I'm half way there - dvd authoring

vbimport

Hi all.

I have 3 large mpg files on my hard drive and I have managed to burn one onto a dvd with Nero. I then burned the other two files but …

my dvd does not recognise the new ones (even though I can see they are on the disc in file manager). Now, my research suggests I should have ‘authored’ them and then burnt them together. So:

• can you only burn a dvd once and once only
  • how do you author using Nero (I presume authoring is basically creating a nice menu for the dvd???)

thanks guys

D

If you’re talking about DVDs to play on a standard home theater setup, those DVDs don’t use MPG files–or rather, they do, but indirectly: all video data on DVDs is stored into VOB files.

Authoring DVDs is a tricky business: there are a dozen programs for newbies that will hand-hold you through creating menus and organizing your DVD structure. Ask around for the pros and cons of the various newbie-style DVD authoring programs. Most have their own limitations and frustrations. There’s a big trade-off between flexibility and ease-of-use, and I haven’t liked most of the ones I’ve tried so far…

I don’t remember the name of the Nero DVD Authoring program off-hand, but I don’t think it’s part of Burning ROM…

Not sure I understand your first question: if you’ve got your DVD authored on the hard drive, you can burn as many copies as you want.

unless it’s a re-writable dvd you can only burn to it once, , , or once at a time if you create a multi-session disc. but multi-session disc is NOT what you need.

suggest you try nero visionexpress. add your mpg files, make a menu and buttons or whatever…

So if I have say 3 large mpg files I can burn all of them onto a dvd disc on the first and only burn AND will be able to navigate to each of these files in the file manage of my dvd player?

cheers

D

That’s correct darrenh if you are burning to a dvd + or - r then it can only be burned to ONCE. If you are using a dvd + or - rw (rw meaning rewritable) than you basically can erase what you put on it and overwrite it.

As for burning mpeg files to DVD you will need to reauthor them . Nero vision express will do this as well as many other programs. I personally use “TMPGenc DVD author” to reauthor my mpegs. It has worked much better for me personally. You can get a trial version here to dl and try if you wish. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html
No matter which program you use to reauthor , try reading the user’s manuals in the programs help menu. While a lot of programs help is poor, nero and TMPGenc both have thorough help available. good luck.