IMDb

vbimport

Did you know that IMDb collects all kinds of data from you when you visit their site? One day, I accidently stumbled into MY page of statistics and data. I never knew they collected all that. They never asked nor told that they are doing it. To make it worse, when I wrote to complain about it, their e-mail addy is bogus! It bounced. Since then, I quit using IMDb; too intrusive. Beware.

:bigsmile:

Could you explain how & where you found MY page of statistics ?
I would like to take a look at mine .
I’m not registered at IMDB so that may be why I didn’t find a MY page of statistics .

IMDB keeps changing their UIs, so it’s tricky to find - or maybe can’t be found. I looked under HELP and at the bottom of the page, I could a current SEARCH, which was a cookie stored on this machine. But when I exit my browser, it deletes my history, and then Disk Cleanups take care of the rest.

That IMDB tracks visitors doesn’t surprise me. Every website does, probably. I’d be shocked if websites - especially free ones - don’t track with some notion of selling the info or gaining some monetary cost-offset.

That some websites make this clear, while others don’t acknowledge it, shouldn’t delude us from knowing we’re all tracked, all the time, on every website.

I think Christine’s right you can safely assume that all websites monitor your activity as is the same with supermarkets, credit card companies, etc. in the offline world.

It’s a fact of life nowadways. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I never signed up with IMDb (as far as I recall). It’s been well over a year, and I haven’t been back there but about twice since. I don’t remember if it was by name or ISP # or what, but I knew by the searches that it pertained directly to ME (and no one else). I don’t remember where I found it, but I clicked something and there it was. I didn’t like that and told them so, only to have it returned.

:frowning:

If you weren’t logged in then it’s probably a tracking cookie on your PC.

Loads of sites use these though, hence the targeted advertising you often see on webpages.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Looked like a normal web page to me, just had all my searches on it. Aren’t cookies just plain text?

:confused:

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2712884]Looked like a normal web page to me, just had all my searches on it. Aren’t cookies just plain text?

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes they are just text files but they can record what pages you’ve visited.

This is why a lot of malware removal software also removes tracking cookies, basically for privacy reasons.

[B]Wombler[/B]

What I found was not a plain text file, it was an html page. If it were plain text, I would definitely remember that.

Yeah, I run c-cleaner every week which removes all cookies. Kind of sucks because I have to log back into my e-mail, this site, etc. whenever I run it.

It’s been over a year since I spent any real time at IMDb.

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2712931]Yeah, I run c-cleaner every week which removes all cookies. Kind of sucks because I have to log back into my e-mail, this site, etc. whenever I run it.[/QUOTE] You can setup CCleaner to keep some of your cookies while cleaning the rest. (Options => Cookies)

Good idea. I’ll do that. Thanks!

:bigsmile: