry. Are you saying that 3.31 works in both cases? (BTW, 3.37 seems to have the infamous “rename” bug; search the forums.)

In a second experiment, I copied the same folder via Total Commander (formerly known as Windows Commander) without any problems.

Thus I’m not sure whom we should blame more: Ahead or MS?

well this is just getting annoying. I found the rename bug. A lawyer’s office here in town has purchased 13 systems from me, and I loaded them with the 3.51.61 version of InCD before I found out about the bugs in it. I need one that can replace it SOON. I have a LiteON 52246S in my computer that I am testing this software in, and the computers that they bought all contained 40125S liteon drives, with the exception of one, which had a 48125W. I need the most stable version that will run on the drives that they have. Re-naming would be nice, Mt. Ranier is ABSOLUTELY NESCESSARY, and dvd writing doesn’t matter. I have tested the 3.33 and 3.37 on my box, as well as 3.31. 3.31 comes up in the tray with an exclamation point, as does 3.33. Does anyone know if this is just because of the drive that I have, or something else. I completely removed the previous versions before installing the different ones. That is 4 versions that I have tried and none of them work right. I need something fast! Suggestions please!

TIA

compu44:

I understand your stress, but I expected some feedback on the .db bug.

Anyway, in another variation of your experiment, I used Explorer for copying a folder containing thumbs.db to an InCD CD-MRW disc (note: Mt. Rainier this time!). Again I got the dialog window

Confirm Stream Loss
“The file `Thumbs.db’ has extra information attached to it that
might be lost if you continue copying …”

but this time I replied NO. And guess what? The copy finished as expected, i.e., all the files except thumbs.db were copied! BTW, nobody needs copies of thumbs.db…

So both Ahead and MS could say what you described was a USER ERROR!

I agree that InCD should handle dumb users as well. Yet for now, maybe your customers from the lawyer’s office are smart enough not to click YES after seeing a warning?

Thus I wouldn’t classify your experience as an InCD bug.

As for the lawyer’s office, I’d bet on 3.31 at least for 48125W; I’ve no experience with 40125S (maybe flash them to 48125?). I believe 3.31 can’t recognize your 52246S (too new). But of course you know that you should be doing your testing on the same hardware as in the field…

PS: If anybody is wondering about “Confirm Stream Loss”, take a look at Fig. 13.15, NTFS File System, Chap. 13, Win XP Pro Resource Kit Documentation.

well, I had a miraculuous brain flash. My dad has a 40125S in his computer. Tried the 3.31 on it and it works great. So that is what they will get for now.

I know that they should be able to click no on the dialoge box that says the bit about the stream loss, but i’m really not sure about these people yet, and I don’t want to get blamed for any data loss.

But 3.31 = problem solved for now

and I can run any version on mine, because I know what not to do

Thanks

compu44:

Glad about your “problem solved for now”. But if you “don’t want to get blamed for any data loss”, why don’t you steer your customers away from CD-MRW? I use it for inessential backup only (sort of third layer, with local HD backup coming first). It seems that standard CD-RW (non Mt. Rainier) is more stable. Well, it does take about 10 minutes for formatting, but one can live with it.

well, packet writing is a must at this point, BUT, if the only advantage is the formatting time for MTR, I can deal. Is there anything else important about it? I don’t mind just formatting the discs here at home before taking them up there.

THANKS SO MUCH ALL FOR THE HELP. MUCH APPRICIATED! :slight_smile:

compu44:

I’ve not seen any extensive testing of Mt. Rainier (except for pretty disappointing Philips-compatibility results a couple of months ago). There are various factors (hardware, firmware, MRW software, media), so its practical reliability is debatable at present, to say the least.

As for speed, again I’ve not seen any conclusive results (most reviews don’t even mention how the end of MRW formatting is detected), but my limited experiments indicate that non-MRW can be slightly faster, in both reading and writing.

It seems that the old non-Mt. Rainier technology is no longer being “improved”, and hence it could be more stable at present.

Originally posted by KCK
[B]compu44:

I’ve just tried to repeat your experiment, i.e., copy a folder containing thumbs.db to an InCD CD-RW disc (under XP Pro SP1). First, using Windows Explorer, I got the “Confirm Stream Loss” querry for thumbs.db, to which I replied Yes. Then Explorer was “Not Responding”; just for fun I closed Explorer, tried to log off, but InCD was not responding, so I powered off and ejected the disc manually, thinking that it was destroyed. To my suprise, after rebooting the disc was OK, and the directory contained all the files copied before thumbs.db.

I’m not sure what would happen if I replied No the querry. Are you saying that 3.31 works in both cases? (BTW, 3.37 seems to have the infamous “rename” bug; search the forums.)

In a second experiment, I copied the same folder via Total Commander (formerly known as Windows Commander) without any problems.

Thus I’m not sure whom we should blame more: Ahead or MS? [/B]

Sorry I didnt respond to this. I wasn’t trying to be rude, please understand that I have been going on about 5 hours of sleep per night for the last couple weeks. It does not crash if you choose “NO” on the box, but then again, one of those secretaries is bound to “forget” and click yes.

As far as the bit about total commander, that’s really interresting but I have a theory on why that might happen. Possible total commander doesn’t show/copy hidden files such as thumbs.db? (sorry if that’s dumb, i’ve never used that program before, just a guess)

Well, i’ve just fully given up on packet writing in general on these for now. I set one of them up with incd 3.31 because I found that to be the most stable. Well, I put a CD in, formatted it in Mount Ranier, started copying files, and it crashed and re-booted. Possibly a problem with Mount Ranier? Nope. I formatted the CD in regular, non Ranier format, and it happened again. So I figured rather than mess with it forever, I just removed packet writing software for now and I have began teaching them how to use the built-in windows XP cd burning for now. I think that will work alright for the time being. The only possible problem would be that they can’t just take the CD home and open up a file, edit it, and save it back to the CD, since it’s not packet writing, but i’ll just have to deal with that later. Hopefully Ahead can get their act together and release a satable Packet Writing software, but my hopes aren’t too high for that at the moment…

compu44:

1. I was wondering if InCD 3.31 works when, trying to copy a folder containg thumbs.db, you click Yes on the Confirm Stream Loss querry. No need to apologize (but do try to get more than 5 hours of sleep per night, unless you wish to become the Napolean of the burning world!). Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) can be configured to do almost anything; just try it out (it works perfectly even with the nag screen, and uninstalls well so it won’t break your system if you decide to remove it later).

2. As for your latest Mt. Rainier experiment, you need a proper combination of InCD version, the burner’s firmware and media quality (stay away from 2x or 4x discs). Also make sure that the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin is not installed by WMP; see

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

When the disc failed, did you do Full Erase in Nero|Recorder|EraseReWritable before formatting it to non-Mt. Rainier?

1. The built-in XP CD burning software is a lame version of Roxio. Maybe you could teach the secretaries to use Nero Multisession.

Originally posted by KCK
[B]compu44:

1. I was wondering if InCD 3.31 works when, trying to copy a folder containg thumbs.db, you click Yes on the Confirm Stream Loss querry. No need to apologize (but do try to get more than 5 hours of sleep per night, unless you wish to become the Napolean of the burning world!). Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) can be configured to do almost anything; just try it out (it works perfectly even with the nag screen, and uninstalls well so it won’t break your system if you decide to remove it later).

2. As for your latest Mt. Rainier experiment, you need a proper combination of InCD version, the burner’s firmware and media quality (stay away from 2x or 4x discs). Also make sure that the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin is not installed by WMP; see

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

When the disc failed, did you do Full Erase in Nero|Recorder|EraseReWritable before formatting it to non-Mt. Rainier?

1. The built-in XP CD burning software is a lame version of Roxio. Maybe you could teach the secretaries to use Nero Multisession. [/B]

Well, on 3.31, i’ve never seen the “confirm stream loss” box.

Like I think I said, i’ve never heard of Total Commander before, but I have downloaded from the link that you gave me and I will give it a try. I used to like one called Turbo Browser (basicly a tweaked out explorer.exe) but they have but so much crap in it lately, I don’t really like it any more.
Another Fine example of bloatware. <cough> Microsoft Word </cough>:)

As for the version/firmware/drive/media

LiteON 40125S
Firmware ZS0N
InCD 3.31 (at the moment)
Media= RiTEK 10x (good stuff, I’ve done some testing on it at 12x)

I’m beginning to wonder if the problem might be some of the outrageously long filenames that these secretaries have. I know that nero won’t burn some of them because of the filenames. The built in Windows XP burning is the only one that I have found that will naglessly burn them.

When I was trying the InCD, the Windows XP Data CD Burning plugin was disabled, but not the audio one, so I will have a looksee into that.

Thanks for all of your assistance.

<hehe, “lame version of roxio”… there’s a good one? :)>