IMATION cd's and others?

vbimport

Hi!
Could anyone tell me if the Imation Cd-r’s are good for writing music, especially? I keep hearing that they are fantastic and reviews seem to support that…
Also, any other blank cd-r’s you would recommend for music?
Thanks.

Hi!

Imation was once called 3M, by the way.

Music or data doesn’t make much difference. The only reason some CD-Rs come with the label Music on them is simply that a ROYALTY is paid to record companies for those discs. There is also a marker on them that lets you use them on consumer CD-R audio recorders. Those stand-alone recorders won’t record to standard data CD-Rs because the mark is missing. Other than that, the discs themselves are identical to data discs.

A good data disc is a good audio disc and vice versa.

In fact Imation doesn’t manufacture CD-Rs–they have them manufactured with their name on them. I believe their favorite source is CMC Magnetics which is considered the WORST in terms of quality and consistency. Of the various brands I’ve used Imation by CMC has been the worst. Years ago they had Tayio Yuden make their discs–and I have some of those. Those were super quality. These days it seems they are all CMC. I bought two 50 disc color spindles a couple years ago and every 3rd disc had unreadable sectors near the end.

Also, some drives like certain brands/formulas more than others. I’ve been pleased with Sony and Maxell CD-R’s. Ritek makes many good discs. But Tayio Yuden is usually the best. It’s hard to know who makes the discs unless you buy online and you are told who manufactures it. But you can always test your discs with Nero tools–CD-SPEED and see if the quality is high.

Hope this answeres your question,
Tek.

Originally posted by Silly Lily

Could anyone tell me if the Imation Cd-r’s are good for writing music, especially?
I keep hearing that they are fantastic and reviews seem to support that…
Also, any other blank cd-r’s you would recommend for music?

Imation are CMC.

Disc Type = CDR (A+)
Lead In = 97:26:66
Lead Out = 79:59:71
Nominal = 702.82MB (79m 59s 71f/LBA:359846)
Manufacturer = CMC Magnetics Corporation
Cur. Speed = Wrt(52X),Rd(12X)

So you did hear wrong. The best for everything are [COLOR=blue]Taiyo Yuden.[/COLOR]

Well not always–Taiyo Yudens are great but once in a while they don’t do perfectly–just look at some of the DVD-R scans on the boards. Ritek makes some great discs sometimes. I got a bunch of PNY CD-Rs made by Ritek and they were really perfect. I also have some Sony color CDRs and they are also very good. Verbatim also does great. The only trouble with some of these companies is that they are not always so consistent and with the brand names you don’t always know who made them. I have some Imations from about 3 years ago that were made by Taiyo Yuden for example…

Sorry, I did get what you said, BoSkin, but last time my thread only received one reply: yours. No disrespect, thought i could try again, if you don’t mind, that is.

TekWiz, many thanks for your help. I shall keep it in mind.

Originally posted by

Taiyo Yudens are great but once in a while they don’t do perfectly–just look at some of the DVD-R scans on the boards.

Ritek makes some great discs sometimes. I got a bunch of PNY CD-Rs made by Ritek and they were really perfect.
TekWiz,

Just look @CD-RW Media Tests, of which I’m talking about.

As for Ritek, they are my [COLOR=blue]2nd favorite
and I guess I’ve always been the one who has been defending RiTEK passionately and selflessly.
So, I don’t really feel like repeating the same old thing over and over again.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by BoSkin

As for Ritek, they are my 2nd favorite
No wonder why :

Yamaha F1E 1.0g 700MB Audio

Disc Type = CDR (A-)
Lead In = 97:15:17
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Nominal = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f/LBA:359848)
Manufacturer = RiTEK Corporation
Cur. Speed = Wrt(48X),Rd(52X)

Sold as Fuji Audio 30pk
SW - Feurio!® 1.67

But there are sometimes some CMC discs that do great. Quality control and consistency are what’s most important. If you buy a bunch of discs and you can’t rely on them all being 100% then what’s the point?

Other than that, I have a stack of YMT (Prodisc Technology) discs–got them at ShopRite. No label at all–just shiny silver on both sides. And they scan really clean. The wierd thing is that when I open the spindle there’s a strange unpleasant smell…

Tek.