In need of advice

vbimport

Next month I intend on buying a Desk Top PC. All I have ever owned is laptops, so I would like some advice/info on the best Desk Tops available. This is what is most important to me. I need lots and lots of speed! I want as much RAM as possible. Id like to have an expansion bay to add HDD but I want to start with at least 160GB HDD pre-installed and add more via expansion. I want something that will be at least decent for gaming. I would like a nice size monitor (prefer LCD). Basically I want the best of everything…LOL. I would like to get the best possible m/board as well. If I’ve left anything out please feel free to inform me. I don’t really want to build this myself (as I am planning on re-building my Gateway Laptop during the same time) so Im mostly looking to buy the best Thing I can. I am hoping to spend no more than $2,800 to $3,000. Ideas, info, comments, and help would be great! Thanks a head of time.:bow:

What are you going to use it for?
//Danne

You can have Ibuypower.com build the system for you. Select a system with a quad core Q9450 cpu, ATI 4870 video card, and a monitor with 1920x1200 resolution.

[quote=DiiZzY;2092659]What are you going to use it for?
//Danne[/quote]

I am going to use it for college (online classes), some gaming, dvd burning, web browsing…pretty much everything. It’s going to be the main computer in the house. I’m going to try to completly rebuild the laptop so the desk top will be used for everything.

Using primarily mainstream components, housed in beautiful Lian Li cases and with your budget, I would have a look here :
http://www.velocitymicro.com/

with 3000 you can build yourself Ziggy these days. are you up for building your own or do you want to buy one that’s already built? if you build it yourself you can probably shave off a few hundred when going for top of the line components.

For “normal” use I’d call Fujitsu and ask if Esprimo P5925 is available and what it would cost. It’s mainly an “office” workstation but its a very solid computer with good components, you’ll need to add a separate video card if you want to game as it only comes with integrated graphics. I’ve had very good experience with Fujitsu (Siemens) office computers in general and they’re silent. http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/enterprisedesktops.shtml?products/desktops/esprimo/p_esprimo
A big plus is that they’re delivered with “Twinload” both XP and Vista. You can also find a datasheet on the same page. I dont see why you should shell out a lot on a computer for what you’re doing…
//Danne

[quote=DiiZzY;2092837]For “normal” use I’d call Fujitsu and ask if Esprimo P5925 is available and what it would cost. It’s mainly an “office” workstation but its a very solid computer with good components, you’ll need to add a separate video card if you want to game as it only comes with integrated graphics. I’ve had very good experience with Fujitsu (Siemens) office computers in general and they’re silent. http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/enterprisedesktops.shtml?products/desktops/esprimo/p_esprimo
A big plus is that they’re delivered with “Twinload” both XP and Vista. You can also find a datasheet on the same page. I dont see why you should shell out a lot on a computer for what you’re doing…
//Danne[/quote]

I took a look at the link in your post. I am considering some options from it. I also looked at a link provided a few posts above. Liked the look (visual design) of the PC’s there as well. I can see this is going to be a very difficult decision. I have untill the 20th of next month to decide on exactly what I want/need. My main concern is for a overall well rounded machine. I am interested in doing some media, gaming, and just the normal things as well, but I do want a good deal of speed. I’d like a DVD drive that reads/writes Blu Ray as well as standard DVD’s. Not concerned at all with CD’s (I use my iPods for music in home and car).

Forgot to add that VelocityMicro is based in Richmond, VA with B&M resellers Best Buy and Circuit City.
Site says that some VA and MD stores stock VelocityMicro.

[quote=jflan;2092898]Forgot to add that VelocityMicro is based in Richmond, VA with B&M resellers Best Buy and Circuit City.
Site says that some VA and MD stores stock VelocityMicro.[/quote]

L like the look of the PC’s they have. Very eye catching designs.

check out toms hardware for some good information, do not limit your reading to only the two articles ive linked. i know you said you dont want to build your own computer, however these systems will give you an idea of what to look for.

less than $2000

less than $4000

[quote=troy512;2092920]check out toms hardware for some good information, do not limit your reading to only the two articles ive linked. i know you said you dont want to build your own computer, however these systems will give you an idea of what to look for.

less than $2000

less than $4000[/quote]

I need to clairify the “building” thing. I meant I don’t want to put it all together myself…meaning physically build it myself. I am fully open to building one from selcting the componets. I just don’t have the time to build a desk top at the same time as I am re-building my laptop (which Id like to do physically…and will be needing some ideas on as well). Hope that helps everyone to understand what I meant when I said “build” sorry for the mix up.

any updates?

Right now I am doing my “homework” on all the suggestions I’ve been given. I will probably not decide untill a few days before I am ready to buy the desk top. On a side note, I am intending to totally rebuild my laptop at the same time as getting the desk top. troy I’ll be aking you many questions when it’s time to do that job:iagree:. I haven’t ever rebuilt a PC or laptop (I have only done game console break downs to clean them and some console mods…minor ones) so I am a real nOOb on this one. If anyone comes across any other info they’d like to share about the desk top please do post it. As always thank all of you for your help and info.

if you’re not against buying components and assembling them here is a pretty good start:

Case $50
750gb hdd $120
24" LCD $440
PSU $120-$20mir
4gb memory $80
HSF $50-$10mir
bluray burner $270+free media
video card $285+free game
Mobo $135+free 2gb flash drive
CPU $330+free game

total comes out just under $1900 so add in the OS of your choice and any other extras you want and you’re good to go

[quote=jwill427;2106062]if you’re not against buying components and assembling them here is a pretty good start:

Case $50
750gb hdd $120
24" LCD $440
PSU $120-$20mir
4gb memory $80
HSF $50-$10mir
bluray burner $270+free media
video card $285+free game
Mobo $135+free 2gb flash drive
CPU $330+free game

total comes out just under $1900 so add in the OS of your choice and any other extras you want and you’re good to go[/quote]

So this is about a mid-range system then. Looks good! I’m loving the Blu Ray burner. Video card looks great. Monitor works too. I’m thinking of maybe going with a different case though. I’d like something with room for two large HDDs’ and maybe some LED lights too. Any suggestions there? I couldn’t find any info about firewire support either. Would this system support firewire? The Mobo looks good too and it says that it can support up to 16GB of memory, so this means I can add to it then right? Maybe I should grab two sets of the Gskill cards. The memory cards are great deal and the specs indicate that they are perfromers too! What about sound cards? Should I need to add some sound cards? That giant fan looks good too, and I bet it will help cool my house as well…lol. Aside from a different case, is all this hardware compatible? I’m really looking at this as being my build. Thanks for this list jwill427. I’m liking everything but the case. Any ideas fir a more eye catching case would be great.

Or just watch for a dell quad core deal with a 22" lcd for $599, add memory for another $80.00, and a good video card for $175, and for around $900.00, have a real kick butt system… Take the other $900.00 you were going to send on a more expensive system, and upgrade to a 32" High Def monitor, and have the ultimate setup…

I’d say thats more of a mid-high range rig (closer to high than mid IMO ;))
the motherboard does have built in firewire and these days the onboard sound is pretty darn good, so IMO a dedicated sound card is a waste of money unless you are a super audiophile. you could definitely go for 8gb of ram but that means you will have to use a 64bit OS, which isn’t a bad thing, I’m using 64bit vista right now and I’m seriously considering deleting my xp install

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for in a case, but here are a few solid suggestions

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+50002120+1054808287&name=NZXT&Order=PRICE
I’ve never used NZXT cases, but I hear they are well built

you could also check out thermaltake cases, but IMO they are overpriced, I have a Tsunami and love the looks but its not very easy to work in and IMO the build quality just isn’t up to the $110 price tag
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007%2050001379%201054808287&bop=And&Order=PRICE

[quote=jwill427;2106429]I’d say thats more of a mid-high range rig (closer to high than mid IMO ;))
the motherboard does have built in firewire and these days the onboard sound is pretty darn good, so IMO a dedicated sound card is a waste of money unless you are a super audiophile. you could definitely go for 8gb of ram but that means you will have to use a 64bit OS, which isn’t a bad thing, I’m using 64bit vista right now and I’m seriously considering deleting my xp install

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for in a case, but here are a few solid suggestions

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+50002120+1054808287&name=NZXT&Order=PRICE
I’ve never used NZXT cases, but I hear they are well built

you could also check out thermaltake cases, but IMO they are overpriced, I have a Tsunami and love the looks but its not very easy to work in and IMO the build quality just isn’t up to the $110 price tag
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007%2050001379%201054808287&bop=And&Order=PRICE[/quote]

Well I have to say that over all this looks like it’ll be fantastic. Should be some what future proof too…which is good. Here’s the case I’m thinking of Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail so with this case and all the components you have listed this should still end up around my budget area. So, if I run all 8GB of memory then I’d have to go with Vista? I thought there was a 64 bit XP as well. I was wondering what all OSs’ would work. Like if I wanted could I run OS X or Linux as well as windows (partioned on the HDD of course)? I was wondering what brand of HDD you like? I like Seagate, Samsung, and Western Digital. I was thinking I should go with around 500GB for the first HDD and about a 1TB for the secondary. What do you think? I’m going to be doing lots of media and I want to use the desk top as a server for my Playstation 3 (streaming the media to the PS3) so what are my wireless needs for that? I mean do I need a wireless card as well? Is there anything else I need for this to be a complete machine? If I wanted to do a crossfire would this rig allow me to do so (not saying I will but ya never know). I’m guessing that everything will work well together and I’m very impressed with this rig. I know I’m killing you with questions…sorry. :bow:

if you wanted you could have partitions and boot every OS… xp, vista, linux, and OSx (although I’m pretty sure installing OSx on non mac hardware is against the mac EULA so we can’t really discuss it here, but google is your friend ;)) for linux I’m partial to SuSe 64bit, its really easy to install and use and has tons of features and software included. seagate samsung and WD all make good drives, but I think your best bet for GB/$ would be 2 750gb instead of 1 500gb and 1 1tb. you will be able to run crossfire, and the mobo supports crossfireX so when ATI comes out with a 4870 x2 (or 4850x2) you could get that for 3 way crossfire :cool: for wireless you’ll just want to get a wireless router then use one of the wired ports for the desktop and set up file sharing through windows. the only other things I can think of to complete you rig would be a good set of speakers if you don’t already have some, and maybe a regular dvd burner so you’re not putting wear and tear on the $300 bluray burner when you’re just burning cds and dvds or reading/ripping etc