InCD/DirectCD - warning

I never use Packet Writing to make backups. Even though it is touted as an easy way to make backups, it really isn’t designed for this since it isn’t readable on all machines.

But packet writing is very useful for quickly putting files on a CD that you need to use elsewhere. I treat it just like a floppy disk where its easy to put files on the CD and go over to a different computer and read them. With high speed connections and the internet this really is becoming less and less necessary though.

Still I wouldn’t trust Packet Writing software for critical data backup.

I have no problems with DirectCD. The earlier versions were a little buggy but the latest 5.3 is rock stable.

InCD unfortunate never worked for me properly. it is crap.

With the most recent versions of DirectCD, if you have a drive that supports Mt. Rainier, you can only do a fast format of CD-RW media, and you lose the “Compression” option, as well. This is at least true in v5.3.1.154 SP4. I understand this will be resolved with the release of ECDC 6.

@Prowler

You are right about Mt. Rainier.

A beta tester has confirmed that EZCD6 will have all options enabled.

Full Format & Compression.

true, packet writing is crap, I’ve been using it for years and lost gigabytes of data (no exaggeration). nowadays I simply put everything on harddisc and then when I got 700 mbs, I burn it to cdr. another possibility (if you got not enough space left, or need space for a game, because mafia, for example needs 1.8 gbs:( ) is to use multisession. very easy in winoncd and it has no disadvantages, because you can see all burned data on a multisession cd before finalising, just put the cdr into your burner, if you need some file before finalisation. this is very secure, as opposed to packet writing, because multisession is normal burning, just not finalised cdr, while packet writing often has problems with burning, so that some data is unreadable and even CD-R Diagnostic couldn’t read it in many cases I tried to use my files on a packet writing cd

Originally posted by WRFan
true, packet writing is crap, I’ve been using it for years and lost gigabytes of data (no exaggeration). nowadays I simply put everything on harddisc and then when I got 700 mbs, I burn it to cdr. another possibility (if you got not enough space left, or need space for a game, because mafia, for example needs 1.8 gbs:( ) is to use multisession. very easy in winoncd and it has no disadvantages, because you can see all burned data on a multisession cd before finalising, just put the cdr into your burner, if you need some file before finalisation. this is very secure, as opposed to packet writing, because multisession is normal burning, just not finalised cdr, while packet writing often has problems with burning, so that some data is unreadable and even CD-R Diagnostic couldn’t read it in many cases I tried to use my files on a packet writing cd

Earlier versions of Packet Writing software really were buggy & caused data loss to me but, the latest DirectCD 5.3 is fine. rock stable & likes my LTR-48125S:p . I have been using it to store very imp data. No probs till date.

I hope no probs crop up though:bow:

ive had incd 3.51.61 version running fine -why’s everyone having such issues???(although prev version did cock up my pc with xtra drives and random func of drive??no blue screens thank god)) but now it seems fine ?? and i also use directcd for AGES and thats very good PW software nowadays

DirectCD 3 (!!) has worked fine for me for about 4 years…till it did weird things.
InCD never worked :frowning:

Originally posted by alexnoe
DirectCD 3 (!!) has worked fine for me for about 4 years…till it did weird things.

thats the same thing with me.

Incd has never worked for me.

DirectCD is a charm, especially the latest 5.3

I’m running WinXP Pro SP1.

Stay away from InCD 3.37. InCD 3.31 works and then you have to jump to v3.51.91. I have no problems except that you need to startup InCD before inserting the formated CD so that it detects it. If no detect, right click on the InCD tray icon and choose properties to force detection.

I always avoided cd-rw. But recently got a Sony bisexual dvd r/w job and decided packet writing was necessary given the cost of the media. Using Veritas DLA, which was supplied. Works really great with dvd disc’s. But if I put a regular cdr to read in either of the 2 drives in the pc the DLA software seems to grab hold of the system and I cannot read the cdr. Once ejected the File Explorer works again. Still fooling with this and may end up uninstalling Veritas Recording software. It is incompatible with Nero and I removed it during this test period.

Originally posted by alexnoe

I’d like to get away from all things Roxio (clean uninstalled), nuff said. Got Nero but now

(1) can’t WRITE anymore to my CD-R’s and
(2) can’t even ACCESS my DVD-R’s

Reluctantly considering reinstalling just Direct CD to see if I can read AND write to my CD-R’s and DVD-R’s (Roxio’s UDF reader didn’t help with the writing, of course).

Also, was considering trying InCD, but posts here have discouraged me about that. Looks like my best option is to copy my 80 CD-R’s and 15 DVD-R’s of files back to C:\ and find some other way to back them up to disks. That really chaps my behind!!

Nero multisession is sounding good, but I like the convenience of drag/drop from Explorer without keeping Nero open. Is there some simple utility just for multisession writing? How about WinonCD?

Anybody?

BTW, I don’t understand this: I copied files my DVD-R’s with Direct CD, but now that I uninstalled all Roxio, then installed Roxio’s UDF reader, I cannot even access the DVD-R’s. What can I do?

Thanks.

Well, my internal CDRW drive went (bought 1/2000 HP Pavilion, came with CDRW) and some of my files that I created, recently, with Direct CD are not retreivable. I did not realize it was the burner at the time and I tried to uninstall EZ CD Creator 5 Plat. and well, many of you know that it is not an easy thing to do and I was taken by surprise when I tried to do it and could not, but about this time the drive went completely although I still thought it was the software, until I put 2 and 2 together (everytime I inserted a disc into the drive and tried to access it or it had an autorun feature, it would lock up the computer).

I went and installed a Memorex badged Liteon 52x24x52 and then decided to check out Roxio’s web site about uninstalling EZ. After finding the info. I wanted on their forums, I did a search for “Direct CD Problems” and found a whole host of problems with regard to data loss. I recommend anyone using Direct CD go to www.roxio.com and check out their forums. A lot of good info. on uninstalling it (everytime I tried, I kept getting the install program trying to install it, until I did the clean install procedures) and on Direct CD problems.

One tip I picked up was to use a program called CDR Diagnostic to analyze any lost data. There is a free trial of the program but it is limited to searching for the data and showing which files can be saved, but you have to buy the full product to save them and for those who may have lost gig’s of irretrievable data, it may be worth it. Most of the data I lost can be recovered since it is still uploaded into different groups at Yahoo and those that aren’t uploaded I can beg kind people to email me.

I wondered why Iomega came out with their 750 MB Zip drive when CDRW’s and Direct CD was the way to go (or so I thought), now I’m starting to consider buying one and using it as a way to keep the data and manipulate it before final commitment to burn it to a CDR(w) with CD Creator.

im using the latest nero and incd software with mount rainer switched on when i burn and i have no issues??? its quite quick to forat also …AND if i take to my m8s house it automatically installs software (easywrite udf)so that it can be read on a non ‘incd’ pc LOL soo whats wrong with incd?? i thinks its not bad software at mo better than that hog called easy cd and direct cd (which i used for years but no more )

gl

You call Direct CD a Hog, but according to this web site, the beta version of Mount Ranier tested used up more space than Direct CD. Has that changed? After losing data when my previous CDRW died, I will not go back to packet writing software very quickly, be it MR or DCD or InCD.

BTW, Direct CD also loads a reader that allows a computer without Direct CD loaded to read a CDRW created with Direct CD. I used this on my legacy computer at work (runs Winnt), however, the new computers we have at work read the older Direct CD disks directly (running Win 2000) in the DVD/CD Rom combo drive (wish it was a CD writer).

I just installed a fresh new system with WinXP Pro SP1 and loaded the Nero that came with my new CD-R/RW drive. I installed the InCD that was on the disc, but it didn’t work. So, I jumped out to their website (last night) and downloaded the most current version. It recognized the CD-R/RW disc and formatted it.

I had to disable the WinXP CD burning service.

Anyway, I have an application called “2nd Copy” installed as a service. Every night at 3:30a 2nd Copy compresses the “documents and settings” folder into a .zip file and dumps it on to the CDRW disc. Another 2nd Copy ‘profile’ grabs my Quicken data and does the same thing.

I ran these jobs a couple of times manually and they appear to have worked ok. I also checked the auto-process that happened overnight.

Call the whole thing a poor man’s backup, but I’ve lost data to often to remember.

The general feel in this forum is that my process is destined to fail? If packet writing software is so bad then why do companies like Nero and Roxio distribute and support it? Seems crazy!

Now, a question: will I be able to read my data on another PC I have that doesn’t have a burner or InCD installed?

Regards,

dot

“There’s a real danger in trying to be all things to all people. You can often wind up being of little use to anyone.”

dotMATRIX:

See S8 in the InCD guide

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9572

For all you folks that have suffered with lost packet data try a proggie called Iso buster. It can recover data from virtually any type CD disaster situation. PM me if you need further “details”. :cool:

Hi,

I recognize all of these effects but I must say that it is not the Packet Writing technology that causes the troubles. InCD as well as DirectCD are UDF (Universal Disc Format) writer applications (and yes they are mutually exclusive so don’t install the both of them) and their UDF interpretations cause all the trouble.

If you would know the UDF specification you could imagine that it is almost impossible to produce good software for it because of its muddle-headed nature. It contains methods for almost everything but no explanation about the processes whatsoever. It is therefore left to the imagination and interpretation of the (Roxio, Ahead) software developers how they will implement a UDF writer app.

FYI: a CD formatted with InCD is not writable under DirectCD and vice versa. Hence compatibility between the disc format is the big problem here, not the incompatibility of the discs.

The InCD UDF-application does not contain the VAT (Virtual Allocation Table) which makes a CD-R behave like a CD-RW because they are not the inventor of this method and hence must pay licenses which they don’t. Therefore you can’t e.g. rename a file on a CD-R or update a file under InCD. DirectCD obviously does pay the licensees (or just steals the idea) and therefore it has many more possibilities on CD-r’s.

After ample experiments I must conclude that DirectCD is the better built application but that doesn’t mean it is free of bugs, annoyances and peculiarities. Sometimes it refuses to write to a recordable CD caused by the UDF detection which has somehow failed, and will treat the disc as a read-only disc (for safety).
Sometimes I get the message that the data on the CD is no longer valid and that I should backup the data. Ejecting the disc and reloading it again may cease the problems (for a while).

I have never had these problems when recording a CD as an ISO-9660 CD with neither software packages; other problems occur like buffer-under runs. Of course when you pull the power plug while writing your CD will be lost but this has nothing to do with good or bad writer software.

About the Mount Rainier drives; these will also use Packet Writing and will also utilize the UDF disc format but these drives will take care of defect management themselves. They’ll claim additional disc space to place the defects so the net free disc size will be even smaller with CD-MRW. Currently the DirectCD and InCD application (the drivers thus) perform the defect management. Therefore I doubt whether these problems will be over caused by CD-MWR drives.

I’ve given up on packet writing – it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Simply uninstall it.
(InCd is far better than Roxio Direct CD but both are a pain)

If you want to add data to CD/RW, or any type of DVD just create a multi-session disk with Nero

1. start Nero with start multi-session for initial data loading

screen shot shown below

1. Then next time you want to add data start nero again and click the Continue multi session.

2. When you don’t want to add any more data click the finalize button.

For read write media Nero will prompt you if media needs to be erased.

Another good thing with Nero - especially in compiling a large (4.7GB) DVD is that you can click the option to close your machine down after finishing your job so you can start it before going to bed etc and just leave your computer running.

As a bonus you can make any type of CD / DVD – UDF is also supported

I even make bootable DVD-RAM discs (the ones in a caddy) and they work great.