Image recognition software for scanners

Hi. I got my scanner with its ABBYY Finereader Sprint v4.0 and IT SO SUCKS!!. I mean I scan ONE page of typewritten lecture handout notes (forget about my handwritten ones for the moment) and the whole thing comes up with incoherent words and babble. My language is English, BTW so it isn’t because I took Arabic as the language.

I mean, even diagrams are being stupidly reduced into tables. :a

I would suggest Caere software, such as Omnipage

Sometimes a LE version is provided with scanners…don’t know if it comes in a trial version online…

Does Omnipage have different versions? I got mine with my scanner a few years ago which is probably outdated so I’m wandering if I should get an updated version.

Originally posted by mmz87
Does Omnipage have different versions? I got mine with my scanner a few years ago which is probably outdated so I’m wandering if I should get an updated version.

Yes, there is a limited version, usually provided with scanners (LE version) and a full version.

http://www.omnipage.com/omnipage/

I’ve had a scanner for a coupla years or so but could never get Omnipage to work as it’s supposed to. I found it very unfriendly. My brother pointed me to a proggie called Cunieform (I think that’s how it’s spelt). It’s a Russian proggie, in English fortunately 'cos I don’t speak Russian. I thought it was brilliant - simple, easy to use and it worked! I scanned in a newspaper page and only had a few minor corrections to make!

(My scanner came with Textbridge, which I also hated).