I'm not too impressed with my new pioneer 112d

a 16x media cmc mag +r dvd is burned at 12x
brand name aptiva from office depot
then it is burned at 8x cause 12x is a problem for pioneer still
I thought it would be better then nec but in truth it’s a poor man’s version of it… This will be my only one and last one.

You are blaming your burner. Have you considered that the media might be to blame or that the burner and media are not as compatible as one could hope for?

CMC MAG M01 is variable media, with some of it being rather poor. Have you tried burning this batch of media in another drive?

I’m blaming my burner??? OK…
I do more testing so you can see that its not a media problems

[quote=sugarmommyst;1920716]I’m blaming my burner??? OK…
I do more testing so you can see that its not a media problems[/quote] Your tests show that the Samsung drive burns the media at full speed, but they don’t show whether there’s any difference in burn quality (the two Transfer Rate Tests are not comparable since they are performed in different drives).

Do you have DMA turned on for the PIO and are you using an 80 wire ide cable?

To be sure that is not a media issue, then you should obtain the same bad results also with different brands.

Try to burn a Verbatim or, better, a Taiyo Yuden disc. Let’s see if also with these proved quality discs you still have problems :slight_smile:

The samsung has a few spikes but the pioneer is awful
no matter what media i use its all the same

[QUOTE=sugarmommyst;1920716]I’m blaming my burner??? OK…
[/QUOTE]

Well the thread title would seem to indicate that, yes. :wink:

CMC MAG M01 isn’t terrific media at all. If you’re lucky you’ll get a half decent 8x burn out of it.

I would second Geno’s suggestion to try some known good media on it. From the media types you’ve shown so far, these can be variable in quality, so they don’t really say much at all about your Pioneer.

I’ve wasted enough disc already
It’s always the media, the hardware is all good no matter how bad the burn are. This pioneer will be collecting dust, I don’t have any more time to fool with it. Your can do quality scan all ya want but that’s not going to make a poorly burnt disc look better. :disagree:

Bad quality is not the problem
The media are the problem
I got to throw all of them away and buy quality stuff like TY
Anything else is garbage. :bigsmile:

Hehe.

I’ve used CMC MAG M01 (a fewdifferent brands) on a variety of burners, and only one, maybe two burned them decently (at 8x).

There is a possibility that firmware-wise, my burners just don’t get on with it. But I’m not going to go blaming my burners for that, when they burn most other stuff fine (including CMC MAG. AM3 ;)).

I have decided to do quality scan and it has proven that bad media is the culprit
The samsung did not burn better
The pioneer is sensitive to bad media :smiley:
Even thought these were packaged well
commericial stuff at retail price which I’ve gotten as a discount
junk is junk with a fancy packaging?

I will be doing more scan so you guy can judge for yourself…

hardware = rarely a problem

media quality = always a problem :bow:

This burn test is TDK DVD+R from newegg
I thought it would be TY
It’s cmc mag m01 again :frowning:
The quality seem to be better but is still far from good

I am very disappointed
The whole time I thought the hardware is defective or doesn’t like this type of media

I blame it on the Chinese for making so many low quality stuff
They drive down the price which encourages others to do the same
Just because you pay as much for branded china/taiwan dvd media does not mean it is good stuff.

These disc were retested not new disc that I hadn’t scanned…
It turn out that even thought the TRT was perfect
The QS is complete different
Quality is not something that most manufacturer cares about if it is readable then they say a OK :iagree:
QS is good for comparing readable media but cannot tell if it is a coaster or not. Most media have horrible scan but reads fine
QS is for geeks, 90 percent of us do not use it. 90 percent of the media does not scan well so it is consider sub par to those who are very cautious
Maybe most media isn’t made for scanning purpose.
Media that scan well are used as marketing so it will sell really well for marketing purpose. This is not a conspiracy theory
This is just an intelligent guess.
:wink:

[quote=sugarmommyst;1920900]
I blame it on the Chinese for making so many low quality stuff
They drive down the price which encourages others to do the same
Just because you pay as much for branded china/taiwan dvd media does not mean it is good stuff.[/quote]

Care to rephrase that? Why don’t you blame companies like TDK or Aptiva for wanting cheap media? How about yourself for not doing some research before going out and buying low quality media? Thanks for your ignorance. Typical, blame everyone except yourself. :rolleyes:

Here i have a very crappy 4x media burned at 12x on nec 3550a
The speedtest is bad but the scan paints a different picture :smiley:
If you play it on a dvd player it will skip at 3.7gb and above…
If i burn it at 8x it will play flawlessly.
pic 3,4 is nec 3550a at 16x
here we should see bad scan as always
TRT no problem.
QS is not an indicative of how well the disc read but how well the disc scan on the surface, it may look good but it maybe corrupt aka coaster :slight_smile:
TRT and ScanDisc are the only two thing that is useful the rest is just for fun

This may be a shot in the dark, but i see in your sig that your cpu and memory are overclocked. Try setting them to nornal defaults and burn again.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;1920981]This may be a shot in the dark, but i see in your sig that your cpu and memory are overclocked. Try setting them to nornal defaults and burn again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that’s a hardcore FSB overclock… Something very well known to screw up some IDE controllers.

Also the talk above of burning 16x media at 4x? I don’t think that’s ever going to get good results.

Also, I’m glad you found the inconsistent media was at the core of your problems, I take it you are happier with your 112 now?

@ sugarmommyst,

This whole thread centers around your insistence in attempting to use well-documented known poor quality Media which was pointed out to you by a well-informed knowledgeable Forum Members (posting #2, #6, & #8).

Suggest visiting the CDFreaks Blank Media Forum for pertinent information in selecting known proven quality Media that consistently produces quality error free results ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/

Regards,
bjkg

yes, just be done with it.

buy some Verbatim DVD+R. i get great results with the pioneer 112D with this media. and when i burn at 8X, i get the best scans i’ve ever had with any combo of burner, media and burn speed.

i sold a Samsung on eBay. the drive works perfectly fine. the buyer emailed me a couple times about getting coasters, and i tried to help him very nicely. he was using Imation discs, and I kept asking him to check the media code in cd-dvd speed, but he never would. I informed him about good vs. bad quality media and even linked to a couple threads in this forum and asked him to try some Verbatim discs, which he said he would. A couple days later he writes back saying that he’s still getting coasters, but this time with (crappy) Memorex discs. Finally, he has figured out the the disc quality is the culprit, but he still wants to return the drive for the price he paid + shipping (hah) because he says the drive is picky.

No matter what people may think, DVD writers and DVD media don’t ‘just work’ out of the box.

Agree that Verb’s are great as I use 16X +R’s and burn at 12X with the 112L and get great burns only use the 112D to read :cool::cool: