Image burn / set layer break

vbimport

After stumbling into the Layer Break error using ImageBurn, I spent about
an hour researching it. Why ? The clever error report just spelled out the problem, and gave no course of action, nor even pointed out that ImageBurn
could help you with this.
Then, I happen upon this very straightforward guide;
“How to write a DVD Video double layer disc using ImgBurn” - ImgBurn
Support Forum.htm
I’m thinking I’m home free now. Like the graphics lending support to each step in the guide. Until the critical point, what I’d searched for and wanted
to know how to do - choosing the layer break point manually. At least a
couple trip-ups here;

1. Just after the part on naming the “volume label” , and click OK; this is
    the stage at which the dreaded Layer Break error appears ! No mention
    of that in the guide??? Ok, so I “X” it out, hoping to proceed.
  2. About that “Create Layer Break Position” — that’s what I want, but
    any clue as to how to get there? I clicked on every drop-down menu,
    checked every tab on the upper-right panel of Image Burn. I changed
    modes and views, and never came into that cool tool. Every other step
    in the guide tells you just how to get to the next.
    (I have the latest version…)
    Help, please?

Some screenshots would help!

Maybe you have used DVD-R DL???

(sorry,…I was thinking the guide was here at myce.com, and was well known to all)
Here’s the link to the guide;
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4643

Re; the type of disc - DVD-R DL - not relevant to my issue with the guide. Seems to be
a missing link when moving to Create Layer Breaks. I get that licked and I should be good to go. BTW I use only DVD+ , Verbatim.

Images from that guide attached, and the [U][B]text that follows[/B] the [U]Naming of the [/U][/U[U]]disc volume.[/U] [U]Then text leads to Create Layer Breaks[/U], but I have no idea how we got there. (I’m not sure how to insert the text [U][B]between the two images[/B],[/U] but hope it is clear from my description.)

"[I]Now that you’ve given your disc a name, you’ll have another option to configure - the layer break position.
The transition between layers normally causes the player to ‘pause’ playback for a second whilst the drive’s laser moves to where it needs to be and focuses on what it needs to read.
What you need to do on this screen is pick (from the options provided) a nice spot (Cell) within your movie for that transition to take place.
The item (Cell) you select will be the first thing on the 2nd layer and hence what’s shown AFTER the momentary pause.
Where possible, you want to avoid having a pause in the middle of a fast moving ‘action’ scene and instead put it somewhere you’re less likely to notice it.
The coloured stars will give you an idea of the best place (technically speaking) for the layer break position, but just remember, you’re the only one that knows what’s going to work best for your movie.
Luckily for you, ImgBurn has this great feature whereby you can preview what you’re looking at - Cell wise!
If you want to, select each option in turn and click the ‘Preview Selected Cell’ button to see what’s going on in the movie at that point.[/I]

You should check out this excellent guide by Wombler

http://club.myce.com/f116/choosing-correct-layer-break-position-imgburn-313692/

It is good that you know this guide, and have the link to it. I needn’t bother to attach an image, but I’ll pull some text to focus my point.
Oddly enough, this guide lacks the exact same key information, at least that I need. That would be just where did this “Create Layer Break” dialogue box come from??
Or, how was it brought into view??
I’m thinking Twilight Zone here, as I read one after another post declaring success, and being so grateful for the guide’s aid in achieving the task.
Here is the text in question;

"[I]I’m assuming that users are already familiar with the rest of the burning process in ImgBurn so I’m only detailing the specifics relating to selection of the layer break.

[U]Once you reach the appropriate stage in the burn process the following screen appears [/U]which basically is a list of all the potential layer break locations that ImgBurn has identified."[/I]

PLEASE EXPLAIN , or redirect me to someone familiar with this process. NOTE that
the author of the guide states “Once you reach the appropriate stage in the burn process,
the following screen appears…”

1. …stage in the burn process?? I had no choice but to close the ImageBurn warning
    about lacking “Layer Break points”, select “YES” to proceed - based on that quoted remark. I hoped that at some point, in the “burn process”, this mysterious Create Layer Break dialogue box would appear. It did not, and the operation failed , another ruinded DL disc.

2. I think the more correct word choice would be “stage in the burn setup process”.

It would be helpful to have someone point me in the right direction, because as I said, I have (I think) viewed all menu choices and clicked all tabs! The “layer break” IS noted two places, I see;

>> [U]Settings / BUILD / Page 1 ; Image Start LBA[/U] (not sure that’s
Layer Break- the LB_?)
Definitely here, though;
>> [U]Settings / WRITE / Page 1 ; OPTIONS [/U]>> [I]Calculate Optimal
[/I]…OR, [I]USER Defined [/I]! << IF this is chosen, you need
to enter something right now, in the “Sectors in LO”, or you cant
close this part of the Settings options.
>> and here; [U]MAIN ImageBurn program window / TOOLS / ISO [/U]/ “Display
ISO Layer Break Information” (we’re not in ISO mode in both the
guides covered above, and that’s not a HOW TO thing anyway )

So, where is that nifty tool and viewer that helps you choose the Layer Break ??  Gotta be something real simple I'm missing, because I've 

never ran into this, having just began trying dual-layer discs.

(btw and off-topic…I keep re-working my text here, but it continues to preview alternating between a very long sentence, and a very short one.)

To cut the cheese, WHERE does your ISOs come from really???

I wanna thank you for stickin’ with me here. I was just about to shutdown and head out, but found a new reply.
By your brief remark there, I am to understand that this user defined layer break
dialogue is only pertinent to burning an ISO ? I will have to check later, but I dont
recall in either guide the point expressed that this can only be done in this manner,
… and NOT… while trying to load and burn a DVD / .vob file folder.
Is this the simple nugget of information that’s missing , or that I have missed ??

Oddly enough, this guide lacks the exact same key information, at least that I need. That would be just where did this “Create Layer Break” dialogue box come from??
Or, how was it brought into view??

The box will automatically pop up with any DL disc

1. …stage in the burn process?? I had no choice but to close the ImageBurn warning
    about lacking “Layer Break points”, select “YES” to proceed - based on that quoted remark. I hoped that at some point, in the “burn process”, this mysterious Create Layer Break dialogue box would appear. It did not, and the operation failed , another ruinded DL disc.

Closing the box stopped the process.

1. I think the more correct word choice would be “stage in the burn setup process”.

Maybe

In your screen shot you had 6 choices to place the layer break, the one with the Blue Star was the best break point as determined by the software.

I think I’ve used Imgburn even with “weird” media and content, it never failed me regarding layer break so far.
So, thats why I’m a bit surprised.

The coloured stars will give you an idea of the best place (technically speaking) for the layer break position, but just remember, you’re the only one that knows what’s going to work best for your movie.
Luckily for you, ImgBurn has this great feature whereby you can preview what you’re looking at - Cell wise!
If you want to, select each option in turn and click the ‘Preview Selected Cell’ button to see what’s going on in the movie at that point.

By highlighting any of the 6 positions and then clicking on the " Preview Selection " Button you will see how picking that spot for the layer break shows up in your movie.
It will show a few seconds of the movie before and during the switch.

If it is in the middle of an action scene you will notice the slight pause the layer change produces, and you would want to try one of the other spots to make sure you are not in the middle of a action scene.

Hope this helps.

Looks to me from pic2 as chosing the blue starred line and clicking OK then would be the best choice…

Looks to me from pic2 as chosing the blue starred line and clicking OK then would be the best choice…

(technically speaking) Yes but the OP was asking about Manually setting it up and I was trying to explain it in more layman terms for someone that has never used it.

I know I just do it now without thinking about it, but for someone that has never used it before it can still be a bit confusing.

Womblers guide is using it with DVDFab but his explanations are pretty straightforward

Playback of the cell immediately after the layer break will begin automatically when the preview window launches which is not what we want so hit the ‘Stop’ button (3).

Then use either the slider (5) or the arrowed buttons (4) to move the playback position until the cell number displayed (just above (5)) changes to the previous one (in this case cell 16).

Hit the ‘Play’ button (3) and watch the transition, complete with simulated pause.

Close the preview window (6).

If you’re unhappy try another position.

Once you’ve located and chosen the position you’re most happy with then continue the normal burn process.

Now you know how to make your own decision based on the cell contents and this is the officially recommended way of doing it.

Happy DL burning folks!

mrlewp

If you read Womblers guide slowly while trying to do a DVD it becomes a little more understanding.

Those screenshots are from the guide, they’re not the OPs :slight_smile:

If you aren’t seeing the ‘Create Layer Break Position’ window and you’re burning a DL sized VIDEO_TS folder then you must be getting the ‘End Of The World!’ message instead.

It might help if you copy + paste the info from the log window once you’ve tried to build your disc (and failed).

Wow. It all went off-track a while there. Thanks Lightning UK for noticing that the pics weren’t from my own trials ! and that’s the way I presented them. And , again you are correct about the error / warning. I had already got a shot of it to attach here, when I saw how off the beaten path this session had gotten.
This “Create Layer Break?” thing…by whatever name. I’ve never seen it!
It does not pop up when __? what, inserting a DL disc. Why would it until
it’s apparent that there’s more data than the first layer would hold?

Closing the message box killed the process? – as I said, and like most error messages – you get’s nowhere from here, unless you pick one. Yes, No, Cancel …etc. etc.

I described it as an “error” box , and not the “Create …” box pictured in my 2nd post. (both pics from the How To Guide)
My question , previous post , wasn’t answered. [U]Am I correct that this “[I]CREATE LAYER BREAKS[/I]” dialogue – only pertains to the process of burning an ISO image, to a DL disc. NOT a DVD/.vob fileset?[/U]

Fellows , guess what I just found in the Backup settings for DVDShrink. One of the tabs
(forget which now)… option was “remove layer break” , and it was checked???
WHY??
I didnt do that, and if I’m working in the 8.5G mode , shouldn’t there be a tip
there somewhere, that I might want to UN-check that option? Just askin’. Trying to
get it down. (another post or forum?..sorry, needless to say gettin’ a bit frustrated)
I’m going to create an ISO file, and try that with ImageBurn. See if I can make this
"Create Layer Break…" thing come out from obscurity.

End of the World solution and guide: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6376

Good find! :clap:

[QUOTE=mrlewp;2552641]Fellows , guess what I just found in the Backup settings for DVDShrink. One of the tabs
(forget which now)… option was “remove layer break” , and it was checked???
WHY??
I didn’t do that, and if I’m working in the 8.5G mode , shouldn’t there be a tip
there somewhere, that I might want to UN-check that option? Just askin’. Trying to
get it down. (another post or forum?..sorry, needless to say gettin’ a bit frustrated)
I’m going to create an ISO file, and try that with ImageBurn. See if I can make this
"Create Layer Break…" thing come out from obscurity.[/QUOTE]
This is the first post where you mention DVDShrink.
If you used DVDShrink with “remove layer break” checked then that is what happened.
DVDShrink can be a very useful program but hasn’t been updated for years & AFAIK it isn’t going to be. Being older it is not as intuitive to let you know what you are doing might be wrong. For all it knows you have a reason for removing the layer break.
The guide probably should have that information included.
My first suggestion is rip the DVD from the original again. This time don’t remove the layer break.
If that isn’t possible for whatever reason.
I looked at Kerry56’s link. Cynthia is very knowledgeable about ImgBurn & other software . I would certainly give that method a try.
Creating an .iso from what you already have should result in the same error.
EDIT:
I have an untried suggestion(at least untried by me.) You might see if a freeware FixVTS might fix the layer break. Again I don’t know if this program will do this.

WHEW !! I was expecting a real thrashing this morning, on my last post before shutting down and going to bed. Less than 2 minutes after hittin’ the button to post it, I knew where I was wrong about the “remove layer break” option in DVDShrink.
Correct me if I’m wrong (often)… but that would be relevant when D’Shrink is doing what it is designed to do, right? If you’re starting with a 7Gig movie, for ex., and you’re going to burn it on a standard 4.7G disc, then there’s no point in having the LayrBreak
point in the new data to be burned.
Thanks again to all, and I will now explore the new guide.

My question , previous post , wasn’t answered. Am I correct that this “CREATE LAYER BREAKS” dialogue – only pertains to the process of burning an ISO image, to a DL disc. NOT a DVD/.vob fileset?

No it pertains to both, my understanding is it has to do with the DL process.

Correct me if I’m wrong (often)… but that would be relevant when D’Shrink is doing what it is designed to do, right? If you’re starting with a 7Gig movie, for ex., and you’re going to burn it on a standard 4.7G disc, then there’s no point in having the LayrBreak

My thought would be that the software stills needs that info in order to create/shrink the movie down.It is a part of the original after all.

WHEW !! I was expecting a real thrashing this morning, on my last post before shutting down and going to bed

:disagree: :disagree:
Most of us started the same way you are, :iagree: so no need for thrashing :disagree: Yet :bigsmile: