Imation Professional Very Unprofessional

vbimport

G’day all,

Today I bought some Imation Professional Grade CD-R’s to try out.

They’re manufactuered by CMC Magnetics Corporation (97:26:66) and have a very unusual serial number on the central plastic hub that is printed horizontally instead of curving with the shape of the disc as normal.

DON’T BUY THESE! In my tests, the average C1 count is over 10 and max C1 is 60. To be fair to these discs though, there were no C2’s recorded. Still far from professional grade though!

CMC is said to be the abbreviation of “cheaply made crap”…

I just posted another sorry example of CMC media over at CDRLabs last night:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=71074#71074

Terminalvelocd, would you mind reading the discussion regarding CMC and Verbatim DataLifePlus discs that took place a few posts earlier in that thread? I believe you once stated that CMC makes the DLP variants as well, and I was wondering if you had any comments to add.

cfitz

hmmm…interesting stuff.

CMC does make DLP media. All DLPs that are made in Taiwan are made at CMC’s MCC plant using Mitsubishi dyes and processes. Personally I’m not a fan of Taiwan-made DLPs. Very erratic and the error rates I get from fresh burns aren’t anything to jump up and down and scream about.

Stick to TY cyanine and RiTEK phthalocyanine. They’re the best discs you’ll find.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
CMC does make DLP media. All DLPs that are made in Taiwan are made at CMC’s MCC plant using Mitsubishi dyes and processes.
Thanks terminalvelocd. Can you reveal the source of your knowledge?

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
Stick to TY cyanine and RiTEK phthalocyanine. They’re the best discs you’ll find.
Those are my two favorites as well.

cfitz

I don’t work for any media manufacturer, however, in the past, I have known a person who has worked for RiTEK in Taiwan, and he told me about this. He also told me about the situation with RiTEK and Ricoh working together.

I’m not always a supporter of any particular manufactuer of discs, although in my personal tests, I’ve seen the best results come from RiTEK’s phthalocyanine (JS-type/RiTEK-TG) and Taiyo Yuden’s Super Cyanine dyes.

Hope that helps!

Yes, it helped. I was wondering if you had an inside source.
Thanks for the info and taking time to respond.

cfitz