In space, no one can see you pirating

vbimport

In space, no one can see you pirating.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/10/dV4Vtp.jpg[/newsimage]Pirate Party members around the world recently began a brainstorming session to figure out where they could host servers without having to worry about prosecution for violating copyright laws. The results of their discussions were literally out of this world.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/in-space-no-one-can-see-you-pirating-35684/](http://www.myce.com/news/in-space-no-one-can-see-you-pirating-35684/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

put the severs on the moon or if you pay us enough we will allow you to put them on mars We already have a lot of your junk on mars already

Yeah, right. Talk about space piracy… :smiley:

If there is no copyright law in outer space, I do wonder if there is anything to protect their equipment from sabotage. For example, I would imagine the Pirate Party would have problems going after the MAA/RIAA if they destroyed their satellite.

It would be amusing though if the satellite is used to carry pirate TV.

Pirates are prepared to pay the cost for a satellite and for sending it into space, so that people can download free warez and pr0n?

Somehow I doubt it!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2551851]Pirates are prepared to pay the cost for a satellite and for sending it into space, so that people can download free warez and pr0n?

Somehow I doubt it![/QUOTE]
The pirates could just hack into any satellite & take it over. That is if there are no laws in space . Even if there are laws about this here on Earth no country can actually establish ownership of space. So any property in space could be considered fair game since the rights to put it in a certain spot can’t be sold . Ownership is shaky at best since no one has authority to “police” space & no right to say what is a crime in space.

[QUOTE=cholla;2551866]The pirates could just hack into any satellite & take it over. That is if there are no laws in space . Even if there are laws about this here on Earth no country can actually establish ownership of space. So any property in space could be considered fair game since the rights to put it in a certain spot can’t be sold . Ownership is shaky at best since no one has authority to “police” space & no right to say what is a crime in space.[/QUOTE] I’m pretty sure what you’re saying is not true at all. There is still ownership of something like a ship or satellite, even if you send it into international water or space or the fifth dimension. And if you try to take over a satellite, expect the Men in Black to come knocking at your door.

As always, “I Am Not A Lawyer” applies and this is not legal advice.

I did think of a possible legal precedent for ownership of a certain amount of outer space by the Earth . The Earth might claim all space within it’s gravitational pull (probably up to what is legitimate gravitational pull .)
That being said some thousands of feet lower China or Russia will shoot or force down airplanes of other countries in their airspace without their permission . I think the USA would also do this .
They don’t do this with the US shuttles or other spacecraft or objects in outerspace. This somewhat supports my claim than no country owns outerspace. If there ever is a single Earth government then there would be a more legitimate claim. The international government is a joke at this time .As they really have no authority. Any enforcement they do is at the discretion of the country they want it done in.
I do agree if someone hacked a satellite some government agents would be showing up at the location of the hacker. I’m just not sure what laws they would use to arrest the hacker. Especially if the hack was done to a satellite over a country they were not located in.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2551851]Pirates are prepared to pay the cost for a satellite and for sending it into space, so that people can download free warez and pr0n?

Somehow I doubt it![/QUOTE]

“Space sat pirates” hack into sat orbiters and hijack them silently…

[QUOTE=cholla;2552131]I’m just not sure what laws they would use to arrest the hacker. Especially if the hack was done to a satellite over a country they were not located in.[/QUOTE]

Oh I’m very sure the MPAA/RIAA and the DA’s and I’m not talking about any District Attorneys either
when I say the DA’s that make up the laws in this World would come up with some kind of Kangaroo
Court Law that would allow them to arrest and prosecute the hacker for taking over a Satellite and be
able to fine them the replacment cost of the Satellite or life behind bars. :eek:

[QUOTE=getit29;2552216]Oh I’m very sure the MPAA/RIAA and the DA’s and I’m not talking about any District Attorneys either
when I say the DA’s that make up the laws in this World would come up with some kind of Kangaroo
Court Law that would allow them to arrest and prosecute the hacker for taking over a Satellite and be
able to fine them the replacment cost of the Satellite or life behind bars. :eek:[/QUOTE]
I’m sure you’re correct. I was just argueing the other side.

I think I’d wait a bit… the USA Space Shuttle still has a couple missions left in it… and we all know the extent to which the US government wants to sabotage anyone with a greater power than the USA-- be it piracy or anything else. Once it’s impractical for a physical sabotage by spaceman, you still have to worry about rockets destroying and/or jamming the satellite. Why not just create a deep sea server room and tie into those trans-oceanic fiber optic lines that span the globe? Once in the international waters, no government has the rights to stop you. Btw, you’d also need to generate your own geothermal power station to run the servers and submersables to service the equipment.

Probably such “stations” already exist, hidden from all our eyes and ears…

[QUOTE=chef;2552455]Probably such “stations” already exist, hidden from all our eyes and ears…[/QUOTE] Yes, but they are owned and operated by small green aliens from Alpha Centauri! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2552463]Yes, but they are owned and operated by small green aliens from Alpha Centauri! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Yes but we have individual holographic emitters that make us appear human.