I'm confused by Sandy Bridge base clock rumors

Can anybody understand this:

There are rumors that the Z68 chipset and the Sandy Bridge E CPU won’t have a locked base clock anymore. This far everything’s clear: Nehalem/Westmere had unlocked base clocks with a 133MHz default. First Sandy Bridge chips have a locked base clock. AFAIK at 100MHz (how is it 1333MHz RAM clock then, but that’s another story…).

But know it comes: The rumor says that the reason for being unlocked again is the fact that the base clock is back on the chipset! What?? Isn’t the reason simpy that it won’t be locked anymore and that’s it. No matter where the base clock is?

But that’s not all: Didn’t rumors say prior to that all that the base clock will be on the chipset on P67/inital Sandy Bridge??

I don’t get it anymore… :a

So, I don’t know either. But it seems there will be an ‘E’ series and it might not be s1155 but more like s2011, but we don’t know yet it seems.

“Intel Sandy Bridge E Processors are to come with an unlocked base clock. There are also rumors about a Z68 Chipset that came with what was referred to as “Performance Over Clocking” support”

read more HERE :cool:

Yeah,. it’s a complex issue, isn’t it. It’s still very far about knowing practically anything. My personal feeling is that Z68 will be the main and only LGA2011 chipset. Maybe intel dropped a X68 name to make clear that the big chipset line is not mainly for Extreme Edition CPUs “and also” for non-XE 1366/2011 CPUs, but is meant for the XE and non-XE 1366/2011 CPUs in the very same way. But that’s just my personal little speculations. It’s really sad that Sandy Bridge is coming out in January and no report on the net can assure the correct location of the base clock. One says it’s in the P67 another says it’s in the CPU.

I have sorted it out correctly now by reading a lot:

On the Nehalem architecture the main clock generator was on the motherboard which is traditional design. It was always there. For Nehalem it was a 133MHz generator.

PCI-E and SATA had one or two seperate 100MHz generators which I don’t know where they reside.

The Sandy Bridge platform has an integrated 100MHz generator. Having a choice of putting it into the CPU or the PCH, intel chose to put it into the PCH. socket 2011 + The Sandy Bridge E + X68 PCH platform will put the clock generator back to the motherboard.

And the restriction of modifying the clock does not have anything to do with the position of the generator of course. The problem is that intel created a unified generator from main CPU clocks down to USB clock. PCI-E, SATA and USB fail after increasing just a few MHz base clock. If there’s a hard restriction besides that I don’t know.

With the external generator for the X68 PCH an access to different multipliers will be possible again from BIOS.

I was also able to understand full Sandy Bridge internals. But this is a lot and I had a huge headache after having read for days about it. The parts that are relevant for end-consumers is very little and simple facts. It’s just tons of false info and tons of true but pro facts you have to go through before you can seperate that little form the huge masses. The ring bus and those things are really interesting design. So it was worth the work. :slight_smile:

Z68 PCH: This is nothing official yet afaik. What I said above was in previous post was in the thought that it’s official. On that “leaked” card it says socker 1155. If Z68 is not a rumor, it’s indeed a third chipset. A special chipset with external generator for the 1155 Sandy Bridges.