InCD disaster

I moved moved all my important files over to a CD-RW with InCD yesterday in preparation to reformatting. Now the CD shows up as 0 mb used 0 mb free. If I try and open it it says device not ready. I’m using Win98 SE right now and was using Adaptec EasyCD and DirectCD before I got this Lite-On. I uninstalled all the Adaptec programs and threw away all left-over Adaptec files but did not mess with any of the Adaptec registry entries. My 2 questions are 1) Is there any way at all I can get that data back? 2) What happened?

Just to make things clear it was working fine yesterday. This morning the computer was locked up and after I reset I couldn’t read the CD. I can still read other CDR and CDRW just fine.

I don’t know if you can get your data back, but what happened to you is nothing special. It’s a normal behavior of InCD/DirectCD to kill discs once in a while.
If you reset your PC while an InCD/DirectCD-disc is in use, then it is always unreadable.

I can’t even update the software because it says InCD is still processing a CD.

That’s also normal. You have to use the task manager to close it.

As alexnoe mentioned, if the computer locks up or is rebooted while a packet writing progam is active (unejected CD-RW disc still in drive), the disc will be corrupted and unreadable. This occurs because a small amount of UDF data must be written before the disc is ejected to finish the session. If the computer locks up or is rebooted, this data is lost.

If the information is critical, you might try CD-R Diagnostic. CD-R Diagnostic is a data recovery tool that works on all CDR-RW data including packet writing. You can download a free evaluation copy to see if it can find your files, but the free version won’t allow you to copy them. The full version is $49.95 (U.S.).

Roxio’s DirectCD ScanDisc utility may be able to recover the files on the disc. The latest version of ScanDisc available with DirectCd is 5.3.1.154. Although the disc was written with InCD, it’s worth a try.

NTI’s FileCD works a little differently than InCD and DirectCD. It is sometimes successful in recognizing packet written discs that won’t open. If you have a copy of this program available, it’s also worth a try.

Thanks for the link. I gave CDR Diagnostic a try but it only found the EasyWrite files. I guess thats what I get for being too lazy to figure out where I put my CDR discs. Like my old construction boss used to tell us (right after you whacked yoru thumb with a claw hammer), nothing like pain for a teacher.

Data is lost as packet writing software writes the allocation table when you eject it, if there isnt an allocation table to read there might as well be no data on the disc.

Never delete data untill you are 100% sure it has been written to the CD-RW (although i am sure this has been said a million times, it is worth saying again :))

Never delete data untill you are 100% sure it has been written to the CD-RW

The correct saying is:
Never delete data.

I don’t know people I guess I am just luckily
I have erased data many times
CDRW disc stays in my drive at all times
I have crashed
I have had to hit the reset button on the PC
I have had to re format

I have never lost data on a cd RW disc
I use direct CD
Strange as it my be the only disk I lost was a CR that I took data from a CDRW disk .2 burners 1 DVD rom and 1 CDrom all can not read the CDR disc.
Luckily I still had the Data on the CDRW disc:)

I can’t recall that I have ever lost data on a packet written CD-RW disc either. On way or another, I have always gotten it back, even from problem discs.

Yes, I know.
I have been getting these problems sometimes also using InCD.

1. Sometimes InCD freezes after formating a CD-RW and then will lock up the drive.
  2. InCD don’t detect MRW-CDs when they are inserted into the drive.

I got the first problem a lot and same as you, I am using Win98SE and a LiteOn, but if you have the first problem, here maybe a workaround for you:

1. Get the drive letter for your LiteOn and remember it.
  2. Click Start, Run.
  3. Type cdplayer and then click OK.
  4. Click on the Artist dropdown list and select your LiteOn drive letter and then click the sandwich button (eject button).
  5. Then InCD icon should change to an green arrow and then InCD should be unfrozen.

If that’s not the case, then I guess this didn’t help much…
But I hope this helps you a little bit :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Try CD-R Diagnostic…It worked great for me!
www.arrowkey.com

it’s nice to know that i’m not the only one that has had problems with packet writing software…

Just a note:

Not all packet writing software waits until the cd is ejected to write the allocation table.

Using VOB InstantWrite, I can eject the disk after any write operation by pushing the button on the CD burner. It doesn’t require ejection using an icon in the system tray. As a matter of fact, it doesn’t even utilize an icon in the system tray.

VOB InstantWrite maintains the TOC/FAT each time a write operation is performed. As long as the write operation has completed, you can shut down the computer by pulling the plug from the wall if you wish. The disc will be fully intact.

There’s some things about VOB software that I don’t care for. But, the InstantWrite packet writer has been the most reliable I’ve ever used.

VOB is recently purchased by Pinnacle Systems (the video company). I hope they don’t ruin it.

-vj2k

Good information, videojockey2002.:wink:

The information in this string (including my own) about corrupted and unreadable CD-RW discs if the computer locks up or is rebooted while a packet writing progam is active (unejected CD-RW disc still in drive) applied to earlier generations of packet writing software and is not a problem with recent versions of DirectCD.

As JJL has reported and I have just tested, a DirectCD packet written disc can be left in the drive when the computer is rebooted. This causes no problems whatsover.

DirectCD can also be ejected directly with the drive button (hardware eject) instead of a tray or Explorer icon (software eject). It makes no difference whatsover and results in no data loss or corruption.

A lot of the old information about earlier generations of packet writing programs is still posted on the web and is now incorrect. Unfortunately, it is still quoted because it has never been updated to reflect fixes and current software capabilites.