Improved movie resolution of DVD copy?

Using the CD Freaks tutorials on AnyDVD and CloneDVD, I managed to make a back up copy of Kingdon of Heaven DVD (thx Mad Bob).
However, it is a big movie and in order to fit onto DVD5, the quality was reduced to 58%. DVD backup looks fine on pc screen, but to view on big screen tv it becomes obvious that some image quality has been lost. It’s difficult to say as I can’t run them side by side for comparison, but it looks as if backup has poorer contrast resolution on dark / light images.

Can anyone suggest good ways of improving image resultion in this kind of situation? (I’m new to this, so newbie-level use of jargon appreciated :smiley: )

Thanks!

If you really concern that much about quality of your burnt Video DVD then the best way to preserve the quality to burn the original disk on one to one bases that means burn the disc into Double Layer disc that way the quality remains the same as the original one.

Or split it between two DvD 5’s. But who wants to get up off the couch part way through the movie to change disk’s.

:cool: :cool:

Have you tried to backup just the movie and necessary sould track. Leaving out all the extras can make a big difference. I’ve seen DVDs that have up to four different 5 gig movies of the same movie just different angles or alternant endings. That takes a lot of compression. I use DVD Shrink with deep analysis and adaptive error compensation on smooth for anything with more than about 70% compression. It takes a bit longer but can make quite a difference IMO.

Hi, thanks for comments.

I was trying to avoid splitting onto 2 DVDs due to extreme laziness :slight_smile:
But will try the dual layer DVD approach.

Wobble - I already split off the extras and am just making a backup of movie plus audio. It is a big movie with a lot of cinematograpgy that suffers from loss of resolution (plus I am picky). I’ll try your DVD shrink suggestions and experiment a bit.

Yo-

Also - the media that you back up onto has a lot to do with the final quality-

I use only Ricoh 4x +R - R01; Taiyo Yuden 8x +R T02 and Verbatim 16x +R MCC004 and my 7 - 8 gb movies come out great compressed to one disc - and played on my Hitachi 57" Ultravision HDTV using a Panasonic s77 upconverting DVD player-eh!

I like DVD rebiulder with CCE encoder. Especially when you are compressing more than say 90%. U could just extract the mpeg use CCE Encoder and use AviSynth and write a script. But that is a real pain in the ass, and I hate dealing with avisynth scripts. Here are a few guides that will help with using rebuilder +cce encoder:

High Quality DVD-9 Backups With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic
DVD Rebuilder Advanced Techniques
doom9 DVD Rebuilder guide

Encoding with CCE will take a lot longer than with DVD Shrink. But if your goal is quality, not speed, then I think that you should use this method.

Mike - Nice of you to translate into Canadian, eh!
I used Sony DVD +R at 8x and am also playing on a HDTV - Samsung 47".
I burned the features / commentary on a separate DVD and they were much less compressed, and gave better resolution when viewed. I think I’ll be switiching to Verbatim in future following many of the forum comments.

Thanks for links CBMC - I have lots more reading and new language to learn now :slight_smile: The ideas are very welcome.

To Big Mike: with all due respect i dont think type of media has anything to do with final quality. if it is say 4.7 gig then regardless the type the movie will look all the same. Though excessive number of PIE and PIF may lead to stuttering in case of poor media.
Also the life span of such is usually shorter.

Yo-

With the very different quality of materials used in cheap DVD media vs quality DVD media - it would stand to reason that the quality of the output would be very much affected by the media-

I very much notice that the colors on the 4x Ricoh +R - R01’s; Taiyo Yuden 8x +R - T02’s and Verbatim 16x +R MCC004’s are much richer than on the original pressed discs-eh!

S’up. So what defines colour on a copy, huh?

Huumm…let me guess…the level of compression and method of encoding / transcoding used… ?? :wink:
Now, gamut mapping and colour space compression is stuff that I understand much better. Do the different systems available handle the colour compression differently? Or, is the colour image and grey scale quality of a copy more directly related to level of compression?

Yo-

Have also done Quality Scan comparisons of original pressed movie disc and burned backup disc - and the backup always has far fewer PIE and PIF’s than the original - meaning that the quality of the read/rip and the burn are not merely reproducing the original disc-eh!