Inaccurate book type reporting under Nero DiskSpeed 4.11.4.0 for Optiarc AD-7200A w/ bitsetting firmware 1.09(modified)

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have inconsistent book type reporting under Nero DiscSpeed version 4.11.4.0. I’m using this in conjunction with an Optiarc AD-7200A w/ modified bitsetting firmware version 1.09. OS is Windows XP Home. Media type affected is both DVD+R and DVD+R DL, manufactured by Ritek, branded as Memorex. The problem occurs for discs I burned with the factory-original 1.05 firmware and the modified 1.09 firmware. I have used BinFlash Win32 GUI v1.46a (NEC/Optiarc) both to flash the drive and to enabled automatic bitsetting of both DVD+R and DVD+R DL discs to type DVD-ROM.

If a disc is in the burner prior to launching DiscSpeed, it seems to report accurately–DVD+R and DL burned since the firmware flash and “hard-bitsetting” both show as type DVD-ROM; DVD+R DL burned prior to the firmware flash also show as DVD-ROM due to factory-enabled automatic bitsetting on this media type, whereas DVD+R burned prior to the flash correctly show as book type DVD+R. But if the tray is opened and closed (same disc), the book type shows as DVD+R (or DL) once the disc is rescanned. Changing the disc to another burn while the program is running, then allowing the rescan produces same results: inaccurate book type reporting in the same manner.

I’m assuming this is not media-related for obvious reasons, but this leaves me wondering if it’s due to a bug in the DiscSpeed application, or (less likely IMO) inaccurate reporting by the drive from a somewhat buggy firmware modification.

I’ve been searching this site and forums, but can’t find any references to this error–any info of advice would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

if it’s due to a bug in the DiscSpeed application,

Same drive and FW with same discs +R Ritek F16. No problems reporting with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.15.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2213611]Same drive and FW with same discs +R Ritek F16. No problems reporting with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.15.[/QUOTE]

Thanks–I’ll try side-/down-grading to CD-DVD Speed (or upgrading to the version 5 beta of DiscSpeed) when I get off work, see if it resolves the issue.

The issue persisted for Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 and Nero DiscSpeed 5.0.1.250 until I ran across a recommendation that I copy The Nero ASPI manager .dll (found at ftp://ftp6.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll) into the same directory as the program executable, as I don’t have Nero burning software installed–that seems to have resolved the issue. :slight_smile:
Thanks!