InCD ..not formatting

IH.
I running WinXP…and presently using InCD v337…just stopped recognizing legit CDRW disks…

Worked for months…I tried goin back to 331…329…same thing…

Nero 5599 is working fine…not burning probs…
IMAPI is disabled…

I can using drop/drag from previously formatted disks…

I have 2 burners…a Mitsumi CR-48X9TE and a Plextor PX-W4012A…practically brand new…and when I do try to “FORMAT” a CDRW…it does not recognize the media as a CDRW…using Verbatim disks…

The real PIA…is it won’t let me shut the pC down or restart…says InCD is still writing/running…have to go to task manager to shut it down…and a few time that didn’t work…had to POWER DOWN the PC…

Anyone have any ideas…
Thanx,
John

I’ve seen In-CD fail to format CD-RW disks before, but write to preformatted CDs fine and that happened because the computer had the Klex virus. Once I removed it, In-CD worked fine again. If you don’t have a recent or updated virus checker, get F-prot for DOS or AVG for windows (both free) to do a scan.

I never tried Verbatim CD-RWs before, but I know Memorex and Infiniti CD-RWs work fine for me. If you’ve used the Verbatim CD-RW’s for something else, such as regular data CDs, I’d recommend doing a full format using Nero Burning ROM and then try In-CD again.

If you never successfully formatted a new Verbatim CD-RW before using In-CD, then it may be worth it to upgrade your CD-Writer’s firmware.

If you still cannot get In-CD to work, you could also try using roxio Direct CD if you have it as that never gave me any problems before. Direct CD & In-CD formatted CDs are compatible with each other. On my PC, I have Direct CD for CD-RWs and Nero Burning ROM for regular writing. In-CD is not compatible with my Samsung 8x8x32 writer although it works fine with a 40125S Liteon on another PC :wink:

Sean…
Thanx…
I really don’t know what happened here…it was working great for months…possibly that XP SP1 messed it up…

I’ll play with it for a few more days…and re-post on what I “found”…if anything…

I doubt (?) if it’s firmware…I can burn CD’s with Nero 5599…most annoying part…it’s telling me it’s still writing when I didn’t even attempt to write anything…cause I CAN’T format the disk…unrecognized disk…

Thanx…
John

I wouldn’t use InCD v3.37 with WinXP. There are reports of bugs and problems all over the boards with this version and WinXP. I was able to replicate the problems myself. Version 3.31 works far better with WinXP, and I would use it instead.

It sounds as if your problem is being caused by something else, though. After you do a virus scan as seanbyrne has suggested, let us know if that fixed the problem. If not, we’ll continue to help you troubleshoot and fix the problem.

Thanx…

I did the virus scan again with AVG…nothing turned up…also ran House Call…nothing…

So I tried a RESTORE POINT from about 2 days ago…InCD worked then…v337…

Only thiing that changed was a MS “Critical Update”…#329048

Something to do with …“Unchecked Buffer in File Decompression”…I will NOT be adding that update again…

What I “might” try is uninstalling v337…installing 331…and then try that MS update…329048…

I’ll keep ya’ posted…

Thanx,
John

Inertia…

I replied a bit too quick…337 worked for a while…tried 331 then…back to the same thing…unrecognized media (CDRW disks)…and InCD keeps runnin in the backround…had to use Task Mgr to shut it down…

Status…hell with packet writing…Nero 5599 is working fine…stock up on CDR’s…
Un-installed all InCD software…

Take Care…
John

Do you mean that after you insert a formatted CDRW into your drive and InCD’s arrow don’t change from red to green?
If yes, I am having the same trouble also on a Win98SE. My way to fix that is to insert another disc into the drive, let it load, eject, then put the formatted CDRW back in.
This trick seems to work for me. :bigsmile:

It will read a formatted CDRW…BUT I cannot format an original unformatted disk or re-format a previously formatted disk…

I have no idea what to try next…if anything…

Thanx,
John

Oh, or this problem, I got it also! LOL! :bigsmile:
I got a hotfix for this problem, but the files required to solve this problem is not located on Windows XP.
But here’s a way for Win9x:
1.) Click Start -> Run
2.) Type cdplayer then press Enter / Return.
3.) Once cdplayer appears, select the currect CD-Writer drive letter. (Which is drive contains the CDRW you want to format).
4.) Click the “Eject” button or the “Sandwich” button if you like to call it that. :slight_smile:
5.) Wait a few seconds.
6.) InCD then should change the icon from red to green. (In the systemtray.)
7.) You can then start writing to the CDRW.

P.S. Do not attempt to eject the CD using Windows Explorer. (My Computer -> Drive (Right-Click), Eject), If you do, your computer may freeze or crash.

Because Windows XP don’t have the cdplayer program, you cannot use the eject trick. But you can try other programs which has a eject button (example would be: PowerDVD) If all fails, you may want to copy the cdplayer program from a Windows 9x to your Windows XP.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile: