I'm not sure what i did but it wasn't good. LOL

I tried to back up my movie collection and apparently I failed miserably. I have a small movie collection (only 78) and was able to successfully rip them to my harddrive. I was only getting the main movies not worrying about the extra features, etc… I was able to fit 6 of the movies onto each disk. Trying to keep them in a way that they could be easily redownloaded to my computer and then (if necessary) reburned. I got tired of buying the same movies over and over again due to my kids scratching up the dvds. Well, the problem is that I used Windows Media Player to do it. Drag and Drop method. It seems that it doesn’t format the disk first but still burns to the disk. I have 13 disks that have all my movies on them but now I can’t get them back off of the disks. They have destroyed a couple of my fav movies and now I want to get them back off the disks they are on so that I can be able to watch them again. Even if it is only on the computer. Can anyone help?

You are going to have to get an actual ripping program in order to bypass the copy protection on your original disks. Windows Media Player will not do this. DVDFab HD Decrypter is free and is kept up-to-date for newer protection schemes.
Second, even if you are doing the main movie only, 6 movies to a single layer disk will result in terrible quality of the movies. Usually a single movie only will fit on a disk with very little or no compression. Anymore than that (unless you are converting to a different format) will probably not even be tolerable to watch. You can use a program such as DVD Shrink for your compression duties. And then burn the resulting files to disk using ImgBurn. Both programs are also free.

What software did you use to rip the originals with?

RM

magic dvd ripper was the program i used but the problem isn’t trying to watch them again on those disks it is that i was trying to just keep them as data files on the disks ( that is the only way i know of to be able to fit 6 of them onto each disk) to keep in case i need to burn a regular dvd again later I use Nero 7 ultimate to burn and haven’t had a single problem with that but when i just tried to put the files (i think they were in AVI format) onto the disk i used media player to drag and drop and now i can’t bring up any of the movies on any of the disks that i created

it is like my files on those disks have become permanently invisilble and i can’t get them to come back up lol

btw thank you both for the assistance

So you were ripping and converting to .avi using magic dvd ripper. Well at least that is a little better for fitting the 6 movies to 1 disk. But I am still a little lost on the burning, sorry. You said that on some you used nero to burn and it worked fine, But then you tried to drag and drop the files using Windows Media Player? And it showed that it was burning to the disk?
Have any of the disks you made using this method ever played? What does it show when you view the drive with the disk in it, under “My Computer?”

[QUOTE=ferguj1;2239382]So you were ripping and converting to .avi using magic dvd ripper. Well at least that is a little better for fitting the 6 movies to 1 disk. But I am still a little lost on the burning, sorry. You said that on some you used nero to burn and it worked fine, But then you tried to drag and drop the files using Windows Media Player? And it showed that it was burning to the disk?
Have any of the disks you made using this method ever played? What does it show when you view the drive with the disk in it, under “My Computer?”[/QUOTE]

Ok, No need to apologize. I need to be a little more precise on things like this. You know how you can make a play list on Windows Media Player (I’ll get to the Nero part in a min) then you also know that you can make a burn list. I made a burn list and burned using Window’s media player. Now, Immediately after burning (i know it is burning cause it will work on something in the dvd rom and then pop the disk out and i’m sure you know if you look at the disk just right you can tell if it has been burned on) i take out the disk then put it back in and it reads like it is blank. If i bring up the properties on the other hand it shows that the disk has only 128 megs left blank while the rest of the disk shows that it has been taken up. So when I put it in the dvd rom on my laptop (which is what i am using to do all this) it comes up that it is trying to format the disk. As if the disk was never burned on but it still only shows as having 128 megs of space to burn on. The only time I have used the Nero is for when I burned the movie back into the dvd format so that we can watch it on a regular dvd player. This way I figured that i can keep a b/u of the movies and when it becomes necessary to make a new dvd cause of the kids, all I have to do is select the disk that has the movie in question, Copy it in it’s avi form from the disk to my harddrive, then use the Nero to burn the movie in DVD form onto a new disk for watching on the regular dvd player. The problem I have been trying to get across is that the b/u disk(after burned) is still showing blank. I’ve tried everything I can think of on my laptop in the settings and can’t figure out anything that will bring up the stuff on the disks. I have 3 different media players and none of them bring up anything on the disks. I Guess I the to put in a lighter term is that I burned ghosts LOL I’m trying to keep a light heart in all this cause I know I can just redo everything with new disks and a different b/u program but it just erks the heck out of me to have waisted 7 blank dvd’s. I recently had an employment change(non voluntary I was laid off but found another job 2 weeks later) so money is ALOT tighter now and I can’t afford to be buying blank dvd’s even though they are getting cheaper by the day it seems. So any help I can get is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you again

To be honest, I haven’t used Win. Media Player in ages, and even when I did, I don’t recall ever burning from it. Before I go any further, I am sure you are aware that laptop burners are not the best and tend to flame out when it comes to continued burning. So, maybe when times get a little better for you, you could invest in a good external drive. But, back to the problem at hand. I would definitely forgo the burning using media player, instead I highly recommend ImgBurn. You can then simply add your files and burn as data to your disk. Be sure to use some high quality media such as Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, or Sony as that can make all the difference in the world on the quality and longevity of your files.

hi,i am trying to download a movie with realplayer but it only downloads a clip ,this is all on the up and up. isthere anyone out there that has ever done this before?Please help,sorry if i am on the wrong forum.

[QUOTE=twix;2240273]hi,i am trying to download a movie with realplayer but it only downloads a clip ,this is all on the up and up. isthere anyone out there that has ever done this before?Please help,sorry if i am on the wrong forum.[/QUOTE]

It’s always best to start your own thread so that more people see your question. I haven’t used RP in years, i use Real Alternative so i don’t have to put that program on my cpu. As far as recording streaming video try one of these tools. I personally use Orbit Downloader.

[QUOTE=chaskell101;2237291]I tried to back up my movie collection and apparently I failed miserably. I have a small movie collection (only 78) and was able to successfully rip them to my harddrive. I was only getting the main movies not worrying about the extra features, etc… I was able to fit 6 of the movies onto each disk. Trying to keep them in a way that they could be easily redownloaded to my computer and then (if necessary) reburned. I got tired of buying the same movies over and over again due to my kids scratching up the dvds. Well, the problem is that I used Windows Media Player to do it. Drag and Drop method. It seems that it doesn’t format the disk first but still burns to the disk. I have 13 disks that have all my movies on them but now I can’t get them back off of the disks. They have destroyed a couple of my fav movies and now I want to get them back off the disks they are on so that I can be able to watch them again. Even if it is only on the computer. Can anyone help?[/QUOTE]

This is your original post. You mentioned that you use Drag and Drop method to make data disc.
That is what is called Packet writing and your disc is formatted before burn to be able to do that. That is also why it show 128MB left, because disk is not closed.
You can try to use same software which you used for burning to open it, it should work, otherwise IsoBuster is only way to see what is on.
Next time you do something like this, just burn it as data disc, not Drag and Drop, than you can read it on any machine later.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2240329]This is your original post. You mentioned that you use Drag and Drop method to make data disc.
That is what is called Packet writing and your disc is formatted before burn to be able to do that. That is also why it show 128MB left, because disk is not closed.
You can try to use same software which you used for burning to open it, it should work, otherwise IsoBuster is only way to see what is on.
Next time you do something like this, just burn it as data disc, not Drag and Drop, than you can read it on any machine later.[/QUOTE]

thank you

[QUOTE=ferguj1;2240013]To be honest, I haven’t used Win. Media Player in ages, and even when I did, I don’t recall ever burning from it. Before I go any further, I am sure you are aware that laptop burners are not the best and tend to flame out when it comes to continued burning. So, maybe when times get a little better for you, you could invest in a good external drive. But, back to the problem at hand. I would definitely forgo the burning using media player, instead I highly recommend ImgBurn. You can then simply add your files and burn as data to your disk. Be sure to use some high quality media such as Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, or Sony as that can make all the difference in the world on the quality and longevity of your files.[/QUOTE]

And thank you also I very much appreciate all the help

You are welcome, hope it is all sorted out :slight_smile: