ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 problems

vbimport

I’m having problems with this version making coasters on my Pioneer DVR-108 and ANY media. Most often used lately is:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.20 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,295,104
Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

It will burn 3 or 4 discs with no problem then hang about 75%-80% finished. No error code most of the time - it just sits there. Sometimes it does give an error stating something about device error with a long string of numbers xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx etc…

Using NERO or UltraISO I can burn 30 in a row with no coasters ever. With ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 I have to shut down and reboot.

Any ideas?

I do not have that drive but I can say this program has never failed me in any way. It is by far the best freeware proggy on the internet. I save all my files in .iso format on a separate HD and it burns them with absolutely no problems. I have used Benq DW1620, 1640, LG H42N, LG 2166 USB, Plextor 760A IDE and none have any issues, have you tried another drive, maybe the Pioneer has an issue. Just a guess.:confused:

I’m fairly sure the drive has no issuse. This is the only burning software that has produced a coaster on this drive. I just ordered a Pioneer DVR-112 to replace it with anyway. I can only surmize that it’s ImgBurn since I can’t reproduce the problem using NERO. NERO has it’s quirky issues, but it has never made a coaster for me. I’m about to start burning some DL media, so I was getting familiar with this software since I heard it was the best for DL.

Now I’m concerned about trashing my DL media. I guess I will just reboot my computer before and after each burn made by ImgBurn, but I was hoping to avoid that PITA.

ImgBurn defaults to using DAO as the write type, Nero might use Incremental - depending on your settings.

Perhaps that drive prefers the latter?

You can change ImgBurn to use Incremental in the settings.

In any case, if anything is producing unreadable discs, it’s the drive. The software has no control over the burn quality, it simply sends the data to the drive. If an I/O command gets stuck, blame the drivers or the drive that’s supposed to be processing it. It should be a simple case of ‘Nope, I don’t like that’ or ‘Ok, I’ll process that’ - where the ‘Arrrggh I don’t understand, I’ll just hang’ came from, I’ve no idea. ImgBurn will always wait until it’s had a ‘success / failure’ reported back. If it doesn’t get one straight away, it just continues waiting until it does.

Don’t worry about rebooting, closing everything down etc. I never do. Use your PC as you would do at any other time - browse the internet, write documents, it’s all fine!
Just don’t do daft things like defragging your hdd whilst trying to burn an image from it or play the latest 3D games that keep your CPU at 100% all the time.

Thanks LIGHTNING UK!
This explanation even a noob like me can understand. :clap: :bow:

Thanks for your help. I really have no idea what caused the problem but it’s behaviour was the same for both a Pioneer DVR-108 and my new DVR-112L drive.

Then suddenly… It started working consistantly for the past several burns on either drive.

I do have NERO 7 installed and it does have some issues but not burning. I removed NERO, cleaned the registry, and reinstalled NERO. So far ImgBurn has produced no frisbies after the cleanup… Perhaps it had something to do with NERO. I’ll check and see if my NERO settings are DAO or TAO. Is TAO the same thing as Incremental? If it is, and the problem pops it’s ugly head up again, I’ll try changing the ImgBurn setting to Incremental. Perhaps Pioneers like that better. Thanks…

@LIGHTNING UK!
Thanks for your explanations.

I hope this is not off thread here, but I want to update a previous post of mine.
I ran into a problem with ImgBurn 2.2 and my LH-20A1P before, where the program hung during the lead-in(took 20 minutes before I could get the program to abort the burn.)

FWIW, I have now burned discs using ImgBurn v.2.2 and my Lite-On LH-20A1P 487C successfully.
I don’t believe the problem was the media. :disagree:

What I did differently was to use ImgBurn’s built-in Bitsetting feature, instead of relying on Lite-On’s Bitsetting Tool(which I thought was sufficient for any burning application–this shows my inexperience, I guess.)
Once I used ImgBurn’s Book Type feature, writing the leadin proceeded normally. Apparently using Lite-On’s book type utility alone is not sufficient for my LH-20A1P to bit set to DVD-ROM.
Although I still don’t understand why ImgBurn simply didn’t Book Type to DVD+R by default, instead of hanging? Or is there a conflict between the Lite-On tool setting and ImgBurn’s bitsetting feature? :confused:
I think I’ve never had a problem with the LG H12N UJ12 because it auto-bitsets, host software has no affect on bitsetting.

Sorry, if this was the wrong place for this post. :flower:

The things you’re talking about are controlled by the drive, ImgBurn has no say in the matter of how long the LeadIn takes to burn or how long the LeadOut (Sync Cache, Close Track/Session/Disc) stuff takes.

The bitsetting features on the drives are something you set as a flag (via a command), the drive should then check that flag when it gets to the stage that it either bitsets or it doesn’t. Again, this isn’t a procedure ImgBurn does.

If the drive reports it should be bitsetting to DVDROM on DVD+R media, that’s what it should do. If it doesn’t, it probably means the setting is wrong (and being mis-reported) or there was some issue carrying out the operation - i.e. bad media it couldn’t write to.

Is TAO the same thing as Incremental? If it is, and the problem pops it’s ugly head up again, I’ll try changing the ImgBurn setting to Incremental. Perhaps Pioneers like that better. Thanks…

No, it’s not.

TAO doesn’t apply to DVDs anyway, just DAO and Incremental/Packet.

Could you tell me what the difference is. I know how DAO works, but how would Incremental effect a Video DVD? Is the final burned format the same?

Thanks again, LIGHTNING UK! :slight_smile:

I guess what you are saying then is that Lite-On’s Bitsetting Utility incorrectly set the flag on the LH-20A1P, ImgBurn wasn’t involved in setting the flag on the two discs which coastered. But when I used ImgBurn’s Booktyping feature, it set the flag correctly and the drive completed the lead-in. :clap:
So why didn’t ImgBurn check the flag that the Lite-On Utility set before starting the burn?
I have burned about 15 discs from this spindle of Verbatim MCC004 with the LH-20A1P without any issue and good media test results. So, I still do not think the two discs were bad–I don’t believe the media was the source of this isssue.
At present the problem is solved. I use ImgBurn’s Booktype feature before burning and no issues occur on media from this spindle.
Thanks again for a great program. :bow:

So why didn’t ImgBurn check the flag that the Lite-On Utility set before starting the burn?

Why would / should it?

Bitsetting is an option you configure on the drive, not in the software.

Once the drive is configured to bitset media to DVDROM or whatever, it does it (should do it!) without software having to do anything.

For almost every drive (the exceptions being LG and Samsung), bitsetting is a ‘set once and forget about it’ feature.