I'm not sure how to back up a disk

vbimport

I have 3 computers in my house. My 2 daughters each have their own and I have mine. My issue has been that both daughters (age 7 & 11) LOVE “the sims 2”. But they can not both play it at the same time cause we only have 1 disk. My youngest had scratched her copy so now we only have 1 working disk to play it and I can not get it to do a back up. I appently have to do a back up BEFORE they scratch the crap out of this copy too.

Please help, I’ve been trying for 2 weeks now. All it keeps telling me is there’s " unrecoverable read error".

If they could both use their computers at the same time, I’d be in peaceful bliss…

please help soon…:frowning:

Don’t think we will be able to help you. What you are asking, is against our forum rules. Please read the forum rules again…

Hi cdnkcomeau,

If you purchased 2 copies of the Sims and now you only have 1 working copy, then I would think that you are entitled to make another copy to replace the broken one. If you do have 2 originals, then you need to post more details. What software did you use to try the backup?

Mods, if I am incorrect, feel free to remove my post.

RM

Nothing wrong to make a backup of the second, still working, disc before it goes bad and you have no working discs at all.

I would check out the copy protection forum to find tips on how to detect copy protections and the software to beat it. There are several topics on Sims

According to the copy protection forum, The Sims 2 is protected with Safedisc v3.something,

Yes I do have 2 disks of the Sims but 1 is broken. So we only have 1 disk to use to play the game as you need to insert disk 1 to play. I am not looking to copy it for any other reason than my little girl already scratched 1 disk beyond repair and I know it will happen again but refuse to buy a 3rd game so she can continue to play.

I just want to back up disk #1 of the game… I know it can be done and it’s not breaking any rules to make a back up. I have been trying to do this for a few months now and had to hide the disk from the kids.

I have tried Nero 7, dvd decryptor, dvd shrink, clone cd, clone dvd, fancy dvd,

I DO NOT appreciate the comment:
"I don’t dislike newbies, just lazy people who expect others to do their work for them. " I HAVE BEEN TRYING…

[QUOTE=cdnkcomeau;2104689]Yes I do have 2 disks of the Sims but 1 is broken. So we only have 1 disk to use to play the game as you need to insert disk 1 to play. I am not looking to copy it for any other reason than my little girl already scratched 1 disk beyond repair and I know it will happen again but refuse to buy a 3rd game so she can continue to play.

I just want to back up disk #1 of the game… I know it can be done and it’s not breaking any rules to make a back up. I have been trying to do this for a few months now and had to hide the disk from the kids.

I have tried Nero 7, dvd decryptor, dvd shrink, clone cd, clone dvd, fancy dvd,

I DO NOT appreciate the comment:
"I don’t dislike newbies, just lazy people who expect others to do their work for them. " I HAVE BEEN TRYING…[/QUOTE]
I don’t think that statement was directed at you, just a general statement.
Is it a cd or a dvd? If it is a cd, look at it through the light. Does it look like the are any spots of light (where the recording surface/label side is damaged)? There is very little protection to the recording surface of a cd, and if it is damaged, there is no possible way to fix it. If not or if it is a dvd, check out the copy protection forum (there are many copy protections, and there usually is a certain procedure for a specific game/protection. If the recommended methods fail, you might have to try and repair the scratches.

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2103440] Last edited by Da_Taxman; 2 Days Ago at 11:06. Reason: Modified .exe files are illegal and not allowed on this forum. Please respect CD Freaks by respecting our rules[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that; I have looked at the forum rules, but I scanned them, rather than reading the fine print. Also, I’m not certain that modified .exe files are illegal in and of themselves; using them to illegally copy games/software definitely is, but if I choose to mess around with some software that I have purchased legally for my own personal convenience then I can’t see how that can be illegal.

Sláinte

midders

P.S. you could have left the pointer to Alcohol 120% in though.