In theaters, 3D movie prices about to spike

vbimport

In theaters, 3D movie prices about to spike.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/03/7DsOmk.jpg[/newsimage]Prepare for a sudden jolt to the price of 3D movie tickets, as theater chains try to cash in on the trend.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/in-theaters-3d-movie-prices-about-to-spike-27587/](http://www.myce.com/news/in-theaters-3d-movie-prices-about-to-spike-27587/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

typical, screw over the consumer.

so movie theatre prices are almost at the point you can buy a movie and watch it at home… hell two tickets, you could buy it on bluray and have change leftover to buy some munchies.

morons. movie theatres are finally making some money again, and they want to mess with it.

This trend will drive consumers away from the movie theaters. It’s bad enough that the greedy movie companies take enough from the box office draw, which in turn leaves the theater chains in the position to ask for ridiculous prices in the concessions to stay a float. $63.00 for four + concessions could turn into a $100.00 plus.

:cool::cool:

I could see hollywood going all-in with 3D just to keep away piracy. And in this case it would b a win-win for them. Cant find a good TS on p2p? looks like you would actually have to go to the theatre to see it AND pay whatever price they may have.

Last time 3D was killed by gimmicks. This time it will be pricing off the market…

Man it is already almost 9 dollars to go during the day and about 13 to go at night. That is for one person.

“theaters believe that consumers will pay an even higher premium for the experience of seeing 3D movies in theaters,”

They’re wrong. Dead wrong. They want to try this while we’re still in the grips of a recession? A price jump will mean even less money for them.

Support bacteria. It’s the only culture some people have.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2504506]Man it is already almost 9 dollars to go during the day and about 13 to go at night. That is for one person.[/QUOTE] Be glad you’re not in the Euro-loving-continent. It’s 15 Euro’s here.

theaters believe that consumers will pay an even higher premium for the experience of seeing 3D movies in theaters
I’m already paying way too much for preheated pop-corn and a normal can of soda, so why not overprice the damn 3d features as well.

What’s next? Paying for my parking spot next to the cinema? Oh wait…

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2504533]Be glad you’re not in the Euro-loving-continent. It’s 15 Euro’s here.[/QUOTE]

15 Euro? Wow, that’s $20.55 Canadian. I spent $14 to see Avatar in 3D two weeks ago. Non-3D is $11. Dude, you Europeans are getting ripped off.

“Daddy, what does FORMATTING DRIVE C: mean?”

IIRC it was €17.50 when I saw Avatar 3D here.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2504550]IIRC it was €17.50 when I saw Avatar 3D here.[/QUOTE] Avatar 3D was about € 20,- here. € 16 for the movie, €2 extra because it’s an extended movie (meaning longer than 90 minutes) and €2.50 for lending us the 3d glasses. No, we could not keep the glasses. Extra upon extra upon extra.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2504562]Avatar 3D was about € 20,- here. € 16 for the movie, €2 extra because it’s an extended movie (meaning longer than 90 minutes) and €2.50 for lending us the 3d glasses. No, we could not keep the glasses. Extra upon extra upon extra.[/QUOTE] The glasses were €4 here and we got to keep them, but I don’t remember if the €17.50 was including or excluding the glasses.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2504562]Avatar 3D was about € 20,- here. € 16 for the movie, €2 extra because it’s an extended movie (meaning longer than 90 minutes) and €2.50 for lending us the 3d glasses. No, we could not keep the glasses. Extra upon extra upon extra.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that’s unreal. That’s $27.40 CAD, 60 cents shy of what I paid for BOTH my wife and I to see Avatar 3D. That boggles my mind. They did have recycling bins for the glasses, but I decided to keep mine. Why would Europeans be made to pay almost twice as much as Canadians and, presumably, Americans? I think if I lived in Europe I’d just wait for the DVD to come out and rent it. Or are DVD rentals there €7?

Boycott shampoo. Demand real poo !!

I though nyc had it bad, but you Europeans are getting ripped off. How much are brand new Blu-ray movies?

I wonder if they’ll start selling anal-ease at the concession stand! I’ve pretty much stopped going to the movies because of the high ticket prices. Around here they haven’t passed up $10 yet, unless you see a 3D movie, which I never plan to. Guess this will be another boost for Redbox.

[QUOTE=silver30;2504968]I though nyc had it bad, but you Europeans are getting ripped off. How much are brand new Blu-ray movies?[/QUOTE] Typically DKK 200 here in Denmark which is approx EUR €27 or USD $36 including a 25% sales tax.

Disney stuff is usually more expensive, however.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2505022]Typically DKK 200 here in Denmark which is approx EUR €27 or USD $36 including a 25% sales tax.

Disney stuff is usually more expensive, however.[/QUOTE]

That is just too expensive. This is why people pirate stuff.

So the MPAA is taking a page from the book of the RIAA. If a product is selling well, jack up the price to force them to pay more. Not like they can get their fix anywhere else, right?

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2504581]Why would Europeans be made to pay almost twice as much as Canadians and, presumably, Americans?[/quote] Usually American products for worldwide sale get the US dollar price in Euro price…

Meaning: if your dvd costs $17 at Target’s, it’ll cost 17 Euro at the local Free Record Shop here.

I think if I lived in Europe I’d just wait for the DVD to come out and rent it. Or are DVD rentals there €7?
Almost, normal dvd’s around 5, top products 7,50. :slight_smile: