I'm getting a computer upgrade!

vbimport

Well, I'm upgrading from my old P3 450 mhZ to a brand-new top of the line AMD Athalon XP 2100+ tonight. I'm so giddy :stuck_out_tongue: .

So, What kind of systems do you all have?

The little kiddies’ computer -
P3 500 Mhz
480MB Ram
42 Gig HD 12x DVD-ROM
32MB Savage4Pro videocard — This configuration should be powerful enough for the little kids!

The dad’s computer -
P3 933Mhz
640MB Ram
110 Gig HD 12x DVD-ROM/Ricoh 24x10x40 CDRW
32MB Savage4Pro videocard

All running on WinXP Pro Corp (yeah, i got 100 licenses :wink: )

Sweet :slight_smile:

I’ve got a P3 733Mhz Coppermine.

I’m waiting for the new “Thouroughbred Core” Athlon XP’s to come out.

Maybe they might actually clock 2Ghz? :eek:

Why Athlons? Just wondering. I’m choosing an Intel 1.7 for my next upgrade. I’ve heard Athlons heat up to fast and can cause problems, or maybe that was just when gaming.

Originally posted by ant4bud
Why Athlons? Just wondering. I’m choosing an Intel 1.7 for my next upgrade. I’ve heard Athlons heat up to fast and can cause problems, or maybe that was just when gaming.

These were just rumors.

Athalons consistantly beat Pentiums of similiar speed rating (2100+ = 2100 Hz).

And they’re faster for DivX encoding.

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
[B]

Athalons consistantly beat Pentiums of similiar speed rating (2100+ = 2100 Hz).
[/B]

The Athlon XP2100+ does not work at 2.1 GHz
the 1900 runs at 1,667 MHz if I am not mistaken (never checked that, and I own one :wink: )

Athlons produce more heat, yes.
For a lot of purposes Athlon kicks Intel’s behind, but in certain other field Intel kicks AMD’s behind…

The battle between AMD and Intel all depends on what you want to use it for, each have their strong points.

Would have expected this to be in the General Hardware, rather than Living room)

1gig Duron 1gig ram, teac w524e - xp and 52x creative labs, winxp going to be replaced by xp1700 soon!
200 mhz Intel with 256 ram, sony 8x, xp
1 750 athlon, 256 mb ram, win2k pro
650 athlon 512 mb (server box), plex12x, win2000 server
433 celeron workstation, xp, 384 mb ram,
p90 gateway. win95
486 laptop win 98, client site network troubleshooter computer
2 p60 mhz1 900 t-bird liteon 24x
p3-500 win2k mitsumi 4804te

Shit I have too many computers. 10.
A couple of them are going to be scrapped…

Originally posted by Da_Taxman

The Athlon XP2100+ does not work at 2.1 GHz
the 1900 runs at 1,667 MHz if I am not mistaken (never checked that, and I own one :wink: )

It runs at 1.667 Ghz, but it is comparable to a 1.9 Ghz intel computer. Intel has more clock cycles per second, but AMD does more per clock cycle.

No kidding cloakdoa? :slight_smile:

Anyway I have:
AMD Athlon 1ghz
256mb ddr
60gb IBM
ELSA GF3
LTR-32123S
and a case and keyboard and stuff… :wink:

No Kidding…

The electric bill is about 175 us dollars amonth

How about you scrap some of those computers my way:)

Anyway, now i’m a little bit torn between an intel and Athlon. Can I get everybodys opinion. Thanks

The battle between AMD and Intel all depends on what you want to use it for, each have their strong points

What would you use each for? Strong points?

Originally posted by ant4bud
What would you use each for? Strong points?

Strong points of AMD:

Has DivX optimizations, supports DDRRAM and SDRAM (Intel only supports RRARM.), out-performs Intel on many “complex” operations, cheaper.

Strong Points of Intel:

Faster for simpler operations, has SSE2, and has Microsoft support.

All in all, I would use AMD for processing the Number Field Sieve, Pentium for Implementing cryptography, and AMD for Linux (Linux users are in love with AMD, myself included, so many programs have AMD optimizations in Linux. I don’t know why.)

I have an AMD Athlon at home and its pretty good for most applications. However the chip does tend to overheat when playing games. You really need a good cooling system in your case to play decent games. This isn’t a rumor, the chip overheated in my house and at work, as well as at several of my Athlon owning friends’ houses.

the 1900 runs at 1,667 MHz

I guess I will have to do my research on AMD but is there list that tells what the speed of these processors really are? Also, the intel motherboard I want… D850gb… Do intel motherboards accept AMD processors, Or does it depend on that certain motherboard. Thanks.

well, actually AMD produces cheaper cpu than Intel and with similar performance, but i think that with the present tecnology Athlon XP processors have reached its top. what’s the use of having 2,7 GB\s memory (pc2700 ddr 333) or 2,4 GB\s (pc 2400) when the cpu limit is 2,1 GB\s?
then i have to correct Sir David Guy: Intel p4 DOES SUPPORT DDR!
and it does way better than athlon, infact p4 2,4 GHz has 3,2 GB\s bandwidth. soon Intel will switch to 533 Mhz FSB (133x4 quad pumped) and the bandwidth will increase accordingly- i want to remember that now p4 uses 400 MHz FSB (100x4).
What does this mean? It means that when DDR400 will be out, only P4 will be able to use it to its full potential, because Athlon cpu are scheduled not to change till 2nd half of 2003.
However Athlon xp cpu are GOOD and CHEAP (only 350 € for 2100+!) while p4 @2400 costs about 800 €.
Ah, what’s the problem with amd cpus overheating? just get a good cooler, it’s natural that these overheat, since amd uses a different tecnology (i think it’s 0,18 micron, while p4 is 0,13, but i’m NOT SURE).
however i think Athlon xp +DDR pc2100 is the way to go now, just get an ATA133 hd or raid with a good mobo (i love ABIT)

The ASUS A7V333 or EPoX 8KH3+ are other good options.

Thanks for the insight Auron. I might have changed my mind after all from an Intel to and AMD, but while I’m asking questions I’ve heard that Intel’s have a better warranty (last longer). A cpu that that lasts is important to me. I’ve had my p3 600 forever.

In quality the Intel and AMD cpus do not differ, they’re both A-brand products.

The myth that AMD is of lower quality was brought into this world by Intel advocates. In the past (up to AMD K5) there was some truth in this perhaps, but most problems then were caussed by incompatible software, rather than incompatible hardware.

Whether AMD or Intel best suits your needs all depends on your applications. If you use applications that are specifically designed for Intel, you will of course be better off with Intel, but the reverse applies as well, when you mainly use applications best designed for AMD, you are better off with AMD.

It is the same as choosing your car. Some like a family car so they can bring the kids to school safely, others would prefer a truck because they have to transport goods all the time for their business for example…

There is no simple answer to the question ‘What is best’, but there might be to the question ‘What is the best for me considering <describe your use’

Quote by Tax

There is no simple answer to the question ‘What is best’, but there might be to the question 'What is the best for me considering

Exactly.
I agree with that.

When talking about reliability on AMD cpu`s, I have no bad experiences. For what that is worth, we need some more statements to make it statistically valid. :smiley:
At least 5 of my friends and me bought AMD quite long ago, K5-K6-K62, and as far as I know all puters are still working just fine. My K6 200 is overclocked to a whopping 233 MHz, and it has not missed a beat in those four years I have owned it. It is rarely used now, however.
My current system is also AMD. :slight_smile:
700 MHz Duron @ 918 MHz running in an Abit KT7-Raid.

AFAIK, it is quite rare for cpus to fail. The part breaking down most often seems to be the hard drives, they have quite a few moving parts.