InCD Readonly?

vbimport

After using InCD 4 (latest version) sucessfully sometimes, what makes the disk come up marked READ ONLY? have tried everyting i.e. differemt burners, speeds, brands of media, etc.

This is a well-known InCD issue. I posted here in July 2004, but the problem remains unsolved.

Part of the comments were:

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. full-erase the CD
  2. format UDF
  3. write files/folders to CD
  4. wait long enough until writing is completed
  5. eject and reload the CD
  6. the CD becomes read-only (access denied on create folder, delete file, copy file, etc)

In the last 6 months, I came to the conclusion that it does not depend neither on the media (CD or DVD) nor the burner.

I’m using InCD 4.3.0.5 and have experienced the same problem using DVD-RWs. They are OEM discs (no label) sold in stack of 10. Formatting it with InCD as UDF 2.00 allowed me to copy files into it. After allowing the files to be written onto the disc and then re-inserting it, I found that the file system was changed to UDF and was read-only. The strange thing was that this was not a consistent event. Another identical disc from the same stack of 10 still remained an INCDFS file system. How is that explained? Should I use a higher version of UDF, like 2.01 or 2.50 perhaps?

perhaps you should try using the most recent version of InCD…

Well, somebody suggested me the same when I was using InCD version 4.something. Then I upgraded to 4.2.9.1 but nothing changed. Born Loser is using 4.3.0.5 and has the same problem.

In any case, what is the latest InCD version? Why do you think this time it will be different? Do the latest release notes especifically report this problem as fixed?

Thanks

www.nero.com find out for yourself what the newest version is.

updates are provided for a reason - to fix bugs. i don’t know if it fixes your issue, but what do you have to lose?

The latest version is 4.3.11.1, but it requires a serial number, probably for Nero. Anyway, since I have Nero, I could install it. Guess what? The disc that was read as UDF is now INCDFS again and is rewritable. Thanks for the suggestion to upgrade, drpino.

Yes. Updates fix bugs, and also add new ones. What do I have to lose? Time: time to download Nero 6.6.0.6 (29 MB) and InCD 4.3.11.1 (9.6 MB), time to uninstall the old version, time to install the new version, time to re-do all the tests, etc. And if despite all this fuss the problem still remains, then “time” becomes wasted time.

Anyway, the changes from InCD 4.3.0.5 to 4.3.11.1 include 2 (two) new features and 48 (forty eight) bug fixes. Bug fixes #19 and #20 (from http://www.nero.com/en/InCD_4_Release_Notes.html) are:

[ul]
[li]Fixed crash when turning media read-only after unrecoverable IO error
[/li][li]Clarified diagnostic message when media cannot be mounted read-write due to shared read-only lock from another Ahead Software application
[/li][/ul]

It is not clear if these two are the ones that solved the problem, but since in Born Loser’s case the update worked, then I will try it.

gimme a break :rolleyes: time to DL, time to uninstall/install (btw, the updates automatically upgrade existing installs - at least mine do), pfft…try to offer some suggestion and all you can do is whine and complain…

You’re very welcome Born Loser, glad you got things sorted out (and were open to suggestions). :smiley:

If you find it so easy, how much would you charge me to do the upgrade in my place?

Perhaps I should tell you something about the context. The computers to update -three PCs in two different locations- are 1200 km away from my office. My choices are:

1. take a plane and do the updates at the customer’s sites
  2. upload the new versions and do the update over a 56K modem connection (80 MB to transfer)

OTOH, I believe “complaining” and “reporting a problem” are two different things. If nobody “complains” about a problem, then the very first step of improving a product fails miserably. As for suggestions, IMHO my two cents for InCD were here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113368

no argument here. according to your other thread, that was a bug that they were fixing with an update. so update or settle for living with the bug. not sure what the issue was here…

i offered a suggestion, some people listened…some didn’t…end of story. i was only trying to help without knowledge of your context.

in the end, i hope the update helped you out. :slight_smile:

Hold on to your horses with the InCD 4.3.11.1 upgrade. Here’s what really happened after half a day.

I formatted the DVD-RW - full format. It took 1.5 hours for the disc to be ejected. Then I reinserted it in the drive and copied about 1.1GB of files onto it. Then when I tried to eject it, the message “The disc is currently being written. It will eject soon, when the writing is finished” remained for 5.5 hours. It might have lasted longer, had I not terminated it by trying to shut down the system. Eventually I got a blue screen and had to shut down anyway.

So I gave up using this version and reinstalled version 4.3.0.5. Now it seems to be working fine and I’m back to where I was before.

that sucks, sorry it didn’t work out. blue screening though is odd no? sure it’s not a software/OS issue?

I don’t know what exactly caused the blue screen - maybe it was my pressing the eject button repeatedly after I pressed the laptop on/off switch. Thanks for the tip, anyway. But reinstalling InCD 4.3.0.5 seemed to do the trick and the DVD-RW file system is now INCDFS and rewritable. :slight_smile:

The point was: sometimes, complaining can be helpful. I am glad to see that InCD developers read the reports and are willing to solve the problems.

Anyway, following your suggestion I upgraded to InCD 4.3.11.1 and so far it seems OK (no blue screens, no fancy stuff). I can not be sure that the “read-only” bug is gone because it takes a while to show up. Last July it was easier to reproduce, upgrading to InCD 4.2.9.4 made the problem less frequent. I hope this time it is gone for good.

I will use this new version for a few days, and if everything goes well then I’ll pass the update to customer’s.

Thanks

Something happened that required a restore of the entire OS from my image file, and a reinstall of Nero followed by InCD 4.3.11.1. Now it seems to work properly and DVD-RW file systems do not become changed to UDF. They remain as INCDFS. I can’t tell what might happen a few weeks later, though.

I’m persisting in using InCD because I do not know of a better (i.e. more reliable) solution. So before doing any installation, I now use System Restore to create a restore point, which has saved my skin on more than one occasion.

Here’s a good write-up about CD-recordable issues:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq06.html#S6-3.

Roxio has a similar packet writing software called Direct-to-Disc. i don’t use either but have had them both installed. when tested (briefly) i encountered no issues. btw, you can use them with non-RW media as well, you just won’t get back the space that you erase.

Following the advice at this site, http://www.burningissues.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=41f9e2a357d1ffff;act=ST;f=17;t=2, I’ve stopped the IMAPI CD burning service and changed it from Automatic to Manual (instead of Disabled as suggested, in case some services require it), and 6 hours and several DVD-RWs later, InCD 4.3.11.1 is still working well. :smiley:

A better solution? It depends. For a server or a desktop PC, I’d recommend a second hard disk. HDs are cheaper and more reliable than DVD writers. Besides, you don’t have to buy recording media, you don’t have to buy a Nero/InCD license.

My PC has two internal 120GB hard disks, the second one being dedicated to recording TV programmes, and to have enough free space for this purpose it cannot be used for backups. So I use an external USB2 120GB hard disk for backups. This solution works, but is extremely unreliable, often giving “Delayed Write Failures.” Anyway, this is a whole other issue, but if you’re interested, you can read all about it here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/2459/?o=0. In any case, I use InCD-formatted CD-RWs and DVD-RWs to backup data that changes often as another level of defence against data loss. For archiving data that doesn’t change any more, I use CD-Rs.

Once upon a time, before hard disks were common, I backed up data on two floppy disks (5.25" ones). Unfortunately, both disks became corrupted at the same time. That was the last straw that turned me into a backup freak. That’s why I do my backups often, and for important stuff, preferably on media that I can bring offsite.