I'm never buying cheap media again

vbimport

I know this has been said before, but I’m hardheaded and needed to learn for myself.

I have a bunch of Grateful Dead shows to burn (all the ones I went to back in the late 80s/early 90s). Following my old beliefs, that “CDRs are CDRs”, I bought the cheapest inkjet-printable I could find: Dysan-branded Prodisc.

I burned a few at 40x in my Pioneer 110D. Played fine in the car, but through headphones I could hear glitches. Figured they were in the source tapes.

Burned a few more in my old TDK 121032 (12x max speed). These were much better initially.

Today I had a chance to compare a 48x Fuji MIJ (Taiyo Yuden) burned at 52x in a Plextor Premium to one of the Prodiscs also burned in the Premium. The Prodisc had 250,000 C2 errors. The TY at 52x even beat the Prodisc burned at 16x. Then I went back and scanned some of the first Prodiscs I burned (at the very end of 2005)… pretty poor quality as well (worse than I recalled, but I used a Lite-On DVD burner to scan).

I’m tempted to dump all of this Prodisc media in the trash.

Oh yeah, here’s the scan of the Prodisc at 52x. :slight_smile:

So this is C2 graph? What would C1 look like then? :a

I’ve been using cheap media until a few weeks. I’m mow trying to get rid of my last 30 CMC CD-R and 25 CMC DVD+R (let’s burn some stuff for “friends” on those discs :bigsmile:), then I’m going to open the TY and Moser Baer/Verbatim spindles…

The green graph is C1 and the blue graph is C2, so it’s bad but not quite as bad as you think.

Why dont you do what I do, buy 2-3 of the disks to check quality, then if they work well buy 25 - 50 of em… seriously there only like 20p each

That’s really some of the best advice you’re going to get, along with researching what particular media has a KNOWN record of deteriorating over time. The reality is that most media, cheap included, does not have serious deterioration problems if stored and taken care of properly. There are of course certain types of media that are known to have deterioration issues even under good conditions, such as some Ritek G05 and some G04, some Princo. But IF you take the time to scan your burned discs at the time of the burn AND properly care for them, you can avoid almost all situations like this.

‘Cheap media’=bad is far too broad of a term to throw around, what did not work in your situation may work fine for another. Those same discs may have burned ok in another burner, you may have had the misfortune of a bad batch, etc.

I get what you’re saying, but I just don’t have time to do all that scanning. I guess I should just say that I’m using Taiyo Yuden from here on out.

TY is a safe bet, unless offcourse you have a bad batch as [B]scoobiedoobie[/B] says