InCD behaving strangely

I installed Nero InCD and I’m trying to get it to use a DVD+RW with my Samsung SH-S162L drive.
It formats the disc just fine, but every time I try to save something it keeps spinning up and down, and locks the computer for a second or three every time.
This is very annoying. Not much for the noise, but because it makes saving stuff from the web very irritating. Every file saved keeps me from surfing for as long as it takes the drive to do its thing, and while it usually takes, oh, maybe 2 seconds, sometimes it takes rather more (it’s taken about 10 once).
Is this normal? I don’t mind the drive spinning up and down repeatedly, but I can’t believe the computer needs to freeze in the meantime.

Also: after a while I gave up and erased the DVD+RW. Since the DVD was new I could see the color difference between the burned and free parts, and it looked like it had been burned up to about half of its diameter
But I only saved a few text files, some pictures and two short movies.
That’s got to be at least 1.5 gigs… is this normal UDF formatting procedure or is something amiss?

nero admits incd is not compatible with windows xp sp2, blames MS.

you have to do a full format with RW’s the first time

Didn’t know that. But it’s understandable, hey, SP2 is only, what, two years old? /sarcasm

Will try doing a full format.

It’s not working. I did a full erase followed by a full format, and it still keeps spinning up and down as it writes. Lengthy downloads saved directly on the DVD can cause the computer to become unresponsive for about 2 seconds every 20 or so…

I’m tempted to ditch InCD and try DirectCD. Is it any better?

directcd is worse, use the nero clean tool for incd, imgburn will do a full format of dvd-rw’s as will other programs,

rw’s are not all reliable, waste a lot of time with them

dvd-ram is best for that kind of use

DaChew told you the right thing.
Myself, I had big expectations about using +RW “like a large floppy” as they used to say.
I also used InCD and ended giving up the use of RWs and opting for RAM.
Not the behaviour you report - that it is rather strange and must have other reasons, not just InCD - but from time to time I had to re-format the disc because InCD could’t see the information.
I concluded it would happen after deleting files burnt in previous “sessions” not the last ones, and it could be during TOC update.
In you case it seems a problem during disc recognition also. Have you experiment with different brands of discs?
Anyway - if you want a reliable media, go for DVD-RAM instead. All packet writting software tend to show probs.

I agree with using DVD-RAM for downloads instead of these proprietary packet writing programs. I remember DirectCD with Adaptec’s Easy CD Creator 3.5 acting up all the time. It’s not any better these days, and neither is InCD in my opinion. I’ve been fooling around with DVD-RAM discs lately and so far they seem to be a more intergrated and reliable solution in XP. The format options for DVDRAM are several varieties of UDF, and Fat32. I believe the worst part about Fat32 is filesize limit of 4 GB, but that shouldn’t be a frequent problem. DVD-RAM reading compatibility can also be an issue, a lot of drives don’t support it, out of the box at least.

I’d rather spend my money on more hard drives than on DVD-RAM. They are really too expensive. In contrast, DVDRW are dirt cheap: if I can use them without trouble with newer packet writing software, then good. If I can’t… eh, I’ll keep saving on the hard disk and burning backups the good old way.

I uninstalled InCD and decided I’d give DLA a whirl. I installed the version for Dell notebooks, and so far everything seems to be working right (kinda surprisingly, because I have a Toshiba, and I expected DLA to tell me it wouldn’t install).
Is there anything terribly bad about DLA that I should know about?

That should be history as more recent versions are available. I agree, that InCD is something, that shouldn’t be installed if there are other solutions.

Michael

Hi,

It depends on your needs. DVD-RAM is best for backups of personal data, provided, Panasonics DVD-RAM driver is installed. To backup stuff downloaded from the internet, videos and similar, +/-R or +/-RW media are better.

Michael

Well, so much for that. It started doing exactly the same thing, spinning up and down the drive continuously, but now the computer froze. After 30 seconds I yanked the USB plug out, got a nice bluescreen and the computer rebooted.
As soon as Windows was up again, DLA went bye-bye.
That’s it, I’m through with UDF.

Man, I’m starting to hate optical storage… it’s only good for backups, and not even that good because DVDs are becoming small…

You’re told about it…the price depends on how you value your data, and DVD-RAM without cartridge are not as expensive as that…ok, RW are cheaper but you get problems…so a new HDD for keeping more data may be an idea but it’s a different approach than the one you did start the thread.