I'm new, probably a stupid question-xbox dvd-r playback

vbimport

Hi,
I want to start burning backup copies of all my 3 year old’s dvd’s, because he wreaks havoc on them. We started trying today, and we can burn a copy that plays on the PC, but not in out xbox. I searched the forum for x-box related dvd-r questions, but honestly, I have no idea what anyone here is talking about. I’m completely new to all this. I don’t want to have to start buying super expensive DVR’s, because we’re looking for a cheaper alternative to buying multiple copies of every one of his DVD’s, and we generally get them on sale for ten dollars or less. That seems to be the general reccomendation for this problem. I guess I sort of (idiotically)expected it to be as easy as burning an audio cd. I used Nero 6, and checked the x-box compatibility option. I’m using an hp dvd writer dvd420i. I also ran DVD identifier, and this is what I got:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R03-004]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [004]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Verbatim and TY discs are not that expensive, and are good quality. Tough not knowing where you are means we can’t point you to the best places to buy them.

I’m in a rural area in louisiana-all I can find at radio shack, walmart, ect is either TDK or Philips. I’m not near Baton rouge, but I guess I’ll probably have to go somewhere in that area (?)
Is it most proabably the discs, or could it be my burner?
Thanks!

Maybe this is an absolutely stupid question, but we’ve been burning dvd-roms with nero ( I was wrong about the version) 7. That’s the only thing that has the xbox compatibility option. But this is meant for games, not movies, right? So could that be the problem?

You should try dvd-r. I believe they are a little more compatible with the xbox. Also,I did some checking and your burner should support bitsetting. What that is, it allows you to burn a dvd+r as a dvd-rom which increases compatibility. After you open Nero hit ctrl+r and then select your burner. After that click on options and see if you get the option for booktype. If you do change that to dvd-rom and see if that helps. if it doesn’t give that option look at this tool here

Some XBoxes won’t read a DVD+R unless it’s booktype is DVD-ROM. Follow sikoone’s advice and you should be fine.

Certainly the earlier ones had this problem , mine did until I modded it, but the later ones should generally be OK. I think it all depended on the DVD reader fitted.

But best to booktype or use -R media.

Hmm, maybe it depends on the mod. Mine has a modchip and the Samsung DVD-ROM drive, doesn’t read a DVD+R unless it’s bitset to DVD-ROM.

Ok, I figured it out-yipee!
My husband had burned the first two-he told me he “used Nero.” I stupidly assumed he knew how to use it. He burned one to DVD-ROM and the other as a regular DVD-but he had just added the files to the root of the disk, not in the Video_TS folder. So we had an empty folder and a bunch of useless files. I discovered this when I looked at the contents of the disk in explorer. I updated the drive and then burned again-using Nero Vision instead of the burning rom-and it worked! I’m pretty sure it was the WAY he was doing it-of course the PC could read it as a data disk, and it turns out the stand alone player we used to test it is capable of recognizing data disks as well. Of course, it could also be that the drive needed to be updated, or that Nero Vision is magical. At any rate, we figured it out-thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. “Chicken Run” is back in comission!