I'm having a CDRW issue

Hello All

First off, I’m a newbie so this may be in the wrong place. Hi everybody!

I’m using a Memorex Ultra Speed CDRW 24x with Nero 6.0.0.9. When I use my external drive, the speed is pushed all the way to the minimum, 2x (WTF???). Strange thing is when I insert the same CDRW in my internal, the speed is set at its default (24x). So I’m not sure if this is a Nero or hardware problem.

I also tested another CDRW and get the same results.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Enternal: 40x12x40
Internal 24x10x24
Nero 6.0.0.9
Windows XP SP2

I did post this in the Nero board; I hate to double post so that post can be removed. I think it was in the wrong board…

Are you on USB 1.1 or 2.0? You’re also using an old version of Nero.

Thanks for your post!

I’m using USB 2.0. I checked the drivers for that and they are up to date. I did check for divers for the external burner but the site said the drivers were already in Windows.

Not sure about this, but is it a good idea to be using Ultra Speed media on a High Speed drive?

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I was wondering if “Ultra Speed” was just a fancy marketing term or if that meant that certain drives can’t handle it. It works find in the internal…I’m not sure.

Hmm, on the back of mine I seem to remember something like:

“Not compatable with High Speed drives”

Maybe it’s something in the firmware of that particular drive that makes it compatable, where the other one isn’t. One way to find out would be to switch the drives round (if possible) and see what happens.

Someone gave me the CDRW so I don’t have the orginal packaging in front of me.

One way to find out would be to switch the drives round (if possible) and see what happens.

I’m afraid I’m not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate please?

Don’t know if this helps any, but I have a box of Ultra-Speed Verbatim CD-RWs here. Says on the back:

“Compatible only with drives bearing the Ultra Speed CD-RW logo”.

:slight_smile:

And according to your post your internal writer is only capable of 10x on RW media. Your external is slightly faster at 12x. These are in the High Speed category & ultra speed media would not be certified to work. Your external burner is being totally confused by the media & the internal probably thinks it’s CD-R media not CD-RW hence the 24x speed.

And according to your post your internal writer is only capable of 10x on RW media. Your external is slightly faster at 12x. These are in the High Speed category & ultra speed media would not be certified to work. Your external burner is being totally confused by the media & the internal probably thinks it’s CD-R media not CD-RW hence the 24x speed.

Oh I had no idea about that. I thought 10x was slow for CDRW! :doh: Would I still be able to write to the CDRW without damaging data? If so, I assume it wouldn’t but at the 24x (even though the internal is confused).

Looks like I need to go back to the books. Does anyone have at their fingertips any info on the CD and drive standards etc?

Also, if both my drives are hi-speed, why wouldn’t “Ultra Speed” disks be compatible?

Thanks.

And update your Nero.

This is why they’re not compatible.

I wouldn’t take the risk with anything important when using media which is clearly stated as being incompatible.

Get some hi-speed media like Verbation 8-12x CD-RW & you’ll be fairly safe.

Tim…was the above meant for me? If so, the discs I mentioned work beautifully @ their rated speed (16x-24x) in my burners. :wink:

If it wasn’t meant for me, ignore this…maybe I need more coffee :bigsmile:

Not meant for you at all so I’m ignoring your post so get some coffee. :bigsmile:

I’m glad you mentioned that 'cos I didn’t realise that the LG4163B & my Benq 1620 were in the Ultra Speed category, I’ve been happily burning my hi-speeds with them. I think it’s time to buy some new Verb Ultra Speeds.

For the guy with the non Ultra, but High speed burner.

Thank you for all of your replies. I decided to edu-ma-cate myself and am posting the sites here for reference.

From what I understand, the Ultra Speed CDRW is working properly in the internal because that’s a high-speed drive. The external, although 12x, isn’t high-speed therefore the CDRW won’t burn properly.

This is why they’re not compatible.

I wouldn’t take the risk with anything important when using media which is clearly stated as being incompatible.

Get some hi-speed media like Verbation 8-12x CD-RW & you’ll be fairly safe.

I take it Ultra-Speed and hi-speed are two different things?

Sorry for sounding like a total nOOb. All this stuff is foreign to me!

http://www.imation.com/support/products/cd-rw_media.html#01
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa5.htm