In Southern California.What Media do I buy?

vbimport

The nearest stores to me are Frys Electronics, Micro Center, Best Buy and Office Depot. I have only seen Maxwell, Memorex, Phillips, TDK, Verbatim and HP at these stores. which of these are good brands? Tayo yuden and ricoh has been mentioned but I don’t know how to go about identifying these brands. Could someone tell me how to identify these brands?

Depends on what your burner is.

Overall, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell are good media. I’d prefer the first two.

You can get Taiyo Yuden 8x +Rs (MID: YUDEN000T02) under TDK, Sony, and Fujifilm brands as long as the box says Made in Japan.

Taiyo Yuden 8x -Rs (MID: TYG02) can be found in Fujifilm and TDK brands.

In most newer burners, YUDEN000T02 and TYG02 can be burn safely @16x.

Are you sure there exists MIJ TDK +R? I haven’t seen one though I agree if you see one, it should be TY.

From the brands he mentioned, at least I can confirm TDK 8x -R MIJ is TYG02. It has the typical (famous) TY cakebox, so it is easy to find. Even if one isn’t used to distinguish it, just read the label and see where it’s made. MIT spindle looks different. Once used to it, one doesn’t even have to read the label.

Also Bestbuy should sale Fuji ±R every other week (such as 50 discs / 20$). MIJ spindles are TY for both + and - formats.

The deal is that the name brands outsource to manufacturers to produce their discs for them. Taiyo Yuden is one of the manufacturers and you won’t find their name in stores in the US. However, one look at http://www.supermediastore.com should tell you that TY can be had under their own label for quite cheap in the US. :wink:

Yo-

Rima at www.rima.com is in your back yard and is an excellent vendor - especially for Ritek and Taiyo Yuden-

Also look at Newegg at www.newegg.com another excellent vendor and also the SuperMediaStore as mentioned above-

Mike