Improving time recording and time reading

vbimport

hello,

i was surprised i did not see this posted anywhere so i figured i would post this. When i was using ClonDVD/AnyDVD i was having very slow times reading and recording- longer to record than actual play time.

I saw a very dramatic increase in both read and write times when i enabled DMA on both read and write drives, and also upgraded my IDE cables from the old 40 cable IDE calbes to the newer 80 cable ATA 133 ones.

just a suggestion for olli, but maybe put this on a troubleshooting section for clonedvd somewhere in help information in program.

Originally posted by macrovisionsux
[B]hello,

i was surprised i did not see this posted anywhere so i figured i would post this. When i was using ClonDVD/AnyDVD i was having very slow times reading and recording- longer to record than actual play time.

I saw a very dramatic increase in both read and write times when i enabled DMA on both read and write drives, and also upgraded my IDE cables from the old 40 cable IDE calbes to the newer 80 cable ATA 133 ones.

just a suggestion for olli, but maybe put this on a troubleshooting section for clonedvd somewhere in help information in program. [/B]

Do not connect the Writer on the same IDE cable with anything you read from.
This should solve this problem.

hey olli- :bow:
thanks for the reply.

But what if i have 4 devices? 1 hard drive, 1 cd burner, 1 dvd reader and 1 dvd writer. then what would you suggest on the same cables?

Originally posted by macrovisionsux
[B]hey olli- :bow:
thanks for the reply.

But what if i have 4 devices? 1 hard drive, 1 cd burner, 1 dvd reader and 1 dvd writer. then what would you suggest on the same cables? [/B]

I would suggest to put DVD Reader and DVD Writer on the same cable, as you usually never read from the DVD-ROM and write on the DVD Burner directly.

As you usually buffer always on harddisk, reading from DVD->Harddisk uses 2 seperate cables, and writing Harddisk->DVDWriter does as well.

ok- im not quite understanding what you are saying you then- sorry. lol. :bigsmile:

just to clarify -so you are saying which is better in your opinion…

A) Cable 1… Master = Hard Drive, Slave = DVD reader
Cable 2… Master = DVD writer, slave = CD Writer

OR…

B) Cable 1… Master = Hard drive, Slave = CD writer
Cable 2… Master = DVD writer, Slave DVD reader

currently i have option B.

But also just from enabling the DMA, and upgrading the IDE cables, i have really improved the time. i am right now at about 40 min to read 2 1/2 hour movie with 16X DVD reader. Does that sound like about the right amout of time?

I would go for option B.)

As you already have it this way, the problem might be caused by something completely different.

The read time can be related to the drive you use for reading. A lot of drives read CSS protected discs only very slow (Toshiba), some very fast (Pioneer).
Your time seems normal, if you have a slow CSS reader.

You can try to use your writer for reading, it may be faster.

ok cool-

yes my reader is a toshiba SDM1502 also, so that explains it.
thanks alot for your help. :smiley:

oh ya–

1 last thing i wanted to say about improving time-- i cut down another 10-14 minutes off of my read time by switching to the neo/dangerous brothers hacked firmware for my toshiba drive.

http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

i highly reccomend it for toshiba drives- it runs much faster now. many thanks to everyone involved with that.

makes you wonder why toshiba didnt do this themselves…
:confused:

was surprised i did not see this posted anywhere

Of course it’s posted :slight_smile: you can find it on the lite-on section, a sticky thread…

makes you wonder why toshiba didnt do this themselves…

Maybe because that fw makes your drive region free???

yes, but i was referring to the speed increase gained from it- not the region free part of it.