Imation 52x CD-R

vbimport

Has somebody experience with Imation 52x CD-R? According to Nero CD-DVD speed it’s manufactured by Moser Baer. I often get unreadable CD’s when using them :a

NEC ND-4571A
Plextor PX-W4824A

What speed you burning at? Give 16x a try with the NEW that should give you very good results.

[QUOTE=eyeman;2188688]Has somebody experience with Imation 52x CD-R? According to Nero CD-DVD speed it’s manufactured by Moser Baer. I often get unreadable CD’s when using them :a

NEC ND-4571A
Plextor PX-W4824A[/QUOTE]

Imation could be anything. Over the past couple of years, Imation 52x CD-Rs have been made by CMC, Ritek, Moser Baer and Daxon. And I have seen both good results and bad results from each of them.

I’ve had probably every brand Imation has been under, CMC, Ritek, Moser Baer, and Daxon! I’d prefer the Moser Baer ones to the Daxon ones which peeled on me!

I’ve had Prodisc, CMC and Moser Baer. For me the CMC were better.

I miss the days when Imation CD-Rs was actually good stuff made by TY…but after they changed i had a few bad discs and never bought again…

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2188793]What speed you burning at? Give 16x a try with the NEW that should give you very good results.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion, haven’t try 16 so far. But 32 or 24 did not seem to give any improvement.

One more question: which one of the last generation DVD-writers (SATA) can burn CD and especially CD-RW with good quality? The CD player in my car can read everything, but at my work I have to use a crappy one that gives me regularly “TOC errors”.

Optiarc AD-7200S/7201S/7203s are good CD writers, as well as the Samsung SH-S203 series. Those drives are some of the best DVD writers too so they’re well worth it.

[QUOTE=evo69;2189113]Optiarc AD-7200S/7201S/7203s are good CD writers, as well as the Samsung SH-S203 series. Those drives are some of the best DVD writers too so they’re well worth it.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :iagree:

The Samsung SH-S202/3 series are superb CD writers. The Optiarc AD-7200 series are also very good, but I would rate my Samsung as being slightly better than my Optiarc.

Just don’t buy an AD-7220 (rebadged Lite-On) or a Samsung SH-S222/3 (see the CDFreaks review ;)) by mistake.

I am surprised that you are having problems with (Imation) Moser Baer CDs. While they are not the finest CDs available I have always found their quality to be very consistent, much more so than any other budget CDs. I wonder if you have a substandard batch, or maybe something else is causing the problems? Can you give us any more details?

[QUOTE=Ibex;Can you give us any more details?[/QUOTE]

Quality like that, and that’s still readable:clap:

[QUOTE=eyeman;2189305]Quality like that, and that’s still readable:clap:[/QUOTE]No C1 reported (no C1 while reading a disc = impossible), and reported C2 levels that would make the disc unreadable if they were for real? :confused:

My point is, this scan is entirely irrelevant and simply makes no sense at all.

Is this Plextor drive a “real” Plextor? If so, you simply should’nt use it with CDSpeed even if you used the reg trick to force the function. You should use ONLY Plextools.

EDIT Please post a scan in the NEC drive. :slight_smile:

[quote=eyeman;2189305]Quality like that, and that’s still readable:clap:[/quote] [quote=Francksoy;2189312]No C1 reported (no C1 while reading a disc = impossible), and reported C2 levels that would make the disc unreadable if they were for real? :confused:

My point is, this scan is entirely irrelevant and simply makes no sense at all.

Is this Plextor drive a “real” Plextor? If so, you simply should’nt use it with CDSpeed even if you used the reg trick to force the function. You should use ONLY Plextools.[/quote] That Plextor drive is not supported by CDSpeed and will return meaningless results.
I’m faily sure it will also fail to perform C1/C2 scans with PlexTools - only Plextor PlexWriter Premium/Premium2 and PX-760/755/716/714/712 (and possibly 708) will perform C1/C2 scans with PlexTools AFAIK.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2189312]Is this Plextor drive a “real” Plextor?[/QUOTE]

I get an “Error initializing test” when using the NEC drive to scan :frowning:

Still, the CD plays fine in both drives.

How do I know if certain Plextor drive is a “real Plextor”?

The 48x24x48x is a real plextor as far as i remember.

[QUOTE=eyeman;2189361]I get an “Error initializing test” when using the NEC drive to scan :-([/quote]Oh… :frowning: strange thing. Most NEC drives are OK to scan CDs…

Thus, from what I gather reading vroom’s and dragemester’s posts, you’re currently stuck with no possiblity to scan CDs with your drives! :doh:

I’m pretty sure you can work things out with the 4571A and get it to scan CDs, but I have no good idea right now (maybe increading the spin up time…? :confused: ). Maybe you’ll have more luck asking in the NEC/Optiarc forum. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, you should disregard entirely the scans you’ve performed with your Plextor drive. Doesn’t mean that the discs are good, though.

EDIT maybe you can already post transfer rate tests performed in both drives?

The Imation 52x CD-R’s i have i bought from Staples a year or two ago are all CMC MAG. I got 100 of them for $1 usd a 10pk in regular jewel cases. 10-10pks for $10 usd free shipping. They only seem to burn decent at 8x with my Plex Premiums I and II. I’ve never burned them with my Yamaha CRW-F1 or any of my DVD burners though. I was not expecting much. I figured if they didn’t burn very good i could just use the regular jewel cases and toss the discs in the trash or shredder.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2189424]Oh… :frowning: strange thing. Most NEC drives are OK to scan CDs…[/QUOTE]

Maybe upgrade to CDSpeed 4.7.7.16? :doh:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip

[QUOTE=negritude;2189979]Maybe upgrade to CDSpeed 4.7.7.16? :doh:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip[/QUOTE]

:iagree: CD Speed v4.51 is about 3 years old now so using a newer version would be advisable.

Even so that version should still work with an ND-4571A, it was the version I used after I bought an ND-4571A nearly 3 years ago. That said I never had much confidence in the NEC’s CD scans; they often showed what I suspected were phantom C2 spikes and both the C1 & C2 results varied enormously at different speeds (much more so than any drive I have used since).

People may be surprised, but I’m still using mostly 4.51 :p, except when I need Advanced Quality Scan for CDRs (Benq/Nexperia only). In this case I use 4.7.2.

The main reason is, several bugs have been introduced with further versions of CDSpeed (after 4.51 I mean). What really bugged me was the wrong calculation of averages when performing quick scans, which I use a lot for stability checking. After 4 consecutive CDSpeed versions that still had the same bug, I lost patience and stopped trying every new version, as 4.51 and 4.7.2 did everything I need.

I think 4.51 is not the culprit, but yes, it doesn’t hurt trying. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2190013]That said I never had much confidence in the NEC’s CD scans[/QUOTE]I don’t know for the 4570 line, but the 3540 and 4550 are OK for CD scans in my experience, no “phantom” errors. As for the differences between scanning speeds, I consider it as normal behaviour, it reflects the NEC drive’s lesser reading performance when compared to better readers. I think it’s rather useful actually! :slight_smile: (but my favorite are Benq/Nexperia Advanced Scans).

Anyway, I was asking for NEC scans as even with peculiarities, they would have been more meaningful than Plextor scans like the one above… :wink: