Images of copy-protected games - nothing works for me!

I have a Dell netbook and would like to be able to play my CD games without my clunky external optical drive, so I have been trying to rip the game discs to ISO or other format that I can keep on my mem card (mount with MagicDisc). I have scoured for weeks online, using clonecd, MagicISO and DiscDump, to no avail.

I am currently trying to get Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance (SafeDisk v1?) to work, I have other newer games I have not tried yet.

I’d like to avoid using any new software, is there something I am missing with MagicISO that is making the copy protection stick around?

The problem I had with DiscDump was no CD drive showing up, no matter which ASPI layer was present.

Please help!

[QUOTE=vatoemperor;2271045]I have a Dell netbook and would like to be able to play my CD games without my clunky external optical drive, so I have been trying to rip the game discs to ISO or other format that I can keep on my mem card (mount with MagicDisc). I have scoured for weeks online, using clonecd, MagicISO and DiscDump, to no avail.

I am currently trying to get Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance (SafeDisk v1?) to work, I have other newer games I have not tried yet.

I’d like to avoid using any new software, is there something I am missing with MagicISO that is making the copy protection stick around?

The problem I had with DiscDump was no CD drive showing up, no matter which ASPI layer was present.

Please help![/QUOTE]

You ran into one of those snags of computer games they are so protected by software and data protected there is no real solution your looking for the best you can do is to do a virtual disc of the game itself on your HDD so as to make the software think the game disc is in the drive. That is your only solution at this point.

I thought thats what I was doing…creating a disc image on the HDD and then mounting it as a CD-ROM - Is there another way to bring the game disc to the HDD? So far when I mount the image in MagicDisc it will autorun the program like normal, but just before the “Microsoft” splash screen it goes back to windows with an “insert disc 2” prompt.

Pardon my noobness,

TC