I'm Not sure just how too

vbimport

I just bought the Ben-Q 1620. My computer has the original CD drive and the Memorex DVD writer (4X) that has been very satisfactory. It didn’t have double layer, my reason to get a new one. My question is, which drive should I replace? If I replace the old CD drive, do I have to make one of the DVD drives a master anhttp://club.cdfreaks.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=92#
Winkd thttp://club.cdfreaks.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=92#
Agreehe other the slave, and if so how do I do it. Thanks for any information.

Good choice with the 1620!
Manufacturers Manuals almost recommend Dvd burner as master
but there’s also no problem if you’ve 2 Dvd burners one as master 2nd as
slave. But still in your case I would recommend the 1620 as master and the
Cd drive as slave. It’s only better for on-the-fly copies. :wink:

Does your “CD drive” is a CD-ROM or CDRW? In any case, I would put the 1620 as Master and the Memorex DVD writer as Slave. Make sure you set the jumper on the back of each drive as Master or Slave. Refer to the manual, or just see the chart on the back of each drive. It usually tells you where to set the Master/Slave pin.

Is it better to jumper the drives as Master and Slave or is it okay to use the Cable Select setting?

Now, that lost me. What is jumper the drives? I just have a cable with two places to add drives.

My CD drive must be a CDRW. It came on the Dell computer about 4 years ago, and it reads CD’s and DVD’s and records CD’s.

I assume that CDRW is CD read and CDwrite

Exactly.
The jumper you’ll find on the drives back. It’s a small little thin piece it almost
have different colors. It’s on the left side next to where you connect the drive
with the audio cables. Just pull it out and set for example the 1620 to master
and the other drive you choose to slave. In your Users manual you’ll
see the marks. :eek:

This might be a long shot… :eek: A 4 years old computer… hmm… probably PIII something.

Can you tell us what is your system spec? If you do not know, what is your Dell model. I wanted to make sure that your system is up to spec, otherwise you may not be able to burn double layer as you wanted to.

That’s not exactly right. It looks more like a combo drive to me. A CDRW burner is capable of burning CD-RW and CD-R. It is also capable of reading CD-ROM, and all the things it can burn. However, it is not capable of reading any DVD mediums. A combo drive is capable of burning CD-RW, CD-R, but not any kind of DVD recordables. It is also capable of reading CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and some burned DVD mediums. Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Most of us here has a what BenQ defines as DVD Rewriter like DW1620. It is capable of burning CD-RW, CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+DL, DVD+RW, DVD-RW and read CD-ROM, DVD-ROM plus all the things it can burn of course. There are drives out there that support other formats such as DVD-RAM, but it’s not that common.

I think you’re right messenger. At the moment I don’t recognized the dvd reading
:cool:
As I know M.Brooks you need a minimum for your drive a P3 with 500-600mhz
and 128Dram

Zevia:

Not sure what you wanted, but hope this covers all.

Dimension 8100 Series, Pentinum 4, Processor 1.GHz
512MB PC800 RDRAM
64MB DDR NVDIA GeForce3 AXAGP Graphics Card
Windows XP Home
CD Rom:16 Max Variable DVD ROM
SB Live Digital Sou7nd Card with 1024 Voices

One More thing. When I put in the Memorex DVD writer, I didn’t know anything about Master and Slave. I just installed it, and it worked fine (and still does.)

Use cable select with the Dell. Remember to put the drive that you want to be master on the end of hte cable and the slave in the middle.

I want to thank you all for your help. One more thing, I bought the 1620 Pro. Do I have to upgrade the firmware?

This is your decision.
You could test the firmware you’ve at the moment, just making a few test burns.
If you’re happy with it it’s OK if not try the latest fw. or the previous firmwares.
Then you could see what is the lucky one for you!